OT for AHR. rent-a-rim

Old October 26th 14, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default OT for AHR. rent-a-rim

I didn't believe it until I saw it on the web. One shop I went to
recently had changed its name, The new owner said it had been called
rent-a-rim.

What, people are renting rims?

http://www.rentawheel.com/Home
http://www.rimtyme.com/wheels/rent-t...-own/home.html

Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they
could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they
rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color
for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week
for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,

Although some or all of it is rent-to-own, which is also verryyy
expensive. "My job is my credit."

And btw, the bigger rims rent for more when bigger rims give a a worse
ride. Yes indeed, bigger rims with the same radius tires have a
shorter sidewall, and it's the sidewall that soaks up most of the bumps.
Old October 26th 14, 07:58 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Todd[_5_]

On 10/25/2014 06:11 PM, micky wrote:
> I didn't believe it until I saw it on the web. One shop I went to
> recently had changed its name, The new owner said it had been called
> rent-a-rim.
>
> What, people are renting rims?
>
> http://www.rentawheel.com/Home
> http://www.rimtyme.com/wheels/rent-t...-own/home.html
>
> Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they
> could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they
> rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color
> for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week
> for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,
>
> Although some or all of it is rent-to-own, which is also verryyy
> expensive. "My job is my credit."
>
> And btw, the bigger rims rent for more when bigger rims give a a worse
> ride. Yes indeed, bigger rims with the same radius tires have a
> shorter sidewall, and it's the sidewall that soaks up most of the bumps.

One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
find your car on blocks?
Old October 26th 14, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 10/26/2014 3:58 AM, Todd wrote:

mps.

> One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
> find your car on blocks?

Yes, according to an article in the paper a few months back.
Old October 26th 14, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

micky > wrote:

>Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they
>could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they
>rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color
>for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week
>for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,

Rims are a fashion statement, and they go in and out of fashion, which
is why these guys get customers who absolutely have to have the latest
dubs, but who will want to trade to a different shape in a month or so.

I think it's silly, but then I've been driving the same car with the same
rims for twenty years and clearly I don't keep up with the latest thing.
I did at one point have to change rims when they stopped making TRX tires.
--scott
Old October 26th 14, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 00:58:00 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
>find your car on blocks?

Ya gotta have renter's insurance :-)
Old October 26th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:03:56 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 00:58:00 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
> >One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
> >find your car on blocks?

> Ya gotta have renter's insurance :-)

Lizard Lick Towing (TV reality, so called TV reality, most of it is Fake) once repoed some fancy rims with the tires on them. Real auto reposseing companies are different than Lizard Lick Towing and that Fake South Beach Towing outfit.
Old October 26th 14, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 10/26/2014 11:24 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I think it's silly, but then I've been driving the same car with the same
> rims for twenty years and clearly I don't keep up with the latest thing.
> I did at one point have to change rims when they stopped making TRX tires.
> --scott

You are on the list for the next Cash for Clunkers campaign. Do your
art for the economy!
Old October 26th 14, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Todd[_5_]

On 10/26/2014 09:03 AM, Oren wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 00:58:00 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
>> find your car on blocks?

> Ya gotta have renter's insurance :-)

I also occurred to me that they would tow your whole
car. Then you would have to take your own rims to
an impound lot and pay an impound fine to get your
car back, after you had installed your own rims.
Old October 27th 14, 12:08 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 00:58:00 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 10/25/2014 06:11 PM, micky wrote:
>> I didn't believe it until I saw it on the web. One shop I went to
>> recently had changed its name, The new owner said it had been called
>> rent-a-rim.
>>
>> What, people are renting rims?
>>
>> http://www.rentawheel.com/Home
>> http://www.rimtyme.com/wheels/rent-t...-own/home.html
>>
>> Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they
>> could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they
>> rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color
>> for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week
>> for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,
>>
>> Although some or all of it is rent-to-own, which is also verryyy
>> expensive. "My job is my credit."
>>
>> And btw, the bigger rims rent for more when bigger rims give a a worse
>> ride. Yes indeed, bigger rims with the same radius tires have a
>> shorter sidewall, and it's the sidewall that soaks up most of the bumps.
>>

>One wonders if you don't pay your rent, do you wake up to
>find your car on blocks?

When you sign the contract to rent the tires a lien is registered
against your vehicle, so if you don't pay the rent you don't wake up
to find your car without rims, you wake up to an empty parking space
because your whole car has been reclaimed.
Old October 27th 14, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:11:05 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>I didn't believe it until I saw it on the web. One shop I went to
>recently had changed its name, The new owner said it had been called
>rent-a-rim.
>
>What, people are renting rims?
>
>http://www.rentawheel.com/Home
>http://www.rimtyme.com/wheels/rent-t...-own/home.html
>
>Yes, it's true. It's not enough that people rent furniture, when they
>could buy it at Goodwill Industries for much much less, or that they
>rent TV's when at least before digital, they could buy a new 14" color
>for $60. But they are also renting rims, for 40, 50, 56 dollars a week
>for four. That's almost 2100 to over 2900 a year,
>
>Although some or all of it is rent-to-own, which is also verryyy
>expensive. "My job is my credit."
>
>And btw, the bigger rims rent for more when bigger rims give a a worse
>ride. Yes indeed, bigger rims with the same radius tires have a
>shorter sidewall, and it's the sidewall that soaks up most of the bumps.

The west side of Phoenix has had rent-a-wheel/tire places for at least
5 and maybe 10 years.