01 C5 Service Active Handling Soon - warning

Old February 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 01 C5 Service Active Handling Soon - warning

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> Personally I fail to see how a loose connection in
>> the passengers door will trigger an active handling message but I'd
>> never question public television.

> Interesting comment in that I carried the car in for two reasons.
> The
> primary reason was the Service Active Handling Soon message on the
> DIC
> and the second reason that I did not mention was the passenger
> window
> stopped working. The dealer fixed he passenger window by replacing
> the
> motor and just reset the communications error code associated with
> the
> DIC warning message. I did not think the two item were related
> but
> they did mention the window motor may have failed due to something
> with
> a wire. I really did not pay too much attention to why it failed. I
> just checked that is was working.
>
> aRKay

Now it makes sense, thanks for the feedback. Your dealer had more to
work with than you gave the group and it just didn't compute with what
was described.

There has been a number of times that the SAH warning has come on in
both the C5s and the C6. Owing to the probability that it is a very
sensitive system I never paid to much attention to the light. Normally
it goes off on the next restart and the code will reset itself after
50 restarts or sooner. The system in my C4 ('92) was a different story
because when it came on it pretty much stayed on. It was up in the
high 80K at the time and failed completely one morning on the way to
work in the rain. Took me for an interesting ride on a 90 degree
corner on wet pavement, my bad as much as anything. My dealer replaced
the computer and relieved me of a few days pay and it never did that
again.

On thing I'm blessed with is a dealer that has a service manager that
listens and will also tell you when he thinks you're wrong. Either way
he will deal with your problem and you're on your way.

Press the E/M button to shutdown the onboard DTC system. There is some
interesting information in there and I have opened it while driving
just to cut the monotony and see what's going on while on long trips.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 15th 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

WOW!!! the C4 Corvette's are so cool!!! i want one

Old February 15th 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Hi Dad,

"Dad" > wrote in message
> "Tip" > wrote in message
>>> Both of these stories sound strange, if the light
>>> was on any length of time it will take a hard set
>>> and the dealer should be able to diagnose and deal
>>> with the problem if there is one. What was the
>>> code, or did you open the computer and check it
>>> while it was on?

>> The story is the way it happens, at least for me.
>> Even if you leave the 'vette running and the guy who
>> writes you up sees the lights, they'll turn it off
>> while it waits for service and the mechanic won't
>> find a problem. As was said in an earlier post,
>> check all the connections. My loose connection was
>> in the connector to the passenger door. Pat Goss
>> mentioned the loose connection problem a few years
>> ago on Motor Week (PBS).
>>
>> Tip, '99 6spd coupe

> You didn't answer the question, maybe because I
> didn't ask it correctly. Did you open the computer
> and read the code while system (ignition) was on,
> (not the engine)? Next question is if you know how to
> open the computer? We all know how to identify a
> light, you need the code number.

I didn't open anything - the car was under warrantee at
the time. The problem was intermittant. It would
appear and disappear, and practically every electronic
system in the car - dash lights, every warning light on
the dash, every warning on the DIC, fuel gauges, radio,
etc. - was affected. Apparently it didn't leave a code
for the mechanic to read, since they never were able to
find a problem until they found the loose connector on
the passenger door when the power window failed.

> Personally I fail to see how a loose connection in
> the passengers door will trigger an active handling
> message but I'd never question public television.

The C5 uses a commincation network. Screw that up with
improper termination (bad connection) and you can get
reflections on the network that can affect the data.
(BTW, Motor Week also is on the "Speed" network.)

> Once again you need to kill the engine to display the
> DTC codes. To enter the onboard diagnostics, ignition
> on, engine off, press reset to acknowledge any
> warning messages present. Press options button and
> hold, and press the fuel button 4 times in 10
> seconds. DTC system will enter automatic mode and
> then go to manual mode when complete.
>
> Stay tuned and if you get it open I'll tell you how
> to close it or you can read your manual. The fuel,
> gages, trip options, E/M, and reset buttons allow you
> to navigate forward and back and remove codes from
> the DTC.
>
> Yes, I have the list of codes and their function if
> you can retrieve it I give it to you.

The problem was fixed four years ago, but thanks for
the help. If I have a problem again, I know where to
go now - thanks!

Tip

Old February 15th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Tip" > wrote in message

> The problem was fixed four years ago, but thanks for the help. If I
> have a problem again, I know where to go now - thanks!
>
> Tip

Nothing wrong with Pat Goss I catch him when I can. Also the service
manual has quit a bit of reference to the loose connection diagnosis.

--
Dad

One more gun is just enough, maybe.

Old February 15th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

wrote:

>>>WOW!!! the C4 Corvette's are so cool!!! i want one
>>>

>>I love mine, '94 6speed ragtop.
>>The earlier ones did have issues that I wouldn't want to deal with,
>>plus the styling cues were much better after say.... '93 or so.
>>

>Actually the styling was the same from 1991 on through 1996 except for
>the waste chutes in the lower front fender. You need to look at them
>from a different hole to see that though. Nothing wrong with a C4
>except some of their owners are a bit sensitive about their----- I'm
>not going there...........

The interiors are vastly different. I was very lucky when I bought mine.

I happened to get my favorite interior/console/seats of all the model year
C4's before and after. Plus my favorite fender vents.

After I bought mine I started paying attention to other year model interiors
and body details, yada and was very lucky to have purchased my favorite.
When I was looking I just wanted the current year model, ragtop 6 speed.

>C4 is a destructive material that was used by the Army in the 50s and
>a designation for a transmission.

LOLOLOLOL Are you saying my C4 is Plastique?? Huh huh?

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old February 15th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

>"RicSeyler" > wrote in message

>The interiors are vastly different. I was very lucky when I bought
>mine.

What kind of curtains do you have in yours?

>I happened to get my favorite interior/console/seats of all the model
>year
>C4's before and after. Plus my favorite fender vents.

>After I bought mine I started paying attention to other year model
>interiors
>and body details, yada and was very lucky to have purchased my
>favorite.
>When I was looking I just wanted the current year model, ragtop 6
>speed.

>C4 is a destructive material that was used by the Army in the 50s and
>a designation for a transmission.

>LOLOLOLOL Are you saying my C4 is Plastique?? Huh huh?

Nope, plastique is more stable than C4, any C4.

Old February 15th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad wrote:

>>"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
>>

>>The interiors are vastly different. I was very lucky when I bought
>>mine.
>>

>What kind of curtains do you have in yours?
>None, Venetian Blinds and Track Lighting. LOLOL
>

>>I happened to get my favorite interior/console/seats of all the model
>>year
>>C4's before and after. Plus my favorite fender vents.
>>

>>After I bought mine I started paying attention to other year model
>>interiors
>>and body details, yada and was very lucky to have purchased my
>>favorite.
>>When I was looking I just wanted the current year model, ragtop 6
>>speed.
>>

>>C4 is a destructive material that was used by the Army in the 50s and
>>a designation for a transmission.
>>

>>LOLOLOLOL Are you saying my C4 is Plastique?? Huh huh?
>>

>Nope, plastique is more stable than C4, any C4.

PFFFFFFFFFFTTTT LOLOLOL
BITE ME YA,....... YA,........ YOU........ ARRRGH <buries face in hands>

Old February 16th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Tip wrote:
>> Both of these stories sound strange, if the light was
>> on any length of time it will take a hard set and the
>> dealer should be able to diagnose and deal with the
>> problem if there is one. What was the code, or did
>> you open the computer and check it while it was on?

> The story is the way it happens, at least for me. Even
> if you leave the 'vette running and the guy who writes
> you up sees the lights, they'll turn it off while it
> waits for service and the mechanic won't find a
> problem. As was said in an earlier post, check all
> the connections. My loose connection was in the
> connector to the passenger door. Pat Goss mentioned
> the loose connection problem a few years ago on Motor
> Week (PBS).
>
> Tip, '99 6spd coupe

I've had several DIC messages that I've thought were bogus. Fuel cap
message has popped up a couple of times since the first of the year
without an obvious cause. Other recurring message was a tire pressure
warning (I'm sensitive to that since I'm scrapping the runflats.) Each
time the hand gauge reading was OK. However, both tire warnings came on
during severe lateral wind gusting (with, no doubt some big sideforce
signals or maybe some telemetry noise.) In all, four or five incorrect
warnings in three months of driving. Data errors happen.

As long as the errors are in warning systems rather than in control
systems I can live with them. I've had false warning signals most of my
life. From cars, from airplanes and from women (stated in order of
perceived severity).
--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe