old dry fiberglass?

Old February 16th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default old dry fiberglass?

A few years ago I picked up a wrecked 73. I replaced all the damaged
bodyparts with aftermarket panels and had it painted. It's been my daily
driver for three years, but now the paint is peeling on most of the
origional body panels in a big way. Since I am going to have to go through
it again this spring, is there something or any recomendations to condition
the fiberglass itself prior to priming? All of the newer panels are still
perfect? Thanks, Keith

Old February 16th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Keith Bennett wrote:
> A few years ago I picked up a wrecked 73. I replaced all the damaged
> bodyparts with aftermarket panels and had it painted. It's been my daily
> driver for three years, but now the paint is peeling on most of the
> origional body panels in a big way. Since I am going to have to go through
> it again this spring, is there something or any recomendations to condition
> the fiberglass itself prior to priming? All of the newer panels are still
> perfect? Thanks, Keith

Who painted it? No warranty?

Old February 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Keith Bennett" > wrote in message
>A few years ago I picked up a wrecked 73. I replaced all the damaged
>bodyparts with aftermarket panels and had it painted. It's been my
>daily driver for three years, but now the paint is peeling on most of
>the origional body panels in a big way. Since I am going to have to
>go through it again this spring, is there something or any
>recomendations to condition the fiberglass itself prior to priming?
>All of the newer panels are still perfect? Thanks, Keith

After you get it stripped it would be a good start to re-resin the
entire surface. The resin will be as good as the gel coat on the
replacement parts. Nasty job and hard to sand, but worth it. Then
again ask your paint supplier if you can get away with 1 or 2 coats of
epoxy primer and then follow it up with urethane primer before you
start block sanding. Pay close attention to the primer and how long it
can be on before you spray the next coat and the finish coat. There
are brands/types of the primer that should not be sanded and others
you can't sand enough. Some just get to hard for paint to stick
without sanding.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51