Tire Stores and lug nut torque settings

Old February 25th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Default Tire Stores and lug nut torque settings

Dunce!

http://www.team.net/sol/tech/torque.html

The object is to stretch the bolt a predetermined amount so that it is
in tension. Stretching it beyond some safe % of it's yield strength is a
serious no no. Lubrication decreases the friction in the threads,
increases the torque going into stretching the bolt.

Old February 26th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

uhm, does it really matter that much? (as long as they all have the
same torque?) I mean, we put 33"-s on them , re-gear pinions, put more
engine torque on them while bouncing on the rocks. I know there are
specs, but....
Old February 26th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

csdude wrote:
> uhm, does it really matter that much? (as long as they all have the
> same torque?) I mean, we put 33"-s on them , re-gear pinions, put more
> engine torque on them while bouncing on the rocks. I know there are
> specs, but....

As long as they are the same torque and you do not exceed the spec
for your lugs. If you exceed the lug spec they will neck down and
eventually crack. The last thing you want to happen when wheeling
is to have a wheel come off. Some vehicles are very picky and even
more so with mag rims.

--
DougW

Old February 26th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Fawn Liebowitz

Mike Romain wrote:

> You seem to fit right in there 'Fawn', but telling folks to do dangerous
> stuff in a public forum is a no no, whether you think it is a joke or not...

Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. We have to give Mike something to
spend endless sleepless nights over! LOL! Are all Jeep fanatics as
anal as this guy? I know a few here in AZ that fit the bill. Most are
quite insane, of course.

Moving right along...
Old February 26th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Fawn Liebowitz

csdude wrote:
> uhm, does it really matter that much? (as long as they all have the
> same torque?) I mean, we put 33"-s on them , re-gear pinions, put more
> engine torque on them while bouncing on the rocks. I know there are
> specs, but....

Nope, it don't, except for those folks with a slide-rule inside their
pocket protector. I've been wheeling 50+ years and have never, ever
seen a broken lug that resulted from putting a drop of oil on a wheel
stud. I *have* seen rusted lugs that broke that sucker off when you try
to remove it, without ever having the benefit of that drop of lube
during assembly. Case closed.
Old February 26th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

On Feb 25, 9:03*pm, Fawn Liebowitz > wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
> > You seem to fit right in there 'Fawn', but telling folks to do dangerous
> > stuff in a public forum is a no no, whether you think it is a joke or not...

> Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. *We have to give Mike something to
> spend endless sleepless nights over! *LOL! *Are all Jeep fanatics as
> anal as this guy? *I know a few here in AZ that fit the bill. *Most are
> quite insane, of course.
>
> Moving right along...

hey!! Mike has been here for a good while, he knows what he's
talking about
Old February 26th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

On Feb 25, 9:05*pm, Fawn Liebowitz > wrote:
> csdude wrote:
> > uhm, does it really matter that much? (as long as they all have the
> > same torque?) I mean, we put 33"-s on them , re-gear pinions, put more
> > engine torque on them while bouncing on the rocks. I know there are
> > specs, but....

> Nope, it don't, except for those folks with a slide-rule inside their
> pocket protector. *I've been wheeling 50+ years and have never, ever
> seen a broken lug that resulted from putting a drop of oil on a wheel
> stud. *I *have* seen rusted lugs that broke that sucker off when you try
> to remove it, without ever having the benefit of that drop of lube
> during assembly. *Case closed.

right, sometimes I torque then at 95 ft-lbs sometimes at 110 or so.
it's the difference in torque between lug nuts that warps rotors (I
was told)
Old February 26th 09, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Fawn Liebowitz wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
>
>> You seem to fit right in there 'Fawn', but telling folks to do dangerous
>> stuff in a public forum is a no no, whether you think it is a joke or
>> not...

> Oil those lug nuts up good, folks. We have to give Mike something to
> spend endless sleepless nights over! LOL! Are all Jeep fanatics as
> anal as this guy? I know a few here in AZ that fit the bill. Most are
> quite insane, of course.
>
> Moving right along...

Fawn, you need to check ASM specs before you spread this crap. Ask a
certified mechanic to lube those studs and see what response you get - they
really got burned way back when mag wheels rolled out and they didn't
believe that a torque wrench was necessary. Now, they pay attention
instead of irate customers....
--
Will Honea

Old February 26th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

csdude wrote:

> uhm, does it really matter that much? (as long as they all have the
> same torque?) I mean, we put 33"-s on them , re-gear pinions, put more
> engine torque on them while bouncing on the rocks. I know there are
> specs, but....

Well, having drilled out a few busted head bolts after not bothering to
clean and dry the threads I'd have to say, yes it does. Now, head bolt
torques generally run closer to the failure strength that lug nut torques
but the same metallurgy is involved. Oh, and have you ever tried to bust
one of those over-torqued !@#$% loose after a year or so when there was no
air wrench handy????

--
Will Honea

Old February 26th 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

csdude wrote:

> right, sometimes I torque then at 95 ft-lbs sometimes at 110 or so.
> it's the difference in torque between lug nuts that warps rotors (I
> was told)

Think the difference between 95 and 60 or less. That means when you put
95 on wet, you 'really' are putting more like 140 or more on them. This
stretches them and can damage rims. I have seen more than one rim with
worn out holes from overtorquing like this also.

I mean just go look it up for your own education so you know the 'real'
answer before you start snapping waterpump and head bolts.

Unless you think a poster with a fake name from Animal house, the movie,
is telling you the gospel truth. Folks like that are called trolls,
they spout total bull**** to see what kind of a reaction they can get.
Welcome to Usenet...

Mike

If you are looking to build a full wardrobe and you have a limitedbudget, consider shopping in used clothing stores. Used clothing stores offera variety of clothing at affordable prices. You can shop for used clothing inphysical stores or online. [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 21st 08 12:57 PM
Intake manifold torque settings goodnigh Ford Mustang 3 August 25th 07 07:11 AM
torque wrench settings pad Technology 0 October 20th 05 11:28 PM
Wheel bolts torque wrench settings Jonathan Morton Audi 2 September 25th 05 02:38 PM
torque wrench settings paddy wack BMW 1 January 28th 05 09:35 PM