fuel tank capacity

Old September 17th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Arold \Al\ Green

Default fuel tank capacity

Hi,
I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was
still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this
accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon.
Thanks,
Al
__
Arold "Al" Green
Old September 17th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Arold "Al" Green wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was
> still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this
> accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon.
> Thanks,
> Al
> __
> Arold "Al" Green

It is an either or situation on the TJ I believe unlike the YJ were they
just 'faked' the 15 gallon tank by moving the filler vent.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old September 17th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:20:17 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>It is an either or situation on the TJ I believe unlike the YJ were they
>just 'faked' the 15 gallon tank by moving the filler vent.

Actually if you really knew anything you would know that 15 gallons is
standard and there was a option for a 20 gallon tank.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old September 17th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3442_]

http://www.gottrail.com/TJ/TJfueltankconversion.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 17th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Sep 17, 1:05 pm, "Arold \"Al\" Green" >
wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was
> still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this
> accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon.
> Thanks,
> Al
> __
> Arold "Al" Green

Both the TJ and later YJ tanks can be converted to 20 gallons by
trimming the vent tube. The only problem is that your gauge will read
full until the last 15 gallons start being used.

Old September 17th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

nrs wrote:
> On Sep 17, 1:05 pm, "Arold \"Al\" Green" >
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was
>> still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this
>> accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon.
>> Thanks,
>> Al
>> __
>> Arold "Al" Green

> Both the TJ and later YJ tanks can be converted to 20 gallons by
> trimming the vent tube. The only problem is that your gauge will read
> full until the last 15 gallons start being used.

So they faked out some of the early TJ's too? I thought I remembered
something about that.

Old September 17th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Arold "Al" Green wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was
> still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this
> accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon.
> Thanks,
> Al
> __
> Arold "Al" Green

I was just reading around and found out you have a 19 gallon tank in
your 98 TJ.

If the sticker says it is a 15 gallon tank, they put a float ball
stopper in the fill tube so it shuts off at 15, but the tank is the same.

You can drop the tank and remove this ball by trimming the tube back.

Here is a link with directions about halfway down:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453329

You then would need the 19 gallon sender or just realize your gauge just
reads the bottom 3/4 of the tank. I have had cars like that...

Old September 18th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tracie

On Sep 17, 9:37 pm, c > wrote:
> Jeff DeWitt wrote:
> > Mike Romain wrote:

> >> I was just reading around and found out you have a 19 gallon tank in
> >> your 98 TJ.

> >> If the sticker says it is a 15 gallon tank, they put a float ball
> >> stopper in the fill tube so it shuts off at 15, but the tank is the same.

> > Why on Earth would they do something like that? You usually know what
> > your talking about and I'm not disputing you, it just sounds like a
> > really stupid thing to do... so if they really did do it I'm sure it was
> > to meet some goofy government regulation.

> > Jeff DeWitt

> I can't imagine why they would do that either, unless it was to make
> some easy money on people ordering the upgrade to the 20 gallon tank.
> There are sites all over the net on how to do the fix though.
>
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

They must've changed the spec sheets in later years, 'cause I have a
2006 Wrangler X and my spec sheet does say 19 gallons. However, the
manual states that when the 'low gas, dummy' light comes on, you have
approximately 2 gallons of gas left. I have intentionally travelled
as far as I have dared around my town with this light on (never more
than walking distance from a gas station if it quit), and even when I
fill it, I have never been able to put more than 17.5 gallons in it.
So I am not sure if the gauge reads wrong, or if the tank is not
really a 19 gallon tank.

Old September 18th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3483_]

It's a Daimler/Kraut thing, Americans wouldn't understand.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 18th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3484_]

Bingo!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

"c" > wrote in message

> I can't imagine why they would do that either, unless it was to make
> some easy money on people ordering the upgrade to the 20 gallon tank.
> There are sites all over the net on how to do the fix though.
>
> Chris

1995 Saturn SL1 - fuel tank capacity ??? Brian[_14_] Saturn 3 December 22nd 06 11:51 AM
'96 Cherokee Tank capacity idiot_free_in-MD Jeep 9 December 8th 06 03:10 AM
145 fuel capacity P Alfa Romeo 0 December 16th 05 08:35 PM
2004 Hyundai Elantra gas tank capacity Dan Technology 3 October 20th 05 08:23 PM
1985 gas tank capacity Gene Hoffman Corvette 1 May 28th 05 12:44 AM