Temp Gauge reads high.

Old August 11th 04, 06:56 AM
Al Reed

Default Temp Gauge reads high.

Any advice appreciated. The temp gauge reads high in my 64 stingray.
pushing on the back of the instrument panel in the vicinity of the gauge
causes it to read closer to the actual temp.
Are there resistance issues that might be resolved by removing the gauge and
cleaning all the connections?
TIA,

--
Al Goodkarmechanic

Old August 11th 04, 03:05 PM
Tedd Riggs

Al,
From the sound of it, it sure could be a bad connection. I am guessing
your 64 has a electric gauge and not mechanical ?
Would not hurt at all to pull the gauge and the wires off of it and use
some electric contact cleaner on them (Radio Shack (Electrical cleaner) or
most auto stores (Battery contact cleaner)). Also check the ground lead
that goes from the gauge to whatever ground source it is connected to. Vette
electrical issues are often bad grounds. Only thing that is a little bit of
a puzzle on this one is a bad connection or floating ground (ie ground reads
voltage instead of zero) usually makes gauges run low due to lack of
voltage. But if reads about right by pushing on the back, a bad connector
almost has to be the problem.
Your lucky its a 64 where you can actually reach the gauges....I would
hate to even think of that on my C5..think the dash would need to be pulled
off ! Love the 64's with all the many options of engines and transmissions
(14 I think) running from the 327-250 HP up to the high compression FI
327-375 HP versions. Nice "Old Lady" <g>

--
Tedd Riggs
Redmond, WA