Why dont Jeeps get better gas milage?

Old January 31st 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default Why dont Jeeps get better gas milage?

Tomes wrote:
> Besides what the other folks have noted, the Jeeps have the
> aerodynamics of a brick.

Yes, but it's a nice brick.

--
DougW

Old January 31st 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

Mike Romain wrote:
> No hold up at all, go for it!
>
> I drive an 86 CJ7 with the 258 ci straight six, basically stock for
> engine and tune a bunch others for my friends and we all get over 20
> mpg or 11L/100KM highway.
>
> Stock the CJ's were rated for 21 mpg, far better than the new fuel
> injected gas pigs. We wheel alongside folks with the newer TJ's and
> they are always crying the blues when we use about $15.00 "less"
> than
> they do for the same run. The new fuel injection is nice because
> you
> don't have to tune them as often, but you pay for the convenience
> with
> lower mileage.

You really think the difference is the fuel injection and that the 700
pounds more weight doesn't have anything to do with it/

> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
> Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>
> wrote:
>> I would love to have a CJ Jeep but just cant go back to
>> sub 20 mpg efficiency
>>
>> Seems to me it would be easy to make them get better
>> gas mileage
>>
>> What is the holdup?
>>
>> Advice?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old January 31st 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

J. Clarke wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>> No hold up at all, go for it!
>>
>> I drive an 86 CJ7 with the 258 ci straight six, basically stock for
>> engine and tune a bunch others for my friends and we all get over 20
>> mpg or 11L/100KM highway.
>>
>> Stock the CJ's were rated for 21 mpg, far better than the new fuel
>> injected gas pigs. We wheel alongside folks with the newer TJ's and
>> they are always crying the blues when we use about $15.00 "less"
>> than
>> they do for the same run. The new fuel injection is nice because
>> you
>> don't have to tune them as often, but you pay for the convenience
>> with
>> lower mileage.

> You really think the difference is the fuel injection and that the 700
> pounds more weight doesn't have anything to do with it/

Yes I do because mine gets basically the same mileage fully loaded for a
two week camping trip or bare empty, the weight doesn't seem to make a
difference.

99% of my mileage checks are running fully loaded for camping.

Now if you want to talk headwind and tailwind, there is a noticeable
difference there of a couple mpg.

Running with the front diff spinning up also costs me another couple mpg
and the TJ's have no choice on that, where the CJ's have disconnects.

Old January 31st 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

Mike Romain wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>> No hold up at all, go for it!
>>>
>>> I drive an 86 CJ7 with the 258 ci straight six, basically stock
>>> for
>>> engine and tune a bunch others for my friends and we all get over
>>> 20
>>> mpg or 11L/100KM highway.
>>>
>>> Stock the CJ's were rated for 21 mpg, far better than the new fuel
>>> injected gas pigs. We wheel alongside folks with the newer TJ's
>>> and
>>> they are always crying the blues when we use about $15.00 "less"
>>> than
>>> they do for the same run. The new fuel injection is nice because
>>> you
>>> don't have to tune them as often, but you pay for the convenience
>>> with
>>> lower mileage.

>> You really think the difference is the fuel injection and that the
>> 700 pounds more weight doesn't have anything to do with it/

> Yes I do because mine gets basically the same mileage fully loaded
> for a two week camping trip or bare empty, the weight doesn't seem
> make a difference.
>
> 99% of my mileage checks are running fully loaded for camping.
>
> Now if you want to talk headwind and tailwind, there is a noticeable
> difference there of a couple mpg.
>
> Running with the front diff spinning up also costs me another couple
> mpg and the TJ's have no choice on that, where the CJ's have
> disconnects.

Try the same off-road route empty and with 700 pounds of extra weight
and see what difference it makes.

If fuel injection hurt gas mileage then why would car makers in the
world of CAFE be using it?

Old January 31st 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

J. Clarke wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> You really think the difference is the fuel injection and that the
>>> 700 pounds more weight doesn't have anything to do with it/

>> Yes I do because mine gets basically the same mileage fully loaded
>> for a two week camping trip or bare empty, the weight doesn't seem
>> make a difference.
>>
>> 99% of my mileage checks are running fully loaded for camping.
>>
>> Now if you want to talk headwind and tailwind, there is a noticeable
>> difference there of a couple mpg.
>>
>> Running with the front diff spinning up also costs me another couple
>> mpg and the TJ's have no choice on that, where the CJ's have
>> disconnects.

> Try the same off-road route empty and with 700 pounds of extra weight
> and see what difference it makes.

Well on that one $15.00 per run difference with the TJ's, we were bush
running from base camp so we were all pretty much empty.

> If fuel injection hurt gas mileage then why would car makers in the
> world of CAFE be using it?

Because you don't have to tune it to keep the mediocre mileage so the
emissions are more stable. Carburetor systems need to be kept tuned or
they pollute like crazy.

I have owned a brand new carbureted car that got 50 mpg right from the
get go.

Old January 31st 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

"DougW" > wrote
Even my ZJ gets better than 20 and it's blown.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

-----

Freaking SHOW OFF!

I hate you *wink*

I get a whopping 11-12 mpg in my "Brick"

06 Rubi, 4.0L, 4sp Auto,
Rough Country 4" X series-lift,
Rough Country Diff Guards
Rough Country Steering skid brace
Rough Country Winch plate
Rough Country Performance 2.2 shocks
Rough Country steering stabilizer
JKS 1.25" BL 1"MML,
JKS Track Bar
5.13 Gears,
Tom Woods CV Driveshaft
SwayLOC,
Selby Rock rails,
DickHard rear bumper & swing away tire carrier
Warn M8000,
Carr Rota Light bar w/a 6 pack,
15 x 10 Cepek DC-1 wheels & 33" Cepek Mud Country Tires
Cobra 75wxst w/ 4' Firestick
Aww **** handles
HD Rear shackles
Superlift TruSpeed
Iron Rock Tie Rod
Alloy rear axle shafts

How's THAT for a basic mods list.

*grin*
K.

Old February 1st 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

Mike Romain wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Mike Romain wrote:

>>> Yes I do because mine gets basically the same mileage fully loaded
>>> for a two week camping trip or bare empty, the weight doesn't seem
>>> make a difference.
>>>
>>> 99% of my mileage checks are running fully loaded for camping.
>>>
>>> Now if you want to talk headwind and tailwind, there is a
>>> noticeable
>>> difference there of a couple mpg.
>>>
>>> Running with the front diff spinning up also costs me another
>>> couple
>>> mpg and the TJ's have no choice on that, where the CJ's have
>>> disconnects.

>> Try the same off-road route empty and with 700 pounds of extra
>> weight
>> and see what difference it makes.

> Well on that one $15.00 per run difference with the TJ's, we were
> bush
> running from base camp so we were all pretty much empty.

And a TJ's empty weight is about 700 pounds more than a CJ's.

>> If fuel injection hurt gas mileage then why would car makers in the
>> world of CAFE be using it?

> Because you don't have to tune it to keep the mediocre mileage so
> the
> emissions are more stable. Carburetor systems need to be kept tuned
> or they pollute like crazy.

Why do car makers care what happens beyond the EPA certification test?
And why would a need to keep the cars tuned, which is revenue for the
dealers, be seen as a bad thing?

Hint--they don't get taxed on emissions, they get taxed on corporate
average fuel economy. That means that emissions don't hit them in the
wallet, gas mileage does.

> I have owned a brand new carbureted car that got 50 mpg right from
> the
> get go.

And you used to be able to buy a brand new fuel injected car that got
58 right from the get go. The highest mileage conventional car ever
sold in the US got 68, again with fuel injection.

Old February 1st 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote:

>For one month I did a little experiment. There are two lights that if
>I miss them will take about 2-3 minutes to cycle. Just turning the
>Jeep off gave me another 3-4 MPG just by not idling. Did a bit of thought
>on cutting out injectors when at idle. Never did go past the thinking
>stage.

What abt buying and using one of these? I've even
thought abt buying on for my current car and it gets
abt 27 mpg..... but this gauge above would give me
"real time" info as I drive

http://www.scangauge.com/
Old February 1st 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

wrote:
> "DougW" wrote:
>
>> For one month I did a little experiment. There are two lights that
>> if
>> I miss them will take about 2-3 minutes to cycle. Just turning the
>> Jeep off gave me another 3-4 MPG just by not idling. Did a bit of
>> thought on cutting out injectors when at idle. Never did go past
>> the thinking stage.

> What abt buying and using one of these? I've even
> thought abt buying on for my current car and it gets
> abt 27 mpg..... but this gauge above would give me
> "real time" info as I drive

http://www.scangauge.com/

Probably not a bad idea, but they won't work with my older OBD.
The ZJ does have a milage computer, real-time and average. Fairly
accurate, but still a guess based on static fuel pressure and injector
timing. Think it also reads the tank since one of the functions
is distance-to-empty. I keep a milage log, have since I bought the
vehicle. Comes in handy as an indication when things need checking.

--
DougW

Old February 1st 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
man of machines

i get 24 on the highway in my xj

wrote:

> I would love to have a CJ Jeep but just cant go back to
> sub 20 mpg efficiency
>
> Seems to me it would be easy to make them get better
> gas mileage
>
> What is the holdup?
>
> Advice?

advice, jeeps, used [email protected] Jeep 8 July 18th 07 04:38 PM
6x6 jeeps molki Jeep 1 November 12th 06 03:06 PM
jeeps with big tires Troy Jeep 12 October 6th 06 04:19 AM
Jeeps & Geocaching Kate[_3_] Jeep 0 August 3rd 06 04:04 PM
a must 4 jeeps IsellJeeps Jeep 25 April 22nd 05 03:00 AM