What am I missing?

Old February 27th 05, 06:30 AM
Natman

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:28:50 +0200, "gixer" > wrote:

>[snip]
>
>Natman,
>
>A Miata is not, has not, and never will be a dedicated sports car, Caterham
>7, Ultima GTR, Radical S3/S4 or an Ariel Atom are dedicated sports cars,
>even an Opel VX220 can sneak in there, Jesus my mum had a MX-5 for 4 years
>was 62 at the time.
>Sorry mate but I can't afford a SUV for commuting, a GT for touring and a
>sports car for the odd Sunday afternoon drive, and even if I could I
>wouldn't.
>My argument is not that the Miata is a Wellington boot,
>If the Miata was any footwear it would be a Gortex, Vibram soled, sports,
>army boot, as worn by Jesus, (waterproof, can go any distance you ask of it,
>fast enough, kicks arse when ever you ask it to, and walks on bloody water)
>
>Cheers Mark.

Obviously you missed the entire point of the rain gear analogy.

I agree with many of your points. However if someone is reluctant to
spend four 12 hour days in a Miata droning along he has my sympathy
and understanding. It's simply not cut out for that sort of work.

I think I'll go paint my house with a hammer.
Old February 27th 05, 03:54 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Grant Edwards > wrote:

>> Do you guys add cola to Champaign?

>No! That would be waste of good cola.

Quite the wrong tone for Mark to take in a newsgroup with mostly
USAians.

>> Chew on a stick of gum while eating caviar?

>I don't like cavier.

Gourmet US food is sugar and tomatoes, with sophisticated refinements
such as a dash of cheese, chicken, or tomato paste. We also like
pizza and Budweiser or Coors, which is haute cuisine, especially
with extra tomato sauce.

Quick food is ketchup with some bread and ground beef or salt and
beef byproducts. This can be upgraded by using gourmet ketchup,
which has more sugar.

wrote:

>We put ICE in our tea.

And make it really good by adding enough saccharin to glue
it to the glass. Our hot drink is coffee, for which we
greatly prefer the instant version because it tastes better
and is quicker to make.

Now you know the reason why we are so paranoid about the
innocent noise levels produced by the Miata. We are panicked
about losing our hearing too, with our taste buds already gone.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 27th 05, 05:49 PM
gixer

Cheers Leon, its spooky how things suddenly fit into place after your
enlightenment.

I owe you a Beer dude.

To be honest English food is better but not by much, we have fish and chips,
Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding, and not much else worth shouting about.

But the place can't be that bad I mean you did give us Dukes of Hazard,
Night Rider, Bifocal specs and so many brave Yanks gave up their everything
to bail out our broke asses during WWII.

As a small token or our appreciation we gave you, who wants to be a
millionaire, That American Idol thing, and the GT40.

Old February 27th 05, 11:00 PM
Natman

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:28:50 +0200, "gixer" > wrote:

>Guys its a open top sports car.

>It [the Miata] was designed to be noisy, that's part of the appeal of a sports car.

gixer 2/26/05

>Before we purchased our Miata's we knew that it was an open top sports car,

gixer 2/26/05

>A Miata is not, has not, and never will be a dedicated sports car

gixer 2/26/05

I'm getting dizzy.
Old February 28th 05, 03:20 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

WOW ! That is a lot of seat time !

Let's see, If you drove 8 hr's a day 5 days a week, that's 2080 hours a
year and you needed to stop for gas, eat and pee, plus start and stop,
you needed to average 28.846153 miles per hour. [ it is hard to average
much faster than that, no matter where you drive ] You must have a good
paying job on the week-ends to do that ! :-)

Bruce RED '91

Old February 28th 05, 08:43 AM
Eric Baber

> I gotta say a Miata really isn't what I want but I can't ride any more
> and the Miata is the closet thing I've found to a motorcycle..

Excellent choice. I had to sell my Ducati Monster and got a Miata for the
same reason; I haven't regretted it (much). That's to say that I haven't
regretted buying the Miata, though I have regretted having to sell the Duc.
Oh well.

Enjoy the Miata - and keep your leather jacket or whatever you used to wear
on the bike, and the earplugs; they'll come in handy when you're driving
with the top down in sub-freezing temperatures :-)

Eric

Old February 28th 05, 10:18 AM
XS11E

"Eric Baber" > wrote in
:

>> I gotta say a Miata really isn't what I want but I can't ride any
>> more and the Miata is the closet thing I've found to a
>> motorcycle..

> Excellent choice. I had to sell my Ducati Monster and got a Miata
> for the same reason; I haven't regretted it (much). That's to say
> that I haven't regretted buying the Miata, though I have regretted
> having to sell the Duc. Oh well.

I've got down to one bike, now, my 1985 Harley-Davidson FLTC, which
I'll sell eventually but it's got over 100,000 miles of memories on it,
coast to coast a couple of times, north to Yellowstone Park 5 times and
back, up the coast to Port Angeles once, dozens of trips to California,
New Mexico, Colorado, etc. I have trouble thinking about selling it.

I think it's the travelling I'll miss the most. Unfortunately, it's
running around 100 miles/year for the last nine years and that's just
plain abuse. Plus, it's getting more and more unsafe to ride, when I
come to a stop I'm never sure if I'll be able to put a foot down. I
won't ride double anymore and SWMBO misses the travelling as well.
That's where Mr. Miata (or whatever I'll call him/her/it) comes in,
I'll still be able to see scenery by being out in it, not looking at it
through a frame (If you've read Persig you know what I mean by that.)
Also, I think the luggage capacity is about the same with the Harley-
Davidson having a little advantage! <G>

> Enjoy the Miata - and keep your leather jacket or whatever you
> used to wear on the bike, and the earplugs; they'll come in handy
> when you're driving with the top down in sub-freezing temperatures
> :-)

Thanks, could you please explain the unfamiliar term "sub-freezing
temperatures" for those of us who live in Phoenix, Arizona? <g>