RBR DEMO Controller Problems

Old December 29th 04, 05:11 PM
Jim Barbieri

Default RBR DEMO Controller Problems

I downloaded the RBR Demo and cannot get the controller assignments to work.
I have a TSW (USB) which works fine in other games.
The steering is fine but the throttle and brake don't work properly.
The throttle shows 50% red and goes to 100% when pressed.
The brakes show 100% red and go down to 0 when pressed.
In the game the throttle is assigned to the brake and there is no brake at
all.
Also...what is the Left and Right assignments and the Accelerate and Brake
combination ?
Thanks in advance,
Jim Barbieri

Old December 29th 04, 07:32 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:11:11 -0500, Jim Barbieri wrote:
> I downloaded the RBR Demo and cannot get the controller assignments to work.
> I have a TSW (USB) which works fine in other games.
> The steering is fine but the throttle and brake don't work properly.
> The throttle shows 50% red and goes to 100% when pressed.
> The brakes show 100% red and go down to 0 when pressed.
> In the game the throttle is assigned to the brake and there is no brake at
> all.
> Also...what is the Left and Right assignments and the Accelerate and Brake
> combination ?
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim Barbieri

Hi Jim,

is your TSW a gameport version connected to an USB converter or a
brand-new, factory-usb-equipped generic USB version?

I have RBR working fine on my gameport=>USB (Rockfire adapter) tsw2mod
wheel, but it did require a bit of fiddling with the wires.

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 29th 04, 11:22 PM
Jim Barbieri

uwe
It is a converted unit but it was done at the factory...if that makes a
difference.
Jim

Old December 30th 04, 10:41 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:22:55 -0500, Jim Barbieri wrote:
> uwe
> It is a converted unit but it was done at the factory...if that makes a
> difference.
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I guess having at done at the factory is the better way as I think
you'll achieve a higher resolution than with a run-of-the-mill usb
adapter and hi-spec pots.

So here's what you need to do, in order to get RBR to run with the
TSW (and I'd say it's worth it

- open up your pedal unit, locate the brake axis pot, you'll note it
has three soldering stations; if not, stop here ;-) if it has,
solder an additional short piece of wire to the third station which
is unoccupied.

- unplug the wire from the other station (not the one in the middle)
from the plastic connector where it enters the pedal base

- plug in the end of the other, newly-soldered wire into the pedal
unit connector where the other was plugged in before

This will reverse the motion of your brake axis, so now within RBR it
should go from zero to 100 as you depress it.

About the throttle: if your windows calibration crosshair is all
"jumpy" in the y direction on the slightest touch of the pedal, try to
depress it "slightly" all the time while calibrating it, never fully
releasing it.

Also, playing with the filter settings in rbr's controller setup can /
might help a lot.

Please note that all these instructions are based on my non-converted
tsw2mod gameport version of this most excellent wheel.

Let me know if you need more help and & I'll be happy to try and
provide it.

Cheers & good luck,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 30th 04, 11:47 AM
Malc

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:22:55 -0500, Jim Barbieri wrote:
> > uwe
> > It is a converted unit but it was done at the factory...if that makes a
> > difference.
> > Jim

> Hi Jim,

> This will reverse the motion of your brake axis, so now within RBR it
> should go from zero to 100 as you depress it.

Just a quick note to add hat this will mean you need to re-assign the
controls in your other sims Jim, but all the other ones should have no
problems dealing with the revised setup.

RBR is worth the effort and split axis pedals are pretty much essential (for
left-foot braking) but it seems to have been designed with only Logitech
wheels in mind. It works straight out of the box with a Momo for example.

Malc.

Old December 30th 04, 10:06 PM
Jim Barbieri

Thanks for your response. I am going to run it by Dave Thomas (TSW) before
I try it. I had some problems after my conversion, which they worked out,
but I am a bit apprehensive about changing wiring.
Jim

Old December 30th 04, 11:33 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:06:49 -0500, Jim Barbieri wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I am going to run it by Dave Thomas (TSW) before
> I try it. I had some problems after my conversion, which they worked out,
> but I am a bit apprehensive about changing wiring.
> Jim

Hi Jim,

you're not changing the wiring, just unplugging one wire and sticking
in another which you've soldered to the pot, so actually you're
"adding" to the setup, not removing anything. At least this is what
did the trick for me on my non-converted tsw2.

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 30th 04, 11:37 PM
alexti

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:22:55 -0500, Jim Barbieri wrote:
>> uwe
>> It is a converted unit but it was done at the factory...if that makes a
>> difference. Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> I guess having at done at the factory is the better way as I think
> you'll achieve a higher resolution than with a run-of-the-mill usb
> adapter and hi-spec pots.
>
> So here's what you need to do, in order to get RBR to run with the
> TSW (and I'd say it's worth it
>
> - open up your pedal unit, locate the brake axis pot, you'll note it
> has three soldering stations; if not, stop here ;-) if it has,
> solder an additional short piece of wire to the third station which
> is unoccupied.
>
> - unplug the wire from the other station (not the one in the middle)
> from the plastic connector where it enters the pedal base
>
> - plug in the end of the other, newly-soldered wire into the pedal
> unit connector where the other was plugged in before
>
> This will reverse the motion of your brake axis, so now within RBR it
> should go from zero to 100 as you depress it.

I'm curious: doesn't setting InvertBrakeAxis = true in input.ini help?
On my controller (MSFF) it inverts the reading (not that I actually need
it, but I've tested it)

> About the throttle: if your windows calibration crosshair is all
> "jumpy" in the y direction on the slightest touch of the pedal, try to
> depress it "slightly" all the time while calibrating it, never fully
> releasing it.

You can also try to use DXTweak, check the "raw" range of your controller
and then manually enter the range in the right pane. There you can enter
"center" point explicitly (set it to average of min and max values). This
way you won't need any windows calibration. It worked for me (and I
couldn't make it work through windows calibration)

Alex.