BMW 1 series sales figures for Sept. '04

Old October 11th 04, 02:34 PM
Peter Bozz

Default BMW 1 series sales figures for Sept. '04

Well, the numbers are just in. In its first month on the market
(September 2004) the 1 series sold better than the 3 series
here in the Netherlands. The 1 is overall the 25th most sold car
for that month ahead of for instance the Toyota Corolla, the
Citroen C3 or the Fiat Punto.

Both the VW Golf and the Ford Focus sold more than 3 times as
many cars each as the 1 series. This was as expected.

Note in addition, that both the 3 and the 5 series sold *better*
than they did in August, so it would appeart that neither of
them lost customers to their smaller cousin.

Overall, BMW is the 10th (up from 15th last month) most sold
brand for Sept 2004, ahead of Citroen, Nissan and Seat. Much
of this success has to be attributed to the 1 series.

Old October 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Frank Kemper

Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:

> Well, the numbers are just in. In its first month on the market
> (September 2004) the 1 series sold better than the 3 series
> here in the Netherlands. The 1 is overall the 25th most sold car
> for that month ahead of for instance the Toyota Corolla, the
> Citroen C3 or the Fiat Punto.

One has to take into consideration if these figures really mean cars sold
to private persons. As soon as a new car hits the market, there is an
initial demand by dealers, who need cars for their show rooms and for
test drives with their clients, as well as a demand for rental car fleet
operators and so on. I'd think one should look at the first three months.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 12th 04, 09:38 AM
Peter Bozz

Frank Kemper wrote:
> Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:
>

>>Well, the numbers are just in. In its first month on the market
>>(September 2004) the 1 series sold better than the 3 series
>>here in the Netherlands. The 1 is overall the 25th most sold car
>>for that month ahead of for instance the Toyota Corolla, the
>>Citroen C3 or the Fiat Punto.
>>

> One has to take into consideration if these figures really mean cars sold
> to private persons. As soon as a new car hits the market, there is an
> initial demand by dealers, who need cars for their show rooms and for
> test drives with their clients, as well as a demand for rental car fleet
> operators and so on. I'd think one should look at the first three months.
>
> Frank

The figures concern cars *sold*. There's no specification whether the
cars are sold to dealers, rental car companies, fleet operators or
private persons. It's probably the number of cars registed with the
Department of Motor Vehicles. But this is true for all cars on this
list. Regardeless of the exact breakdown, the pure numbers show a healty
demand for these cars.

Obviously, we can't really draw any conclusions based on a single month
of sales. It might be a just fad. Time will tell.

Old October 12th 04, 09:45 AM
Peter Bozz

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> Can't access by-model figures for the UK but can for Germany. However, the
> website I rely on is only up to July presently:
> http://www.kfz-auskunft.de/kfz/zulassungen.html
>
> Unless somebody has a better website we'll have to wait a month or two for
> the data from the home market, which should be very interesting though, I
> think, trends in NL tend to follow Germany (or would you disagree
> slightly/strongly?).
>
> DAS

I have no idea. I'd venture to guess that German cars sell a bit better
in Germany than they do in the Netherlands. Here, there's a large demand
for (cheaper) French cars. The site you mention above shows the first
French car on place 12, the second on place 16. In Holland, Peugeot and
Renault sell much better. But that's why I found the high demand for the
1 series so surprising: Peugeot 307 and Renault Megane are so strong in
this segment.

Old October 12th 04, 10:29 AM
Frank Kemper

Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:

> Obviously, we can't really draw any conclusions based on a single month
> of sales. It might be a just fad. Time will tell.

ACK. And I doubt that BMW is so stupid to make a car which nobody wants to
buy. Even if I personally think that it is too expensive;-)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 12th 04, 10:33 AM
Frank Kemper

Peter Bozz > haute in die Tasten:

> But that's why I found the high demand for the
> 1 series so surprising: Peugeot 307 and Renault Megane are so strong in
> this segment.

I suppose that the BMW 1' goes into competition with cars like the Golf V
and the Audi A3 (expensive) or Seat Leon Cupra and Alfa 146/156 (somewhat
exotic). Besides this I strongly believe that BMW has a hard time selling
its 3' series compact at the moment.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 12th 04, 11:33 AM
Peter Bozz

Frank Kemper wrote:
>>But that's why I found the high demand for the
>>1 series so surprising: Peugeot 307 and Renault Megane are so strong in
>>this segment.
>>

> I suppose that the BMW 1' goes into competition with cars like the Golf V
> and the Audi A3 (expensive) or Seat Leon Cupra and Alfa 146/156 (somewhat
> exotic). Besides this I strongly believe that BMW has a hard time selling
> its 3' series compact at the moment.

None of the models you mention made the top 50 for September (except the
Golf, but there's no separate figures about the Golf V). Insofar as they
were any competition, the 1 blew them out of the water.

As for the 3 series, you're right: the total sales for Jan-Sept 2004 are
pretty low. Even the A4 sold better than the 3.

Old October 12th 04, 12:59 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Frank Kemper > wrote:
> One has to take into consideration if these figures really mean cars
> sold to private persons. As soon as a new car hits the market, there is
> an initial demand by dealers, who need cars for their show rooms and
> for test drives with their clients, as well as a demand for rental car
> fleet operators and so on. I'd think one should look at the first three
> months.

In the UK, dealers only pre-register cars to boost sales figures when they
are flagging - it makes the car secondhand, and has to be sold at a
considerable discount. Demonstrators are, of course, different as they
have to be registered.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW