Rows of Pixels going Dead on Dashboard Display

Old October 27th 05, 04:50 PM
...Mike

Default Rows of Pixels going Dead on Dashboard Display

My '99 A6 has, intermittently, rows of the dashboard display going
blank. Most of the time it is fine - some days it is not. After
running a while it seems to get better. The rows are not always the
same. The most rows that have ever been out at one time is three. ( By
row, I mean a line of pixels). Could this be temp/moisture related?
Anything I can do? Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what it
might cost to fix this annoying problem?

Thanks...

....Mike
Old October 28th 05, 12:14 AM
Tim in Portland

My '00 A4 is doing the samething but worse. I've turned off the display all
together, and am not even considering the how much it would cost to replace
the piece. Any advice would be helpfull.

Tim in Portland

Old October 28th 05, 01:42 AM
Jay Somerset

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:50:23 -0400, "...Mike" > wrote:

> My '99 A6 has, intermittently, rows of the dashboard display going
> blank. Most of the time it is fine - some days it is not. After
> running a while it seems to get better. The rows are not always the
> same. The most rows that have ever been out at one time is three. ( By
> row, I mean a line of pixels). Could this be temp/moisture related?
> Anything I can do? Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what it
> might cost to fix this annoying problem?
>
> Thanks...
>
> ...Mike

I had a similar sitution that was temperature related. Under 50F some of
the odometer segments refused to work. When the interior of the car warmed
up, all was OK.

The dot-matrix displays also faded out occasionally. I had a new display
put in under warranty, and it's been Ok for a couple of years now.
--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old October 28th 05, 03:54 AM
Curtis Newton

wrote:

>My '99 A6 has, intermittently, rows of the dashboard display going
>blank. Most of the time it is fine - some days it is not. After
>running a while it seems to get better. The rows are not always the
>same. The most rows that have ever been out at one time is three. ( By
>row, I mean a line of pixels). Could this be temp/moisture related?
>Anything I can do? Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what it
>might cost to fix this annoying problem?

Take this for what it's worth ... when the dealer was trying to sell
me an extended warranty on my 2001 A4, he mentioned the dashboard
display problem.

If we are talking about the same thing, he said it was about $1200 to
repiar it.
Old October 28th 05, 11:50 AM
Cheeky Bee via CarKB.com

....Mike wrote:
>My '99 A6 has, intermittently, rows of the dashboard display going
>blank. Most of the time it is fine - some days it is not. After
>running a while it seems to get better. The rows are not always the
>same. The most rows that have ever been out at one time is three. ( By
>row, I mean a line of pixels). Could this be temp/moisture related?
>Anything I can do? Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what it
>might cost to fix this annoying problem?
>
>Thanks...
>
>...Mike

It appears to be a common problem - the whole unit has to be replaced and
your key coded etc. which seems ridiculous to have to spend (in the UK) about
£450 for the part and then extra for the set up. and installation I can't
believe that audi haven't sorted this out. There must be loads of well hacked
off owners all having this problem, which I understand also affects Saab cars
as well.

You might want to read (and weep) the following link

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1668074.phtml

Old October 29th 05, 07:22 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Jay Somerset > wrote:
>I had a similar sitution that was temperature related. Under 50F some of
>the odometer segments refused to work. When the interior of the car warmed
>up, all was OK.

My 2001 S4's radio display is very slow below 10-20F but is fine at
warmer temperatures.
--
John Carr )