Help!!!!!!

Old January 25th 05, 04:54 AM
warlord170

Default Help!!!!!!

Hello everyone, hopefully some one can help me out with a problem I
have with my 98 Chevrolet Blazer. I am trying to replace the water
pump in it , (107, 000 miles on origional), The problem is : how do I
remove the fan clutch? ( short of using a torch, or trying to chew
through it, I’ve tried everything) Please Help!!!!!
thank you, warlord170

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-Help-ftopict100310.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=462039
Old January 25th 05, 02:23 PM
Peter D. Hipson

Uh, trick question? <g>

Remove the fan blades first.

Two styles, but similar: remove the nut (or four nuts, as appropriate)
and it pulls right off. There is a 'post' in the center of the
waterpump shaft (actually the saft extends into the clutch) that may
be sticking some.

Don't hit, heat, bang the clutch.

Clutches are not that expensive (under $100, Jegs and Northern Auto
both stock them) so you could just replace it...

There is nothing magic in that area, that I know of.

Note: I've not done a 98 before, but have done many GM cllutch fans in
teh past.

On 24 Jan 2005 23:54:37 -0500, warlord170

Old January 25th 05, 03:08 PM
Mike Romain

Ummm use 2 wrenches?

I use one wrench to hold a bolt while undoing the other 3. I then use
the same wrench on one I just broke loose and let it tighten some as I
get the last one. The one used to hold will now come loose the second
time easy.

Or I back one bolt out enough if long enough to jam a large screwdriver
under it to hold it for the last bolt.

If it is a single bolt, you can try an oil filter wrench or chain vise
grips to hold it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's