Help needed - 96 Z3 Window motor replacement

Old August 9th 08, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jmiller0666

Default Help needed - 96 Z3 Window motor replacement

Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions. I can do most
things to my M3 with http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e36 but its not
helping me with the window motor replacement. Any thoughts would be
helpful. Thanks, JM PS: This things was a sadly maintained car
from NY. My friend paid WAY too much for her but I intend to spruce
her up nice!
Old August 9th 08, 08:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:56:54 -0700 (PDT), jmiller0666 >
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions. I can do most
>things to my M3 with http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e36 but its not
>helping me with the window motor replacement. Any thoughts would be
>helpful. Thanks, JM PS: This things was a sadly maintained car
>from NY. My friend paid WAY too much for her but I intend to spruce
>her up nice!

C'mon - if you have the experience to even think about working on a door etc
then you don't need instructions. 99% of parts come apart as they do on any
other car. Door cards - remove any obvious screws and pull starting with a wide
flat blade under one of the edges to start the clips off. - lift card off door
and there you will find the workings. unscrew the bolts etc and unplug the
connectors and un hook the window glass - might be bolted to the mechanism.

Job done.

Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 9th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jmiller0666

On Aug 9, 3:47*am, wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:56:54 -0700 (PDT), jmiller0666 >
> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions. *I can do most
> >things to my M3 withhttp://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e36*but its not
> >helping me with the window motor replacement. *Any thoughts would be
> >helpful. *Thanks, JM * *PS: This things was a sadly maintained car
> >from NY. *My friend paid WAY too much for her but I intend to spruce
> >her up nice!

> C'mon - if you have the experience to even think about working on a door etc
> then you don't need instructions. 99% of parts come apart as they do on any
> other car. Door cards - remove any obvious screws and pull starting with a wide
> flat blade under one of the edges to start the clips off. - lift card off door
> and there you will find the workings. unscrew the bolts etc and unplug the
> connectors and un hook the window glass - might be bolted to the mechanism.
>
> Job done.
>
> Hugh
> --
>
> Sir Hugh of Bognor
>
> The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
>
> Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!
>
> Hugh Gundersen
>
> Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

I just cant figure out how to remove the motor. I already have the
door apart - that was easy... Any further help?
Old August 9th 08, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:09:00 -0700 (PDT), jmiller0666
> wrote:

>I just cant figure out how to remove the motor. I already have the
>door apart - that was easy... Any further help?

At <www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do> you can select your particular
car's build details via its VIN, then drill down into exploded parts
diagrams. It may give you some insight into how it all goes together,
and hence how to remove it.
--
Dan.
Old August 9th 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

It's not hard. I replaced a window motor in an E46, which is probably a
little different, and it was not too difficult.

You can not replace just the motor though, you have to replace the entire
window regulator mechanism.

I went on eBay and found a new window regulator, and when it arrived, I was
able to look at it and see what parts had to come off in order to get it in.

The window regulator comes with the cable all wound around the pullies. All
you do is take the nuts off of the door and the window, and the regulator
comes out pretty easily. The new one drops in place and you put the nuts
back on, and you're ready to go. (I assume you already can take the door
panel off ... )

Old August 9th 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:56:54 -0700 (PDT), jmiller0666
> >
> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions. I can do most
>>things to my M3 with http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e36 but its not
>>helping me with the window motor replacement. Any thoughts would be
>>helpful. Thanks, JM PS: This things was a sadly maintained car
>>from NY. My friend paid WAY too much for her but I intend to spruce
>>her up nice!

> C'mon - if you have the experience to even think about working on a door
> etc
> then you don't need instructions. 99% of parts come apart as they do on
> any
> other car. Door cards - remove any obvious screws and pull starting with a
> wide
> flat blade under one of the edges to start the clips off. - lift card off
> door
> and there you will find the workings. unscrew the bolts etc and unplug the
> connectors and un hook the window glass - might be bolted to the
> mechanism.
>
> Job done.
>
> Hugh

The problem, Hugh, is that lots of cars allow the motor to be removed
independently of the regulator. BMW demands the entire regulator be
replaced, one can not replace just the motor.