Anyone replace their Accord condenser fan without removing radiator?

Old April 22nd 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Anyone replace their Accord condenser fan without removing radiator?

I need to replace the condenser fan, one of the two fans attached to
the radiator.
It seems to mount to the radiator with just 2 bolts on top (easily
accessible).
Has anyone done a replacement without removing the radiator?
Im trying to get an idea how difficult the job is going to be. Thanks

Background on the problem:

I have a 97 Accord with about 280K. Often the AC compressor will
shutdown (most likely from overheating), mostly when I am driving low
speeds or idling. On the freeway I NEVER have this problem. Engine
coolant temperature and coolant levels are fine. I discovered that
EVERYTIME I have this problem, the accessory (2nd) radiator fan isnt
spinning. I believe its this fan that helps cool the AC evaporator. If
I move the blades with a pencil, they do start spinning. Which means
the fan is getting electrical power. The bearings are probably
starting to go. No doubt I need to replace this electric fan.
Old April 22nd 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

wrote:

> I need to replace the condenser fan, one of the two fans attached to
> the radiator.
> It seems to mount to the radiator with just 2 bolts on top (easily
> accessible).
> Has anyone done a replacement without removing the radiator?
> Im trying to get an idea how difficult the job is going to be. Thanks
>
> Background on the problem:
>
> I have a 97 Accord with about 280K. Often the AC compressor will
> shutdown (most likely from overheating), mostly when I am driving low
> speeds or idling. On the freeway I NEVER have this problem. Engine
> coolant temperature and coolant levels are fine. I discovered that
> EVERYTIME I have this problem, the accessory (2nd) radiator fan isnt
> spinning. I believe its this fan that helps cool the AC evaporator. If
> I move the blades with a pencil, they do start spinning. Which means
> the fan is getting electrical power. The bearings are probably
> starting to go. No doubt I need to replace this electric fan.

I suspect that the fan just "fits in" on the bottom and also think it
may be motor brushes that are shot. Don't know if these motors can be
accessed like my earlier 80-83 can...

JT

Old April 22nd 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

You should be able to remove the 2-3 10mm bolts that holds the
condenser fan assembly to the radiator. Lifts right out, and then
replace the fan motor. $30 online or something ridiculous like that.
Or you can get a whole assembly from parts store for $200 with
lifetime warranty.

If you have a bolt on the bottom then it may be a hard reach,
depending on the size of your forearm. Otherwise easy job.

Old April 22nd 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Usually the brushes wear out and early too, because Honda's design it
almost always runs (climate control). You open that sucker up and the
black powder is all over the place. Must be what's left of the
brushes.