Reverse Lights Help PLZ

Old December 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Fern Luce

Default Reverse Lights Help PLZ

Ok, my 89 Mustang's reverse lights for some reason are not working. I have
replaced fuses and the 2 flasher fuses. All other lights work except the 4
Turning lights. But I know that the reason that does not work is in the
switch in the steering colume. I know that because the Hazards all work and
same for everything but the turning. Well, Anyways my question is how can I
fix my reverse lights? The switch on the tranmission that I think is also
the light switch is working I tested that by putting into drive and turning
the car over. I didn't work.... So I do not think it is the switch on the
transmission. Could anyone give me some advise? Also I checked the blubs
they are all good.

It is a 89 Mustang 2.3L LX Thanks!!

Old December 4th 04, 07:48 PM
Jim Warman

The segment of the switch that operates the back-up lights has squat to do
with the starting circuits. Sorry, but my manuals don't go back far enough
to help you with wire colours. First thing I would do is (with the key on ,
engine off and the shifter in reverse.... wheels chocked, naturally) check
power and ground at the back-up lights. The correct way to do this is to
connect the other end of the test light directly to the battery..... short
cuts can and will bite you.

If you have no power, check for power at the switch. If you have power to
the switch, jumper the CORRECT contacts to see if the lights come on. In a
car this old, there is always the possibility that the bulb sockets are
corroded.

BTW, occasionally I have seen bad blubs look good... same thing with bulbs,
too.

Old December 4th 04, 08:21 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Fern Luce opined in :

> Ok, my 89 Mustang's reverse lights for some reason are not working. I
> have replaced fuses and the 2 flasher fuses. All other lights work
> except the 4 Turning lights. But I know that the reason that does not
> work is in the switch in the steering colume. I know that because the
> Hazards all work and same for everything but the turning.

All the above has no bearing... and I had to read it twice to understand what
you said. But your conclusion on the turn signals seems valid.

> Well, Anyways
> my question is how can I fix my reverse lights?

Um,,, yes... I agree

The switch on the
> tranmission that I think is also the light switch is working I tested
> that by putting into drive and turning the car over. I didn't work....
> So I do not think it is the switch on the transmission. Could anyone
> give me some advise? Also I checked the blubs they are all good.

That MAY be the same physical switch but is not necessarily the same
circuit..if it IS the same, you only tested part of it.