GT exhaust fit w/oil filter pump?

Old January 11th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default GT exhaust fit w/oil filter pump?

Hey guys, I have an oil filter pump on my 73 bug, and I'm wondering if
one of those aftermarket "GT" exhausts would clear the pump. Has
anybody ever tried this? Thanks,
-Brian G.

Old January 12th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I don't know why you are going to put a GT exhausts, but I don't think
it is a good idea. If you are using a stock carburetor and manifold and
the manifold heater isn't blocked, it will be soon with that GT
exhausts. If you are using dual carbs then it will be no problem.

Joao

Old January 13th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

BrianTheDude wrote:
> Hey guys, I have an oil filter pump on my 73 bug,

I used to have an oil filter pump on my 73 bug.
No problem with clearance with a single quiet pack muffler, but I did
have a clearance problem with the stock muffler.

One day I had a big problem with the filter pump.
I had a thick oil, 15 W40 or 20 W50, in the engine.
It was cold one morning, the oil was thick, and caused the oil filter
to 'implode'.
Oil was all over the driveway.

Also in hot weather, the hot air coming out from under the engine would
heat the metal oil filter which then acted as an oil heater making a
hotter engine.
OK for short trips I suppose.

I no longer use the filter pump and do not recomend them.
A few years ago John C. of aircooled.net recomended to me to change my
oil every 1000 miles if I did not have an oil filter.

Old January 13th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ......It was cold one morning, the oil was thick, and caused the oil

filter
> to 'implode'......
> ....Also in hot weather, the hot air coming out from under the engine

would
> heat the metal oil filter which then acted as an oil heater making a
> hotter engine.....

This sounds to me like a bad filter. The oil should bypass immediately to
the exit portof the filter when it is too thick.

I don't think it is possible for exhaust cooling air to make the engine
hotter, all by itself. The temperature of the air will be cooler than that
of the oil and it is only that the air's ability to absorb heat will have
been reduced. The oil filter is also not a 'heat exchanger', so the ability
of the air to either cool or heat the oil is severely reduced.

Old January 13th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

All parts on my engine are stock and it works great. You only have to
insure that all stock parts are working as design. If you don't like
issues then apply the KISS methodology on our engine.

Joao

Old January 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Peter" > wrote in message

I don't think it is possible for exhaust cooling air to make the engine
> hotter, all by itself. The temperature of the air will be cooler than
> that
> of the oil and it is only that the air's ability to absorb heat will have
> been reduced. The oil filter is also not a 'heat exchanger', so the
> ability
> of the air to either cool or heat the oil is severely reduced.

it is more a transfer of heat (radiant) from the exhaust pipes to the filter
and pump...with your standard aftermarket header, the filter is neslted
among the pipes that cross in the rear of the engine...a filter pump i used
to have actually touched the header at the flange where the filter
mounted....wore a nice little flat spot in the aluminum flange....

Old January 13th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I run 15-50 in my engine with a pump and I use quality filters and do not have any problems. Stick with a Wix, Mobil 1,
Purolator etc.

Screw Fram and their ilk.