Strangest Tire Question EVERRR...

Old May 3rd 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Default Strangest Tire Question EVERRR...

On 5/2/2020 7:50 PM, wrote:
> Arlen Holder:
>
> So rounded off we'll just say 270 sq. inch of area inside the avg. passenger
> tire. I think something was wrong with that online calculator I was using last
> night to convert square mm to square inches. For a similar tire I was getting,
> if I recall,1,220-something square inches? I suspected something was off!
>
> So the air inside the tire inflated to 35psi is pressing down on each one of
> those 270 square inches with 35 lbs of force. So a more sane 9,450lbs of
> total pressure on the inside wall of that tire. Probably closer to 7,000ish if
> you consider that side of the rim which completes the inside of that total air
> cavity at each corner of our daily vehicles.

I don't know but it cannot be 270 square inches ( which is
roughly 10" x 27". I can see a ten inch width bead to bead
but the circumference is way beyond 27 inches.

Regardless of arithmetic, the pneumatic (or hydraulic,
formulae are the same for these purposes) pressure at every
place within a closed figure is equal and all of it will be
35psi.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old May 3rd 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

AMuzi:

1,270 square inches. My tablet for some reaaon is not transmitting every character I
type, and is also changing some words and characters.
Old May 3rd 20, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Paul in Houston TX wrote:

>The rest of the tire area is at 36 psi and is
>irrelevant since it does not support anything.

_______
Oh really? Last time I checked, a tire is a complete unit, with all of
its parts working together to support the vehicle, help maintain
traction, and help bring it to a stop.

That 36psi is pressing against every square inch of the inside of the
tire and the outer circumferential face of the wheel or rim.
Old May 4th 20, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Xeno:

Of course the tire sidewalls will slowly buckle! Common sense! They're the vertical
component of a tire. But what you seem to want to believe is that the only part of a
tire that matters is that which touches the ground. In your world, sidewalls don't exist.
In your world, a vehicle drives by and all you see are the treads and the rims.

It doesn't work that way. A tire - all of it - and the wheel or rim it's attached to, are
together a SYSTEM: of support, of absorption, of compliance, and of traction during
a variety of vehicle dynamics.

And whether a fully mounted, inflated, and balanced wheel/tire combo is sitting, waiting
to be put on a car, or is between that car and the road already, the air inside places
pressure on ALL interior surfaces of the cavity created by tire plus rim. Science!
Old May 4th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 4/5/20 10:11 pm, wrote:
> Xeno:
>
> Of course the tire sidewalls will slowly buckle! Common sense! They're the vertical
> component of a tire. But what you seem to want to believe is that the only part of a
> tire that matters is that which touches the ground. In your world, sidewalls don't exist.
> In your world, a vehicle drives by and all you see are the treads and the rims.

You have me 100% wrong. I was not disagreeing with you. My point was
that the sidewalls also have pressure acting on them and that helps
keeps them where they need to be. As well, the poster to whom you
responded omitted to mention, in his detailing of pressure acting at the
contact patch, is that it also acts in the upwards direction on the
inner rim surface opposite the inner rim surface. Tyres are not designed
by just looking at the contact patch to determine the inflation pressure
hence the load carrying capacity.

> In your world, a vehicle drives by and all you see are the treads and
> the rims.

Having been a mechanic for over 50 years, my view of a tyre is very
different from yours. I look at it as a sub-component of the vehicle,
its relationship to steering and suspension and, most importantly,
handling.

Two primary factors determine the load carrying capacity of a tyre, the
load and the inflation pressure. If you want to increase the load, you
need to increase the pressure. This is well known and is included in
vehicle owners manuals. The rub here is that there are many other forces
acting on tyres, lateral and centrifugal forces being just two, and each
needs to be considered, especially in relation to speed. Therefore the
service use of the tyre becomes important as well.

> It doesn't work that way. A tire - all of it - and the wheel or rim it's attached to, are
> together a SYSTEM: of support, of absorption, of compliance, and of traction during
> a variety of vehicle dynamics.

See above.

> And whether a fully mounted, inflated, and balanced wheel/tire combo is sitting, waiting
> to be put on a car, or is between that car and the road already, the air inside places
> pressure on ALL interior surfaces of the cavity created by tire plus rim. Science!

Well aware of that. Not my point. BTW, a tyre waiting to be put on a car
is *different* to a tyre on a car at 100 mph. Think heat and what that
does to a tyre and the pressure inside it.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old May 4th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_4_]

> Think heat and what that
> does to a tyre and the pressure inside it.

I have never been a mechanic (I'm an engineer & scientist), but I do agree
with Xeno, that heat is (almost) everything when it comes to rubber tires.
o Speed is heat
o Load is heat
o Inflation is heat
etc.
--
Rubber melts.
Old May 4th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Xeno, Arlen:

My postulation is more a matter of wording:

We do not put "33 pounds of air" in a given tire. We put 33 pounds PER SQUARE INCH in
that tire. Ergo, that volume of air is applying 33lbs of force to EVERY SQUARE INCH of
the inside of that tire & rim face combination.