Thermostat Question

Old November 17th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Thermostat Question

My 96 chevy truck was running cool according to the temp gauge so when
I replaced the water pump, I flushed out the cooling system and put in
a new 195 degree thermostat along with Dex-Cool antifreeze. Now it runs
even cooler! It is my understanding that the engine runs more
effeciently at the design temp, 195. If this is true, how in the heck
do I get it to run hotter? It used to run hotter when new... Maybe the
gauge is lying to me? Maybe the thermostat (a Thompson from NAPA) is no
good?

Would you guys please advise me on what to do?

thanks,
Libby

Old November 17th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Libby Chantel > wrote:
>My 96 chevy truck was running cool according to the temp gauge so when
>I replaced the water pump, I flushed out the cooling system and put in
>a new 195 degree thermostat along with Dex-Cool antifreeze. Now it runs
>even cooler! It is my understanding that the engine runs more
>effeciently at the design temp, 195. If this is true, how in the heck
>do I get it to run hotter? It used to run hotter when new... Maybe the
>gauge is lying to me? Maybe the thermostat (a Thompson from NAPA) is no
>good?
>
>Would you guys please advise me on what to do?

The thermostat is the only thing that can cause the problem (other than
a bad temperature gauge or sensor). A bad water pump or bad coolant
will cause it to run hot because it's not cooling _enough_. Your problem
is that it is cooling _too much_.

Do the thermostat. It is a _lot_ easier than swapping the water pump.
--scott

Old November 17th 05, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

How are you determining your engine's temperature? I doubt the dash
gauge is particularly accurate - especially on a 10 year old truck.

Ed

Old November 17th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

: )
I had already replaced the water pump because the bearing failed. At
the same time I replaced the thermostat and the coolant. Now it runs at
about 160 with a new 195 thermostat, which is the problem I am
currently trying to solve.

Thanks,
Libby

"una mas cervaza, por favor, señorita."

Old November 17th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 17 Nov 2005 07:59:08 -0800, > wrote:
>: )
> I had already replaced the water pump because the bearing failed. At
> the same time I replaced the thermostat and the coolant. Now it runs at
> about 160 with a new 195 thermostat, which is the problem I am
> currently trying to solve.

If you've got a 195 thermostat in and it never runs above 160, then either
your temp gauge is off or the thermostat is bad. I don't believe your
engine would be able to stay at 160 with the thermostat closed.

John.
Old November 17th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Temperature gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Most thermostats open at the correct temperature, but some do not. About a year ago I replaced an old thermostat that opened at about 185 degF with a new one that opened at about 205 degF. Both were rated for 195 degF. The rated temperature is the temperature at which the thermostat is supposed to start opening. If you put a 195 degF thermostat in a pan of water and heat it, it should start to open at 195 deg and be fully opened at about 210 deg. When my new thermostat was only half open with the water boiling I new it was out of specs.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old November 17th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

How is the interior heat level?

If it is the same or not noticeably different, then I would suspect the
connection on the sender or just a crappie sender.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 17th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Interior heat is not noticeably different. Heater is not as hot as it
used to be when truck was new.

Would this work: get it to operating temp then stick a cookie
thermometer into the water and read the temp accurately, in order to
verify thermostat? If it is really 160 it shouldn't spew out when I
open the cap, right? If it does I can put the thermometer into the
overflow cannister and check it that way.

Thanks,
Libby

Old November 17th 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Libby Chantel" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Interior heat is not noticeably different. Heater is not as hot as it
> used to be when truck was new.
>
> Would this work: get it to operating temp then stick a cookie
> thermometer into the water and read the temp accurately, in order to
> verify thermostat? If it is really 160 it shouldn't spew out when I
> open the cap, right? If it does I can put the thermometer into the
> overflow cannister and check it that way.
>
> Thanks,
> Libby

none of that is a good idea, best is to use a aftermarket gauge to check
the temp. second is use a touchless remote sensor (infrared thermoter)
the block and tstat housing, it has worked pretty good for me. and you
can check the rad and rest of the system for poor performance. KB

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Old November 17th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Libby Chantel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 96 chevy truck was running cool according to the temp gauge so when

I just drove back from Houston today during a cool snap, and have noticed
the same apparent lack of engine heat. I think it is really only due to a
very
inaccurate dash temperature gauge, since the car ran fine and got reasonable
mileage.

I have seen people put cardboard or other in front of the radiator to
partially
block the airflow. That would be an easy solution, but I wouldnt do it
unless
I were darn sure about the actual temperature.