Synthetic Blends

Old November 6th 05, 07:03 AM
BradandBrooks

Default Synthetic Blends

Q:

How much synthetic oil is really in a synthetic blend oil? I saw on the Havoline website that they say between 3 and 10%. That seems really low. And for the price? It would be better, and cheaper to throw in one litre of full synthetic oil in with the rest of the dino oil in your crankcase.

Is synthetic blend a rip? Sure seems like it to me.

Brad

Old November 6th 05, 02:08 PM
Backyard Mechanic

"BradandBrooks" > wrote:

> Q:
>
> How much synthetic oil is really in a synthetic blend oil? I saw on
> the Havoline website that they say between 3 and 10%. That seems
> really low. And for the price? It would be better, and cheaper to
> throw in one litre of full synthetic oil in with the rest of the dino
> oil in your crankcase.

Uh, yeah. It would

Even better to run at least half/half... oh he!!, why not just use ALL
Mobil 1 at the change and top off with Dino if needed.

> Is synthetic blend a rip? Sure seems like it to me.

Which is why I never bought it... it's something Pennzoil might do. But
Castrol beat 'em to it.

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!
Old November 7th 05, 12:17 AM

Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
change for $19
at your local rapid lube pit.

Old November 7th 05, 06:47 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
> change for $19
> at your local rapid lube pit.

You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
a similar good dino oil.

With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
a great performance advantage and no price advantage.

Old November 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Rich

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:47:41 GMT, > wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Why would anyone buy that stuff? Might as well go for a "bulk oil"
>> change for $19
>> at your local rapid lube pit.

>You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
>oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
>a similar good dino oil.
>
>With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
>a great performance advantage and no price advantage.

I like synthetics. When you start in very cold weather, you don't get
that sluggish effect you get from natural oil whose viscosity changes
rapidly with temperture.
-Rich

If Blu-Ray and HD-DVD require players to be hooked-up to
the internet to obtain "permission" for playback (like the
DIVX horror of the late 1990s) people shouldn't buy or rent
the players OR any of the disks. That incarnation of a high
definition format MUST die.
Old November 8th 05, 12:30 PM

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message

> > You could, or you could change the oil yourself with a high quality
> > oil and filter for about $10-11. Im speaking Castrol, Valvoline, or
> > a similar good dino oil.
> >
> > With the new dino formulations, I dont believe the synthetics offer
> > a great performance advantage and no price advantage.

> Well that's pretty much way incorrect.

No, actually it isn't. This thread has been beaten to death, and few or
none
will change their opinions, and that is fine with me. Do what you like.

Old November 9th 05, 03:17 AM
John

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:13:53 -0600, WindsorFox

>> "WindsorFox" > wrote in message

>>> Well that's pretty much way incorrect.

>> No, actually it isn't. This thread has been beaten to death, and few or
>> none
>> will change their opinions, and that is fine with me. Do what you like.
>>

> Actually it quite is. There is mounds of scientific proof from
>numerous places. Even Mobil has begun to lenthen drain intervals with
>their synthetic. Why did Calloway put it in his Vette? Take a look at
>some oil sample results sometime. This is not an opinion, it is proven
>fact that even the worst synthetics are more stable than the best
>conventional oils.

I have a friend that never changes his oil. Every 3,000 miles he puts
on a new filter and tops it off with Mobil 1. He's done this for
years now. This is probably equivalent to changing the oil every 15
to 30 K miles, depending on how much oil the filter holds.

John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
ThunderSnake #59
Old November 9th 05, 06:15 AM
Spike

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:17:35 -0500, John
> wrote:

>I have a friend that never changes his oil. Every 3,000 miles he puts
>on a new filter and tops it off with Mobil 1. He's done this for
>years now. This is probably equivalent to changing the oil every 15
>to 30 K miles, depending on how much oil the filter holds.
>
>John
>'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
>ThunderSnake #59

Kind of a shame really. How many gazillion dinos gave their lives to
become oil and your friend gets miserly... : 0 )
--
Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;

too late for synthetic? chibitul Honda 8 July 18th 05 05:24 AM
warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
full synthetic VW 505 01 in North America? Achim Nolcken Lohse VW water cooled 20 November 8th 04 07:41 AM
VW502.00 and Shell Rotella T Synthetic - the answer William Maslin VW water cooled 0 October 27th 04 10:06 PM
Question to those who use synthetic oil Joe Blo General 14 July 22nd 04 03:47 AM