Front End Alignment

Old August 17th 05, 04:37 PM
Joe Carroll

Default Front End Alignment

Any idea what a typical front end alignment should cost for a 2000
Wrangler 6 cyl and how often it should be done. Regular road
vehicle(little or no stup jumping).
Thanks
Joe Carroll
2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are."
Joseph Duemer
Old August 17th 05, 05:22 PM
Jerry Bransford

The ONLY thing in a 2000 TJ's front-end that can be aligned is the
toe-in. Without using aftermarket parts, the caster and camber angles
are fixed and not adjustable.

The good news is you can easily and totally accurately set your own
toe-in. I haven't paid to have my toe-in set in years since learning
how to do my own. Set your own toe-in to 1/8" by using the easy
instructions at http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html All you need
is a tape measure, a wrench, and a big set of pliers. A friend to hold
one end of the tape measure while you measure is helpful. No worries,
done with a little care this technique will produce a toe-in setting
just as accurately as the high-school dropout at the local alignment
shop can produce. That webpage also shows how to center your own
steering wheel.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old August 17th 05, 05:28 PM
Joe Carroll

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:22:11 -0700, Jerry Bransford >
wrote:

>The ONLY thing in a 2000 TJ's front-end that can be aligned is the
>toe-in. Without using aftermarket parts, the caster and camber angles
>are fixed and not adjustable.

Thanks,
I thought I had seen something here about that but just couldn't find
the info.

Old August 17th 05, 07:41 PM
J Strickland

What Jerry said.

Part of doing the spring over is installing the shims to correct the Caster
Angle. Once the shims are installed, the Caster becomes a non-adjustment.
Surely there are few, perhaps very few, alignment shops that will even
consider shimming the axle to get the caster angle back after a spring over.
Or, a lift for that matter.

Old August 18th 05, 03:12 AM
Dean

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:22:11 -0700, Jerry Bransford > wrote:

>The ONLY thing in a 2000 TJ's front-end that can be aligned is the
>toe-in. Without using aftermarket parts, the caster and camber angles
>are fixed and not adjustable.

When did they do away with the eccentrics to adjust the caster angle? My 98 has
them.

Dean
http://home.comcast.net/~1redcreek/
Old August 18th 05, 04:01 AM

Dean
1998 was the last year with the adjustable caster. Jerry is correct in
stating that 1/8" toe-in and centering the steering is all that most
people should need. Even with my lifted TJ, I have always done the
alignment myself. It takes minutes and I haven't had any issues with
handling or abnormal tire wear.

Regards,

Guri

Old August 18th 05, 04:06 PM
Joe Carroll

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:37:38 GMT, Joe Carroll
> wrote:

>Any idea what a typical front end alignment should cost for a 2000
>Wrangler 6 cyl and how often it should be done. Regular road
>vehicle(little or no stup jumping).
>Thanks
>Joe Carroll
>2K-TJ
>
>There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are."
> Joseph Duemer

I asked because my Dueller AT Revoes are becoming scalloped and
wearing uneven. They are getting progressively noiser and front end
alignment was the only thing I haven't checked. I've not jumped any
curbs but I bought the TJ used. Is their anything else that could
cause that problem with a tire that I've missed?

Old August 18th 05, 04:27 PM
IsellJeeps

the tires need to be rotated every 3K miles front to back not side to side

Old August 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Joe Carroll

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:27:22 GMT, "IsellJeeps"
> wrote:

>the tires need to be rotated every 3K miles front to back not side to side

That I'm aware of and have been doing..

Old August 18th 05, 05:30 PM
Mike Romain

Joe Carroll wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:37:38 GMT, Joe Carroll
> > wrote:
>
> >Any idea what a typical front end alignment should cost for a 2000
> >Wrangler 6 cyl and how often it should be done. Regular road
> >vehicle(little or no stup jumping).
> >Thanks
> >Joe Carroll
> >2K-TJ
> >
> >There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are."
> > Joseph Duemer

> I asked because my Dueller AT Revoes are becoming scalloped and
> wearing uneven. They are getting progressively noiser and front end
> alignment was the only thing I haven't checked. I've not jumped any
> curbs but I bought the TJ used. Is their anything else that could
> cause that problem with a tire that I've missed?
> Joe Carroll
> 2K-TJ

Scalloping usually implies they are out of balance or the shocks are
worn out.

If it is more only on the front set and you say you rotate, then I would
be checking the shocks out. If you bounce the corner up and down hard,
then let go, a good shock should only bounce once to one and a half
bounces. If you get 2 bounces, it is weak, if you get 3 bounces it is
dead.

The tape measure is a fast way to check the alignment though. Then if
you look at the Jeep from the front and notice a tire tilted more than
another, suspect worn ball joints. You could use a carpenters level
vertical to check for even angles up/down on the front tires. if off,
something is worn out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's