OT axle question

Old May 10th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default OT axle question

What got me into reading about the axles n such in my previous post is this:

On a 1970 Cadillac Sedan Deville, how can I change the bolt patterns from 5
on 5 like it is now to 5 on 4 3/4? I've been looking for info on the
internet on this car's rear axle and can't find any info that would help me.

I personally wouldn't want to do this but a friend asked.

Troy

Old May 10th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

First of all, your TJ has a 5 on 4.5, not 5 on 5. Second, it is generally
better to have a larger bolt patern than a smaller one, why do you want to
convert from a 5 (which I said you don't have) to a 4.75? Thirdly, it is
easy to find adapter plates that change the bolt pattern from one to
another. These are sometimes called spacers, or adapters.

Never mind, I just got it, the Cadillac is a 5 on 5. Your TJ is still a 5 on
4.5 though, the 5 on 4.75 isn't going to get you very much.

Old May 10th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Tell him to sell the rear wheel drive Chevy rims.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 10th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Method 1: Remove the wheel studs, weld the holes shut, drill new holes in
the desired positions, reinstall the wheel studs and machine down the center
as necessary to fit the replacement rims.

Method 2: Buy aftermarket adapters to change the bolt pattern. This will
place the wheels further apart, and may not be as strong as bolting the
wheels directly to the axles.

Method 3: Replace the axle shafts with those that have the desired bolt
pattern.

Method 4: Buy some Cadillac rims.

Earle

Old May 10th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not me! heheheh somebody asked me if there's a way to do it without spacers.
They have paid almost $5000 for this set of billet aluminum rims, custom
job, and want to keep them and put them on the caddi. They were made for a
2000 s10, w/ 5 x 4 3/4, from what I remember... I think they're just outta
luck on this one, reading from what other people have posted on this. I
dont think I'd trust this heavy car with spacers. I think the curb weight
is around 4800 lbs. But this makes me wonder now...

My TJ for some reason has different sized lugs on the rear than the front.
I have to switch sockets on my 4way when rotating the tires. Why would the
d44 have different sized lug nuts on the rear than the front d30?

Troy

Old May 10th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I didn't know it was a "pimp my ride" deal! For that kind of money, it is
possible to have custom axle shafts made. Front hubs too.

Earle

Old May 10th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Troy,
The front lugs are probably nazi metric, where an American 3/4"
socket will fit close enough to use. YOu probably have to use 13/16"
socket on the American rear 1/2" - 20 NF threads Lug stud, you may buy
nuts to to fit an 3/4" socket like GM uses.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 10th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sounds like someone swapped lug nuts at one time, they should all be
identical & interchangeable, for a 3/4" socket.

Old May 10th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Except Real Jeeps come with the larger socket size of 13/16" like
all Fords and Dodge trucks.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 10th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

(sigh)