Setting Front Toe

Old April 4th 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Setting Front Toe

Setting Front Toe:

If, for vehicle ABC, front toe is specified as -0.02°(slighty out) to +0.08°(in),
where would you set it?
Old April 4th 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_3_]

> On 4/4/20 12:41 pm, wrote:
>> Setting Front Toe:
>>
>> If, for vehicle ABC, front toe is specified as -0.02°(slighty out) to +0.08°(in),
>> where would you set it?
>>

> That will depend on the drive type, suspension type and tyre type, none
> of which you have provided. In that absence - stick it in the middle of
> the specified range - 0.03°(in)

In addition to suspension mechanics, wouldn't you make the decision based
on a variety of personal constraints, such as the driver's preference &
desired tire wear (and other factors of human preference)?

As an example using camber, my bimmer specifies about -2 degrees of rear
camber (off hand I don't remember the slop), where I don't corner like a
racer, and I care about tire wear, so I have mine set to as close to 0
degrees camber as the setting will allow.

As another example, I'm not sure what the caster is, but I drive on steep
hilly windy terrain where Xeno has suggested a lowering of caster will help
lower the camber of the inside wheels during tight low-speed cornering,
which, if done within the slop of caster and camber, will result in front
tire wear, which would mean I'd like to be on the low end of that negative
caster.

The point of these examples is that personal preferences also can play a
role in the decision as to where to set the alignment when given a range.
--
Usenet is a public potluck where purposefully helpful adults share ideas.

Now that's setting the bar high Ad absurdum per aspera Driving 3 August 30th 06 04:46 AM
Setting Toe Elle Honda 31 June 26th 06 04:49 AM
GTL FF setting JML Simulators 0 October 21st 05 12:04 AM
ta setting roy greenaway VW water cooled 0 November 20th 04 09:19 PM
alarm setting without key NC Alfa Romeo 4 October 7th 04 12:52 PM