Problems putting power brakes on 67 Camaro

Old February 11th 05, 01:30 PM
lcifers

Default Problems putting power brakes on 67 Camaro

My brother put a brake booster on his 67 Camaro to convert to power
brakes, but the brakes are way too sensitive. the car has a high
performance engine that probably pulls much more vacuum than stock.
Could this be the problem? Is there a device to limit the vacuum to the
booster?

Thanks.

- Luther

Old February 11th 05, 02:57 PM
tom

did he use a power brake master?? there is a difference
oups.com...

Old February 12th 05, 11:50 AM
Nate Nagel

lcifers wrote:

> My brother put a brake booster on his 67 Camaro to convert to power
> brakes, but the brakes are way too sensitive. the car has a high
> performance engine that probably pulls much more vacuum than stock.
> Could this be the problem? Is there a device to limit the vacuum to the
> booster?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Luther

Luther,

first of all a high performance engine generally does not pull more
vacuum than stock; a performance camshaft tends to lower vacuum at idle.
Secondly, I imagine your brother's problem is that he probably bolted
on a booster but did not change the pedal assembly; there are probably
two holes in the brake pedal (one for manual brakes and one for power)
or else he needs a pedal and maybe pushrod from a car with power brakes.
I'd talk to someone who knows old Chevys to see exactly what you need
to do.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 13th 05, 12:59 AM
lcifers

Nate Nagel wrote:
> lcifers wrote:
>
> > My brother put a brake booster on his 67 Camaro to convert to power
> > brakes, but the brakes are way too sensitive. the car has a high
> > performance engine that probably pulls much more vacuum than stock.
> > Could this be the problem? Is there a device to limit the vacuum to

the
> > booster?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > - Luther
> >

> Luther,
>
> first of all a high performance engine generally does not pull more
> vacuum than stock; a performance camshaft tends to lower vacuum at

idle.
> Secondly, I imagine your brother's problem is that he probably

bolted
> on a booster but did not change the pedal assembly; there are

probably
> two holes in the brake pedal (one for manual brakes and one for

power)
> or else he needs a pedal and maybe pushrod from a car with power

brakes.
> I'd talk to someone who knows old Chevys to see exactly what you

need
> to do.
>
> good luck,
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

OK, thanks. He's going to check that. Yes, it does have a power master
cylinder.

Thanks.

- Luther

Old February 13th 05, 10:04 PM
pnsman64

Is this why my 67 Plymouth losses most of its power brakes when backing it
up at low idle? It has a 318 and I did put a mild performance cam in it?
What can I do or try to correct this? If I do not keep the idle up it gets
a little hairy at times with no brakes. Not to mention dangerous!
Greg

Old February 13th 05, 11:19 PM
v8z

two words - vacuum accumulator