turbo shutdown procedure

Old August 27th 05, 03:06 PM
Robin Nelson

Default turbo shutdown procedure

I was told by a repair shop guy in Ohio (not an Audi dealer) that you
should always let a turbocharged engine like the 1.8 used in Audi A4s
idle for at least 30 - 45 seconds before switching it off. That way,
he claimed, oil will get to the turbo while it spins down from high
speed. Any thought, confirmations?
Old August 27th 05, 03:27 PM
Chris Bartram

Robin Nelson wrote:
> I was told by a repair shop guy in Ohio (not an Audi dealer) that you
> should always let a turbocharged engine like the 1.8 used in Audi A4s
> idle for at least 30 - 45 seconds before switching it off. That way,
> he claimed, oil will get to the turbo while it spins down from high
> speed. Any thought, confirmations?

Youll find the owners manual usually says this.

It's not much of a concern if you've been driving gently, but it's
definitley wise after a long, fast run to let the engine idle,
apparently to reduce the risk of cooking the oil in the turbo.
Old August 28th 05, 01:17 AM
Tony

Given the absence of an after-run pump for the 1.8Ts the recommendation is to
use the door ajar alarm as an indicator. When you open the door the door chimes
for 60 seconds and then shuts off.

When stopped after a fast drive when the turbo has been working, open the door
and let the engine idle until the chime stops. that is a good indication of
sufficient time for cool down.

TonyJ
98.5 1.8TQM APR

Old August 28th 05, 05:02 AM
Robin Nelson

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:17:48 -0500, Tony >
wrote:

>Given the absence of an after-run pump for the 1.8Ts the recommendation is to
>use the door ajar alarm as an indicator. When you open the door the door chimes
>for 60 seconds and then shuts off.
>
>When stopped after a fast drive when the turbo has been working, open the door
>and let the engine idle until the chime stops. that is a good indication of
>sufficient time for cool down.
>
>TonyJ
>98.5 1.8TQM APR
>
>Chris Bartram wrote:
>> Robin Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> I was told by a repair shop guy in Ohio (not an Audi dealer) that you
>>> should always let a turbocharged engine like the 1.8 used in Audi A4s
>>> idle for at least 30 - 45 seconds before switching it off. That way,
>>> he claimed, oil will get to the turbo while it spins down from high
>>> speed. Any thought, confirmations?

>> Youll find the owners manual usually says this.
>>
>> It's not much of a concern if you've been driving gently, but it's
>> definitley wise after a long, fast run to let the engine idle,
>> apparently to reduce the risk of cooking the oil in the turbo.

Obliged for the tips.
Old August 28th 05, 04:40 PM
Graham

Tony wrote:
> Given the absence of an after-run pump for the 1.8Ts the recommendation
> is to use the door ajar alarm as an indicator. When you open the door
> the door chimes for 60 seconds and then shuts off.
>
> When stopped after a fast drive when the turbo has been working, open
> the door and let the engine idle until the chime stops. that is a good
> indication of sufficient time for cool down.

Is this a US only thing? No chime on a UK model.
Old August 28th 05, 07:26 PM
Tony

Graham wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>
>> Given the absence of an after-run pump for the 1.8Ts the
>> recommendation is to use the door ajar alarm as an indicator. When you
>> open the door the door chimes for 60 seconds and then shuts off.
>>
>> When stopped after a fast drive when the turbo has been working, open
>> the door and let the engine idle until the chime stops. that is a good
>> indication of sufficient time for cool down.

> Is this a US only thing? No chime on a UK model.

Probably. It may be able to set it on / off with the VAG software.
Old August 29th 05, 07:28 PM
Dano58

As long as you're not pulling directly into your driveway from the
Interstate, you'll be fine. I suspect that most of us have at least a
few minutes of slow driving while getting into our neighborhoods, so
that would do it as well. It's not so much the idling, it's the 'not
using the turbo' prior to shut-off that is important.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old August 30th 05, 05:29 PM
Robin Nelson

On 29 Aug 2005 11:28:12 -0700, "Dano58" > wrote:

>As long as you're not pulling directly into your driveway from the
>Interstate, you'll be fine. I suspect that most of us have at least a
>few minutes of slow driving while getting into our neighborhoods, so
>that would do it as well. It's not so much the idling, it's the 'not
>using the turbo' prior to shut-off that is important.
>
>Dan D
>'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
>Central NJ USA

I appreciate the context in these responses. I can see where a problem
might lie in zooming off the interstate/turnpike to quickly gas up.
Having just had a turbo replaced due to an "oil sludge" problem, (Audi
covered it via extended warranty) I will tend to err on the side of
caution in the foreseeable future.

Robin Nelson
'01 A4TQ