There You Go

Old April 26th 09, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

Default There You Go

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "tww1491" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Speaker of the Truth" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >> See what I mean about the company GM having their heads up their
> >> asses. They
> >> get rid of Pontiac and keep Buick.
> >>

> > GM today still reflects the marketing philosophy of the 50s
> > (Sloanism). In those days, when you were starting out as a young
> > man (women stayed at home in those days for the most part) you began
> > with Chevrolet and progressed through Pontiac, Olds and so forth
> > until you had arrived -- at Cadillac. My Dad, a corporate executive
> > with Firestone in those days when it was still an American company,
> > drove a Caddy (except for an abortive disaster with a 57 Lincoln).
> > So, if you were someone you would not be caught dead in a Chevy; of
> > course a Corvette was OK for the more adventurous. The
> > distinctiveness Pontiac, Buick and so forth had in those days is now
> > blurred and has become essentially badge engineering. So, to me it
> > makes sense to move beyond that.Other than Corvette I gave up on GM
> > years ago and have driven Hondas -- even though I could easily buy
> > a Caddy.

> Not sure I agree with all of that, Buick is doing their homework and
> catering to those that want a quiet, trouble free automobile, the WWII
> babies, as Honda is doing. They have done that pretty well were as
> Pontiac is offering nothing more than what you can get in a Chevrolet
> with a different skin, ala the '50s. Pontiac will join Oldsmobile as a
> thing of the past and a casualty of the Obomanation rule.

Not sure I agree with all of *that*, because the oldest boomers are hitting
SS age now and the youngest boomers are almost 50. I think it's the next
generation down that is getting marketed to more.

Being an outboard mechanic I have about given up on new electronic cars and
will likely get an older (southern) piece of American Iron for the next
family car - one I can fix 99% of the problems without an electronic degree.
A low miles 70's pickup truck (with a 6) would do me just fine now. Then I
don;t have to deal with any of the bastiches again.

-W

Old April 26th 09, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Speaker of the Truth" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> See what I mean about the company GM having their heads up their asses.
>>> They
>>> get rid of Pontiac and keep Buick.
>>>

>> GM today still reflects the marketing philosophy of the 50s (Sloanism).
>> In those days, when you were starting out as a young man (women stayed at
>> home in those days for the most part) you began with Chevrolet and
>> progressed through Pontiac, Olds and so forth until you had arrived -- at
>> Cadillac. My Dad, a corporate executive with Firestone in those days
>> when it was still an American company, drove a Caddy (except for an
>> abortive disaster with a 57 Lincoln). So, if you were someone you would
>> not be caught dead in a Chevy; of course a Corvette was OK for the more
>> adventurous. The distinctiveness Pontiac, Buick and so forth had in
>> those days is now blurred and has become essentially badge engineering.
>> So, to me it makes sense to move beyond that.Other than Corvette I gave
>> up on GM years ago and have driven Hondas -- even though I could easily
>> buy a Caddy.

> Not sure I agree with all of that, Buick is doing their homework and
> catering to those that want a quiet, trouble free automobile, the WWII
> babies, as Honda is doing. They have done that pretty well were as Pontiac
> is offering nothing more than what you can get in a Chevrolet with a
> different skin, ala the '50s. Pontiac will join Oldsmobile as a thing of
> the past and a casualty of the Obomanation rule.

In the end, I suppose it does not matter anyway. I suppose the Obama
administration will press ahead with the grandiose plans to spend and spend
us out of the recession. I have a very bad feeling that the worst is still
to come... inflation and no one will want our paper. But, this is not venue
for this little fit of anger.

Old April 27th 09, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"tww1491" > wrote in message news:Fc5Jl.114447

> and no one will want our paper.

Heh... China will. )

-W

Old May 3rd 09, 01:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
NapalmHeart[_2_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "tww1491" > wrote in message news:Fc5Jl.114447
>
>> and no one will want our paper.

> Heh... China will. )
>
> -W

They're getting a little nervous at all of the "stimulus spending."