Old Topic - Left Front Turn Signal

Old August 21st 09, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_3_]

Default Old Topic - Left Front Turn Signal

My 2001 C5 had the fast flashing turn signal indicator doing it
thing telling me the lamp may be bad. I have learned how
to change the lamp but this one gets weird. I pulled the lamp
socket from the case and it started flashing. Nothing wrong
with the lamp. Put it back in place and close everything and
the next day it started flashing again.

I am starting to suspect a bad connection or lamp socket and
have no idea how you change the wiring harness or how to
remove it to be checked
Old August 21st 09, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_3_]

In article >,
aRKay > wrote:

> My 2001 C5 had the fast flashing turn signal indicator doing it
> thing telling me the lamp may be bad. I have learned how
> to change the lamp but this one gets weird. I pulled the lamp
> socket from the case and it started flashing. Nothing wrong
> with the lamp. Put it back in place and close everything and
> the next day it started flashing again.
>
> I am starting to suspect a bad connection or lamp socket and
> have no idea how you change the wiring harness or how to
> remove it to be checked

I removed and reinserted the bottom socket for the left front
turn signal and it is working again. I am not sure how long this
will last and really don't know how to replace the socket. I
have my fingers crossed
Old August 21st 09, 11:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ron in NY-67 427/435hp

aRKay > wrote:

>My 2001 C5 had the fast flashing turn signal indicator doing it
>thing telling me the lamp may be bad. I have learned how
>to change the lamp but this one gets weird. I pulled the lamp
>socket from the case and it started flashing. Nothing wrong
>with the lamp. Put it back in place and close everything and
>the next day it started flashing again.
>
>I am starting to suspect a bad connection or lamp socket and
>have no idea how you change the wiring harness or how to
>remove it to be checked

It's a bad bulb. The filament is broken, and when you disturb it, the filament
welds itself back onto the other side, but it only lasts until you hit a good
bump. Replace it---bulbs are cheap !!!

RON
67 435HP
KA2IIA
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old August 22nd 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_3_]

In article >,
(Ron in NY-67 427/435hp) wrote:
Ron,

Now that I think about it .....your right on. I have a new lamp
and probably made a bad decision to go with the old one that
started working again. The next time it goes out... I will trash
the old lamp and go with the new one.

Stay tuned

Old August 22nd 09, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ron in NY-67 427/435hp

"Dad" > wrote:

>Don't forget to use the grease that is used today to seal, maintain
>contact, and prevent corrosion. Don't recall it's name but it's the
>same stuff used on coil and spark plug boots.

It's called silicone dielectric grease.

RON
67/435HP
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old August 23rd 09, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ron in NY-67 427/435hp

aRKay > wrote:

>> ================================================== =========
>> It's called silicone dielectric grease.
>>

>> RON
>> 67/435HP
>> ================================================== ======
>> Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

>Ron,
>
>Just where do you apply the silicone dielectric grease? It is almost
>too hard to change the lamp must less grease something when you
>can't see what you are doing.
>
>The first time I tried (years ago) I did not get the lamp secure in
>the socket and that lamp is still riding around inside the lens case. I
>gave up trying to get it out. Tooooo hard

Apply it to the terminals of the bulb and then insert the bulb into the socket.

RON

Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Old August 23rd 09, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Ron in NY-67 427/435hp" > wrote in message
> aRKay > wrote:
>
>>> ================================================== =========
>>> It's called silicone dielectric grease.
>>>

>>> RON
>>> 67/435HP
>>> ================================================== ======
>>> Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

>>Ron,
>>
>>Just where do you apply the silicone dielectric grease? It is almost
>>too hard to change the lamp must less grease something when you
>>can't see what you are doing.
>>
>>The first time I tried (years ago) I did not get the lamp secure in
>>the socket and that lamp is still riding around inside the lens
>>case. I
>>gave up trying to get it out. Tooooo hard

> Apply it to the terminals of the bulb and then insert the bulb into
> the socket.
>
> RON

Also on the seal to minimize sticking as on the plug boots.