Tire Stores and lug nut torque settings

Old February 26th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

Default Tire Stores and lug nut torque settings

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:03:09 -0800, Fawn Liebowitz >
wrote:

>Mike Romain wrote:
>
>> You seem to fit right in there 'Fawn', but telling folks to do dangerous
>> stuff in a public forum is a no no, whether you think it is a joke or not...

>Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. We have to give Mike something to
>spend endless sleepless nights over! LOL! Are all Jeep fanatics as
>anal as this guy? I know a few here in AZ that fit the bill. Most are
>quite insane, of course.
>
>Moving right along...

Being anal beats being really, a really stupid troll.
Old February 27th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Will Honea wrote:
> Fawn Liebowitz wrote:
>
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>
>>> You seem to fit right in there 'Fawn', but telling folks to do dangerous
>>> stuff in a public forum is a no no, whether you think it is a joke or
>>> not...

>> Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. We have to give Mike something to
>> spend endless sleepless nights over! LOL! Are all Jeep fanatics as
>> anal as this guy? I know a few here in AZ that fit the bill. Most are
>> quite insane, of course.
>>
>> Moving right along...

> Fawn, you need to check ASM specs before you spread this crap. Ask a
> certified mechanic to lube those studs and see what response you get - they
> really got burned way back when mag wheels rolled out and they didn't
> believe that a torque wrench was necessary. Now, they pay attention
> instead of irate customers....

Umm, isnt there a please do not feed the trolls sign here any more?
Old February 27th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Lon wrote:
> Will Honea wrote:
>> Fawn Liebowitz wrote:

>>> Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. We have to give Mike something
>>> to spend endless sleepless nights over! LOL! Are all Jeep
>>> fanatics as anal as this guy? I know a few here in AZ that fit the
>>> bill. Most are quite insane, of course.
>>>
>>> Moving right along...

>> Fawn, you need to check ASM specs before you spread this crap. Ask a
>> certified mechanic to lube those studs and see what response you get
>> - they really got burned way back when mag wheels rolled out and
>> they didn't believe that a torque wrench was necessary. Now, they
>> pay attention instead of irate customers....

> Umm, isnt there a please do not feed the trolls sign here any more?

/ramjw\__
.:\:\:/:/.
( ~ ~ ):
.-------------------.\ = o /
`-------------------' / \(O)
,|/./\/|.\| ,|/./.(_____V_____)/

Old February 27th 09, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

I thought you folks might get a kick out of this!

My two girls have a Pro D day tomorrow, so I thought I'd let them read
along and let them post something, seeing that at least one of them is
into 4X4ing.

i am my dad's 12 year old daughter and I want to learn about 4 wheel
drive jeeps. when i help my dad change from street tires to off road
big tire when we go off roading he tells me to put stuff called copper
slip anti seize goo on the studs?
Is that good or is that not recommended?

(Well, that was my youngest daughter! Alex tells me that when she
turns 16 years old she want's our KJ or a "Jeep Jeep" (Read Wrangler,
TJ or something like that with bigger tires than Jen and my Liberty...
She say's "This tall" and measures out at,at least 38 inch tall tires
Little **** not only has taste but wants a "Better lifted, "tuffer"
Jeep than ours!
Ahh, they start young, and she is a girl!
My other daughter Cooper (Who is 14 going on 24!) wants a lowered
Mazda Miata with big fat tires so it can handle corners like my Mini
(Oh sure!)

Start them young I say!
Old February 27th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
g.com...
> csdude wrote:
>
>> right, sometimes I torque then at 95 ft-lbs sometimes at 110 or so.
>> it's the difference in torque between lug nuts that warps rotors (I
>> was told)

> Think the difference between 95 and 60 or less. That means when you put
> 95 on wet, you 'really' are putting more like 140 or more on them. This
> stretches them and can damage rims. I have seen more than one rim with
> worn out holes from overtorquing like this also.
>
> I mean just go look it up for your own education so you know the 'real'
> answer before you start snapping waterpump and head bolts.
>
> Unless you think a poster with a fake name from Animal house, the movie,
> is telling you the gospel truth. Folks like that are called trolls,
> they spout total bull**** to see what kind of a reaction they can get.
> Welcome to Usenet...
>
> Mike

Mike, I was reinstalling a head on a Dodge Rampage yesterday. It's the 2.2l
ohc motor. Book called for the headbolts to be cleaned and threads oiled as
well as the underside of the bolt heads. Also a couple of the bolts go
into the water jacket and they require sealer on them.
Also, as a GM tech for 18 years, I've always put teflon sealer on the
headbolts of every small block I've ever built and torqued them to factory
specs.
Oh, and I use anti-sieze on my own personal lug nuts, run 'em down with a
1/2" impact and haven't had to change a stud in years except for the one
that was cross threaded when some guy helped my wife change a tire on the
side of the road.

Just sayin'...YMMV

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC 'Pearl'

Old February 27th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:05:40 -0600, "Old Crow" >
wrote:

>"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...
>> csdude wrote:
>>
>>> right, sometimes I torque then at 95 ft-lbs sometimes at 110 or so.
>>> it's the difference in torque between lug nuts that warps rotors (I
>>> was told)

>> Think the difference between 95 and 60 or less. That means when you put
>> 95 on wet, you 'really' are putting more like 140 or more on them. This
>> stretches them and can damage rims. I have seen more than one rim with
>> worn out holes from overtorquing like this also.
>>
>> I mean just go look it up for your own education so you know the 'real'
>> answer before you start snapping waterpump and head bolts.
>>
>> Unless you think a poster with a fake name from Animal house, the movie,
>> is telling you the gospel truth. Folks like that are called trolls,
>> they spout total bull**** to see what kind of a reaction they can get.
>> Welcome to Usenet...
>>
>> Mike

>Mike, I was reinstalling a head on a Dodge Rampage yesterday. It's the 2.2l
>ohc motor. Book called for the headbolts to be cleaned and threads oiled as
>well as the underside of the bolt heads.

That's certainly legit, but in that case GM computed the torque
specifications assuming that they were lubricated, not dry. Not the
same thing as torquing a fastener with a dry specified torque when it
has been lubricated.

> Also a couple of the bolts go
>into the water jacket and they require sealer on them.
>Also, as a GM tech for 18 years, I've always put teflon sealer on the
>headbolts of every small block I've ever built and torqued them to factory
>specs.
>Oh, and I use anti-sieze on my own personal lug nuts, run 'em down with a
>1/2" impact

Do you use a torque stick?

Old February 27th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

How many mail list subscribers does it take to torque a lug nut?

Answer: 1,331

- 1 to torque the lug nut and to post to the mail list that the lug
nut has been torqued
- 14 to share similar experiences of torquing lug nuts and how the lug
nut could have been torqued
differently
- 7 to caution about the dangers of torquing lug nuts
- 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about torquing lug
nuts
- 53 to flame the spell checkers
- 41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames
- 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the lug nut
torquing discussion and its
inappropriateness to this mail list
- 109 to post that this list is not about torquing lug nuts and to
please take this email exchange
to another list
- 203 to demand that cross posting to other lists about torquing lug
nuts be stopped
- 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all torque lug
nuts and therefore the posts *are*
relevant to this mail list
- 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to
this list which makes torquing
lug nuts relevant to this list
- 306 to debate which method of torquing lug nuts is superior, where
to buy the best lug nuts, what
brand of lug nuts work best for this torquing technique, and what
brands are faulty
- 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different lug nut
torquing techniques
- 14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post
corrected URLs
- 33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all
headers and footers, and then
add "Me Too."
- 12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they
cannot handle the lug nut torquing
controversy
- 19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three."
- 4 to suggest that posters request the lug nut torquing FAQ
- 48 to propose a new rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.lugnut.torquing
newsgroup
- 47 to say there is already an alt.cars.lugnut.torquing newsgroup
- 143 to ask if anyone ever did torque a lug nut

Old February 27th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You or your daughter really should be looking up the wet torque specs
and just use them. It is perfectly legit, it is just a different number
you use. That way you avoid any potential damage. I have seen charts
for the different grade and sized bolt's wet and dry torque specs.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old February 27th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

Haha hoho! what a knee slapper!
Yaawwn...
Old February 27th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeep America #1[_5_]

you just cant leave well enough alone can you punk fraud

things are going great this week in this group and then you have to be
a troll

if you had any honor youd leave this group but you dont so youll just
stay here to stir crap up

Pink ? Freud > wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:48:23 -0800, Socks wrote:
>
>> Haha hoho! what a knee slapper!
>> Yaawwn...

>And boilerplate that's been around for years, just fill in the topic.
>
>After our China-chat elsewhere last night, I said I'd see you here --
>well, here I am, and so are you!
>
>Different nym, though, for Hughes- and Jerkie-bashing mostly.
>
>Have a good one, eh?
>
>PF
>(aka SW, he whispered....)

If you are looking to build a full wardrobe and you have a limitedbudget, consider shopping in used clothing stores. Used clothing stores offera variety of clothing at affordable prices. You can shop for used clothing inphysical stores or online. [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 21st 08 12:57 PM
Intake manifold torque settings goodnigh Ford Mustang 3 August 25th 07 07:11 AM
torque wrench settings pad Technology 0 October 20th 05 11:28 PM
Wheel bolts torque wrench settings Jonathan Morton Audi 2 September 25th 05 02:38 PM
torque wrench settings paddy wack BMW 1 January 28th 05 09:35 PM