1997 A3 owners manual and slipping cluth

Old September 10th 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Greg[_8_]

Default 1997 A3 owners manual and slipping cluth

Hi all,

Have bought a '97 model 5 speed 1.8 litre A3.

Had the owners manual, but some nut stole my car and when it was
returned owners manual was gone. Anyone know where I might find
another one?

Am in Sydney Australia.

Also, clutch seems to be slipping. Car has about 170k on it and
everything else seems to be ok. Changing gears, it will seem to slip
at low revs and then be ok. In higher gears at low revs, if I out my
foot down to accelerate, it seems to slip and then "catch up".

Is this a major problem? Should I try changing the clutch fluid before
going to a mechanic to be ripped off?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old September 10th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

Greg knastet inn: :
> Hi all,
>
> Have bought a '97 model 5 speed 1.8 litre A3.
>
> Had the owners manual, but some nut stole my car and when it was
> returned owners manual was gone. Anyone know where I might find
> another one?
>
> Am in Sydney Australia.
>
> Also, clutch seems to be slipping. Car has about 170k on it and
> everything else seems to be ok. Changing gears, it will seem to slip
> at low revs and then be ok. In higher gears at low revs, if I out my
> foot down to accelerate, it seems to slip and then "catch up".
>
> Is this a major problem? Should I try changing the clutch fluid before
> going to a mechanic to be ripped off?

Sounds like your clutch is ready to be renewed. What you
describe, are the early warnings. It could last for another
3 weeks/months, but ... it's ready for renewal.

To confirm renewal, try when standing still in 4. gear, give some
throttle [3500 revs] -- and release the clutch.

If it's slipping -- test positive => renew clutch. This test
alone, can be /the last nail in the coffin/. Don't do it if you're
short on money :-)

--

Had to change mine [1.8T] after 90' km, 170k is not bad at all.
Old September 11th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Greg[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 07:07:43 +0200, Frank > wrote:

>Greg knastet inn: :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Have bought a '97 model 5 speed 1.8 litre A3.
>>
>> Had the owners manual, but some nut stole my car and when it was
>> returned owners manual was gone. Anyone know where I might find
>> another one?
>>
>> Am in Sydney Australia.
>>
>> Also, clutch seems to be slipping. Car has about 170k on it and
>> everything else seems to be ok. Changing gears, it will seem to slip
>> at low revs and then be ok. In higher gears at low revs, if I out my
>> foot down to accelerate, it seems to slip and then "catch up".
>>
>> Is this a major problem? Should I try changing the clutch fluid before
>> going to a mechanic to be ripped off?

>Sounds like your clutch is ready to be renewed. What you
>describe, are the early warnings. It could last for another
>3 weeks/months, but ... it's ready for renewal.
>
>To confirm renewal, try when standing still in 4. gear, give some
>throttle [3500 revs] -- and release the clutch.
>
>If it's slipping -- test positive => renew clutch. This test
>alone, can be /the last nail in the coffin/. Don't do it if you're
>short on money :-)

Thanks for the heads up Frank. I'll give it a go and see what happens.