2003 Honda Accord Oil Drain Washer Replacement

Old February 13th 05, 07:01 AM

Milleron wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:00:10 GMT, pencilcup >
> wrote:
>

>>The Honda manual recommends that the washer be replaced with every oil
>>change. As a result, I end up going to a Honda dealer and pay a
>>premium for a fairly commoditized service. I follow the manual's
>>suggestion as to when to do maintenance services.
>>

>>1) Is there a significant impact if this washer is not replaced? For
>>example, every other time or once a year???

> Probably not, but if there is a problem, it could be catastrophic
> engine failure from losing all your new oil, so just change it. The
> odds are low, but the stakes are high.

How exactly is this going to come about? Not being a smart ass, but I'm
wondering how you mean.

TBerk

Old February 13th 05, 05:23 PM
Jafir Elkurd

When I went to an oil change place while I was in college, I asked the
technician if he had the drain plug washers. He assured me that he did.
Later that day, feeling confident that I had done everything I could (short
of doing the work myself) to keep my car maintained, I suffered an oil leak.
I took the car back immediately and asked the guy if he could look at it...
he told me it was leaking from the drain plug. I asked him why he didn't
replace it when I specifically mentioned it to him.... and he told me that
it looked fine to him. It was replaced at the previous oil change.

That's reason enough for me to replace it each time. (and also reason
enough to watch the oil change guy at EVERY step.)

Old February 13th 05, 05:31 PM
Milleron

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 07:01:38 GMT, T > wrote:

>Milleron wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:00:10 GMT, pencilcup >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>The Honda manual recommends that the washer be replaced with every oil
>>>change. As a result, I end up going to a Honda dealer and pay a
>>>premium for a fairly commoditized service. I follow the manual's
>>>suggestion as to when to do maintenance services.
>>>

>>>1) Is there a significant impact if this washer is not replaced? For
>>>example, every other time or once a year???

>> Probably not, but if there is a problem, it could be catastrophic
>> engine failure from losing all your new oil, so just change it. The
>> odds are low, but the stakes are high.

>How exactly is this going to come about? Not being a smart ass, but I'm
>wondering how you mean.

It's very unlikely but conceivable that failure of a drain-plug seal
could result in loss of enough oil for an engine to seize. Something
like this happened to my brother-in-law who got an oil change at a
quick-change place. They didn't get all of the old oil-filter gasket
off. The resultant oil loss came to a critical point while his
wifelet was driving the van. She came home from shopping, walked in
the house and asked, "Does that little red oil-thingy light on the
dashboard mean anything when it's on?" The engine had continued to
run without oil, but once it was turned off, it seized and could NEVER
be restarted -- catastrophic engine failure; you can't even rebuild
these things. That cost him $1,500 back in the 1970s. It would be a
lot more today, and the scenario could conceivably occur with a leak
from an overused drain-plug washer. It's not likely, but if something
like this hasn't happened a few times, I'd be surprised.

Ron
Old February 13th 05, 07:43 PM
Elle Navorski

"Milleron" > wrote
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:00:10 GMT, pencilcup >
> wrote:
>
> >The Honda manual recommends that the washer be replaced with every oil
> >change. As a result, I end up going to a Honda dealer and pay a
> >premium for a fairly commoditized service. I follow the manual's
> >suggestion as to when to do maintenance services.
> >

> >1) Is there a significant impact if this washer is not replaced? For
> >example, every other time or once a year???

> Probably not, but if there is a problem, it could be catastrophic
> engine failure from losing all your new oil, so just change it. The
> odds are low, but the stakes are high.

I always thought the bigger concern is overtorquing the drain bolt (and
ultimately tending to strip the threads) because the used crush washer has
lost some of its compressibility.

Less compressibility = less seal for same torque = higher torque required,
for which the assembly as a whole is not designed

In my young and foolish years, I re-used the washer for years on my 1991
Civic. No problems, but a few years ago I did switch to using a new OEM
washer each oil change.

My drain plug/washer did seem to develop a leak last year. I installed a
new drain plug (from Autozone) and the problem has not re-ocurred.

> >2) Is it possible to buy the washer myself and have it changed at a
> >non-Honda shop?

> They're so inexpensive that the last time I asked for some, the
> mechanic gave me five of them for free. He said it wasn't worth
> ringing it up. So, yes, your dealer should be glad to give you a
> supply. If they charge you anything, it's going to be nominal.

Likewise:
They're only a quarter apiece or so at the dealer's. One charming Honda
dealer parts guy even handed me a fistful not long ago, and when I asked
"How much will that be?," he said, "No charge."

Old February 28th 05, 05:07 AM
John Horner

"pencilcup" > wrote in message
> The Honda manual recommends that the washer be replaced with every oil
> change. As a result, I end up going to a Honda dealer and pay a
> premium for a fairly commoditized service. I follow the manual's
> suggestion as to when to do maintenance services.

Any *good* shop which works on Hondas should stock these and should change
them as a matter of course. Find yourself a competent independent if you
are not willing to go the DIY route.

Yes, you can buy the right sized washers at most real auto parts stores or
at the parts counter at your Honda dealer.

John

Old February 28th 05, 05:10 AM
John Horner

> However, a non-Honda shop will also use a non-Honda oil filter, which will
> not filter as well and may have inferior drainback characteristics.
> They're
> also much more likely to use cheap, low-grade oils to keep their costs
> down.

I have news for you, I have yet to find a Honda dealer which uses Honda
brand motor oils. Each one seems to have it's own favorite supplier like
Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. ... just as the quick lube places do.

The Fram mfg. Honda brand oil filter is nothing special either.

Image does not equal reality.

John

Old February 28th 05, 02:09 PM
TeGGer®

"John Horner" > wrote in

>> However, a non-Honda shop will also use a non-Honda oil filter, which
>> will not filter as well and may have inferior drainback
>> characteristics. They're
>> also much more likely to use cheap, low-grade oils to keep their
>> costs down.
>>

> I have news for you, I have yet to find a Honda dealer which uses
> Honda brand motor oils.

I never said that. I said "cheap, low-grade oils".

> The Fram mfg. Honda brand oil filter is nothing special either.

And you know this...how?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ