Synthetic Blends

Old November 10th 05, 11:25 PM

Default Synthetic Blends THIS IS A GOOD IDEA???

"nospam" > wrote in message news:gOycf.557673$xm3.374084@attbi_s21...
An old man I've known since the '70's (he's now 82 years old) asked me the question "What's 10W30 mean?"
I told him, and he replied, if 10 weight is OK in the winter, why not all of the time? I had no answer. He said that since the 1950's he has run only pure 10 weight oil in every car he's ever owned. He said that once in the late '50's there was a recall, he took the car in and the mechanics were astonished by how perfect the interior of his engine was.
The way he explained it to me was that 10 weight oil's molecules are smaller, thus allowing more of them to get to bearing surfaces, etc. and providing better lubrication overall.

Does anyone else here think this could be true?

Dave

10 weight oil implies low viscosity, and the Einsteinian model shows that viscosity is proportional
to molecular size. So, in a sense he is right that the molecules are smaller. But, for optimum lubrication
the molecules need to be of a certain configuration and they need to be large enough to be displaced
only slowly.

He is partially correct, and partially off base.
Old November 10th 05, 11:36 PM
Spike

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:25:25 GMT, > wrote:

> "nospam" > wrote in message news:gOycf.557673$xm3.374084@attbi_s21...
> An old man I've known since the '70's (he's now 82 years old) asked me the question "What's 10W30 mean?"
> I told him, and he replied, if 10 weight is OK in the winter, why not all of the time? I had no answer. He said that since the 1950's he has run only pure 10 weight oil in every car he's ever owned. He said that once in the late '50's there was a recall, he took the car in and the mechanics were astonished by how perfect the interior of his engine was.
> The way he explained it to me was that 10 weight oil's molecules are smaller, thus allowing more of them to get to bearing surfaces, etc. and providing better lubrication overall.
>
> Does anyone else here think this could be true?
>
> Dave
>
> 10 weight oil implies low viscosity, and the Einsteinian model shows that viscosity is proportional
> to molecular size. So, in a sense he is right that the molecules are smaller. But, for optimum lubrication
> the molecules need to be of a certain configuration and they need to be large enough to be displaced
> only slowly.
>
> He is partially correct, and partially off base.

I may have been absent that day in Chem (it's only been since
1963-64), but I thought that the molecules were the same size for a
given chemical, with the difference being either the spacing between
molecules as with the difference between ice and boiling water, or the
numbers or protons/neutrons encircling the atom as with the difference
between regular water (that's kitchen , not bathroom) and heavy water.
--
Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old November 11th 05, 12:17 AM
Rich

Default Synthetic Blends

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:42:16 GMT, "Richard" > wrote:

> wrote in message
. net...

>> "John" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I have a friend that never changes his oil. Every 3,000 miles he puts
>> > on a new filter and tops it off with Mobil 1. He's done this for
>> > years now. This is probably equivalent to changing the oil every 15
>> > to 30 K miles, depending on how much oil the filter holds.

>> He probably never changes his underdrawers either. Only a fool
>> treats an engine this way.

>I wonder. I seem to recall reading an article many, many years ago that
>Greyhound did the same thing.

Maybe the consistency of the oil increases as the wear on the engine
does so leaks don't get any worse?
Nevertheless, anyone advocating it is a cheap loser.
-Rich
Old November 11th 05, 12:50 AM
John

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:23:30 GMT, > wrote:

>"trainfan1" > wrote in message > From a chemical &
>physical perspective, synthetics are far superior,
>> but please don't let science get in the way of anecdotal evidence...
>> which is all you will get in usenet discussions.
>>
>> Rob

>From a chemical perspective, I am far more qualified to make an observation
>than you will ever be.
>I was the R&D director for a major global firm for years.
>
>You can believe all the bull**** you want, but the facts are far less
>definitive that you would
>hope we would believe.

Has the consumer *ever* had all the data they wanted on a product when
a company is marketing it for a profit? Hell no!

When can you tell when a salesman is lying? Excuse me, salesperson.

When their lips are moving.

--
John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue
Old November 11th 05, 01:08 AM
WindsorFox

Joe wrote:
> John > wrote in
> :
>

>>On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:43:57 -0600, WindsorFox
> wrote:

> puts

> 15

>>> God forbid you tell Joe that. He goes out of his way to make
>>>sophomoric crap about a one year change interval.

>>Joe who?

> Ask WF how often he changes his Amsoil.
>
> And again for the record, WF, anyone who changes his or her oil once a
> year is a fool.

And yet, you manage to make one of yourself by mearly pressing the
reply button.

--
I'm intrigued by the thought that, later on,
the poster wont be able to find his question,
Old November 11th 05, 02:25 PM
Joe

WindsorFox > wrote in news:i9Scf.2980
$4n5.1610@dukeread01:

> Joe wrote:
>> John > wrote in
>> :

>> puts

>> 15

>>>Joe who?

>> Ask WF how often he changes his Amsoil.
>>
>> And again for the record, WF, anyone who changes his or her oil once

>> year is a fool.
>>

> And yet, you manage to make one of yourself by mearly pressing

the
> reply button.

LOL! You're just too funny, WF. So how often do you change your
Amsoil anyway?

too late for synthetic? chibitul Honda 8 July 18th 05 05:24 AM
warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
full synthetic VW 505 01 in North America? Achim Nolcken Lohse VW water cooled 20 November 8th 04 07:41 AM
VW502.00 and Shell Rotella T Synthetic - the answer William Maslin VW water cooled 0 October 27th 04 10:06 PM
Question to those who use synthetic oil Joe Blo General 14 July 22nd 04 03:47 AM