Fram oil Filter Recall

Old February 14th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

Default Fram oil Filter Recall

>I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK.
>That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on
>why Fram filters are bad?

And in the ten years you have been using them have you had any
"Catastrophic" failures?
I'm sure that if you had you would of let this news group know.
Old February 14th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jeff

Jo Baggs wrote:

> I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK.
> That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on
> why Fram filters are bad?

Drain back valve failures leading to dry starts, Bypass spring issues
leading to non filtration. Small filter area, glued cardboard
components.....

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#fram-ph8a

For my Rubicon I use Ford FL-1A if at Walmart or the equivalent WIX if
at the parts store. Also for these Jeep I6 it is critical to use an oil
with at least the ACEA A1 rating, and preferably the A3. Most modern
oils do not have the wear package needed to preserve the flat tappet
cams of Jeep I6s. They removed the zinc because it was shortening the
life of the cats. I have settled on Mobile 1 HIGH MILEAGE, even though
the Rubi only has 40k.
jeff

Old February 14th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"Socks" > wrote in message

>>I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK.
>>That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on
>>why Fram filters are bad?

> And in the ten years you have been using them have you had any
> "Catastrophic" failures?
> I'm sure that if you had you would of let this news group know.

Well, for the record, one of my valves is a little noisy (SBC/Manual 4 spd
tranny). It's very noticeable when the engine idles down (Like coming to a
stop sign).
But I have no idea if the Fram filter is the cause.

I would think that with all the bad publicity, Fram would have corrected
their defects by now. After all, they sell thousands (if not millions) of
their filters. Does anyone know if Fram is still considered a bad filter?

Old February 14th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:

> Well, for the record, one of my valves is a little noisy (SBC/Manual
> 4 spd tranny). It's very noticeable when the engine idles down (Like
> coming to a stop sign).
> But I have no idea if the Fram filter is the cause.

Most often it is. That's my experience.

--
DougW

Old February 15th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Socks wrote:
>> I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK.
>> That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on
>> why Fram filters are bad?

> And in the ten years you have been using them have you had any
> "Catastrophic" failures?
> I'm sure that if you had you would of let this news group know.

I have...

After a hard 4600 mile run I did an oil change and used a fram filter.
The next morning the engine rattled so bad I thought I had cooked it on
the run and was prepping for a rebuild when I remembered about the fram
filter and a post came up in the tech NG about them failing on the
drainback valve.

Changed out the filter and no more noise.

Your Mini doesn't have the same oil filter layout, the drainback valve
is in the engine isn't it?

Mike
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Fram Oil Filters? Nino NoSpam Honda 19 July 4th 06 05:46 AM
Fram C3P depth filter 2 microns filtration [email protected] Jeep 5 October 19th 05 01:08 AM
FRAM oil filter Norm Technology 44 September 7th 05 09:53 PM
Coolant filter on eBay, Fram PR3304 Alan Petrillo 4x4 0 April 5th 05 02:52 AM
Fram air filter for TJ-poor mpg matt Jeep 23 February 4th 05 01:21 PM