So do you avoid poor weather?

Old September 23rd 04, 12:35 PM
Joe

LazyEights > wrote in message >...
> How about starting up on cold winter mornings?

Indiana averages in the high 20's in the winter. I've never had a
problem starting even when it drops below zero, but I've never had a
problem with starting.

The heater is good.

My drive is 160 miles round trip on country highways twice a week.
The salt spray off the tires makes a real mess of the whole car (our
van contains the spray somehow).

The other problem I have with the roof up, in the slick, when I'm most
interested in someone plowing into me, is that the visibility isn't
too good due no side rear window. (over my left shoulder is worse
than over my right) I'm quick to open the window to poke my head out
(it will probably be taken off someday). My fear of being run over
causes me to drive the truck if it is slick.

The tires do take a couple miles to get back to round when it is real
cold out though. (the original Pilots were worse)

Joe
Old September 23rd 04, 01:33 PM
Stephen F.

"LazyEights" > wrote in message
. ..
> How about starting up on cold winter mornings?

With light synthetic oil, my MX-5 has been the best starting car I've owned,
even on its original 10-year old battery, and this is in Swiss alpine
winters down to -15°C. The heater in the MX-5 is brilliant (it must be
sourced from a big truck or something) as the interior is toasty warm in a
very short time, and even with the soft top it's no problem to keep warm. I
wish I could say the same for my Focus diesel wagon...

Stephen

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Old September 23rd 04, 03:41 PM
Dana Myers

Grant Edwards wrote:

> After running on the same battery for 8 years, mine starting
> cranking a bit slow when it got below -10F.

You're making me appreciate my California "winter" mornings,
which rarely drop below -4C.

;-)

Dana
Old September 24th 04, 02:13 PM
Rivergoat

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:29:03 GMT, Dana Myers >
wrote:

>I avoid driving in rain or snow in my Miata, that's what an
>SUV is for.
>
>;-)
>
>Dana

Well, yeah. I probably wouldn't drive a Miata in snow. I have a
heavily modified 4wd truck. I, uh, drive on rocks *:P

Old September 24th 04, 03:03 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-09-24, Rivergoat > wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:29:03 GMT, Dana Myers >
> wrote:
>
>>I avoid driving in rain or snow in my Miata, that's what an
>>SUV is for.
>>
>>;-)

You're being sarcastic, I presume?

> Well, yeah. I probably wouldn't drive a Miata in snow.

Miata's handle great in snow. Better than any other vehicle
I've driven and certainly bettern than most SUVs judging by
what I see in the ditches during Minnesota winters.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now, let's SEND OUT
at for QUICHE!!
Old September 24th 04, 04:05 PM
Dana Myers

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2004-09-24, Rivergoat > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:29:03 GMT, Dana Myers >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I avoid driving in rain or snow in my Miata, that's what an
>>>SUV is for.
>>>
>>>;-)

> You're being sarcastic, I presume?

Not at all. I have the choice and I choose the SUV
for inclement weather.

Dana

Old September 25th 04, 03:59 PM
Mike

I try to leave my top down all summer, but that doesn't always happen. I
live too close to work, so my 95M is my fun car and my F150 is the ugly
weather/work vehicle.

. ..

Old October 11th 04, 04:26 AM
mark

but c'mon, it's a car, I would intend on driving it in all
> weather (of course on the West Coast, we get some nicer weather than
> any owners in, say, Michigan!). But you get my point, who drives it in
> all conditions? What are your thoughts about the Miata as a daily
> driver?
>
> On the other hand the perfect car I would like to find is a one owner,
> low mileage that was used as a weekend car and has been garaged the
> whole time....asking too much? *

Nope. that's how I bought my 94 M-edition. Just turned 33,000 miles. I
only drive it when it's nice out. I figure if it's raining, and I can't
have the top down, why bother? In truth, my nissan sentra SE handles pretty
well for stock, so I don't miss the miata as much in the bad weather.