Low growl from transaxle?

Old September 15th 16, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

Default Low growl from transaxle?

Hiya,

I have an Nissan Altima four-cylinder 2006
and there seems to be a moan from the transaxle
developing.

The faster I go the more pronounced the noise is,
however, usually the road noise from the tires
drowns out the moan.

It has an automatic transmission and 111,000 miles
on it. Thru-out its time with me its been babied.

Are there other places on the car that could be
suspect of where the moan is comming from? I get
no feed back from the steering wheel or the seat
of the pants.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 17th 16, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause

"geo pearl" wrote:

> The faster I go the more pronounced the noise is,
> however, usually the road noise from the tires
> drowns out the moan.
>
> Are there other places on the car that could be
> suspect of where the moan is comming from?

Wheel bearing?

Old September 17th 16, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Sanity Clause wrote:
> "geo pearl" wrote:
>
>> The faster I go the more pronounced the noise is,
>> however, usually the road noise from the tires
>> drowns out the moan.
>>
>> Are there other places on the car that could be
>> suspect of where the moan is comming from?

> Wheel bearing?

Could be. To the OP, Take the car out to a reasonably straight flat
road. Drive at a speed where you can hear the moan. Now steer back and
forth like you were running a slalom course. Does the sound change (get
louder/go away) when turning either direction?
Lightly touch the brakes to add some drag, any change then?

Get up to the speed that it moans and shift into neutral while keeping
the engine turning the same rpms.Any changes then?

--
Steve W.
Old September 18th 16, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

It probably is a wheelbearing. I was braking while going down a hill/exit ramp and the noise was suddenly quite pronounced. Will the repairman replace the bearings on both wheels?