Reprogramming PCM

Old April 15th 06, 06:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Reprogramming PCM

I'd like to have my fans kick on a little sooner. I see this can be
accomplished two ways. By getting a wiring harness and some other hardware
or have the PCM reprogrammed. My friend informed me of this site:
http://wait4meperformance.com/ He sent the PCM from his 03 Silverado there
for reprogramming and when he got it back his truck ran significantly
better. I contacted them about my fans and they said they can set it to have
the fans to come on earlier and also have them stay of for a few minutes
after shutting the motor down. He also said that they can get me 22 more HP
by tweaking various control parameters in the PCM. All this for $90.

So my questions a Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has
anyone had their PCM reprogrammed and if so what were the results? As for
controlling the fans, I'm thinking going the PCM route is the preferred
method. Is there something I'm missing in thinking this way? Are there
benefits going the other way that I'm missing?

Jim
99 Mag Red Coupe, 6 speed, Z51

Old April 17th 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

JG wrote:
> I'd like to have my fans kick on a little sooner. I see this can be
> accomplished two ways. By getting a wiring harness and some other hardware
> or have the PCM reprogrammed. My friend informed me of this site:
> http://wait4meperformance.com/ He sent the PCM from his 03 Silverado there
> for reprogramming and when he got it back his truck ran significantly
> better. I contacted them about my fans and they said they can set it to have
> the fans to come on earlier and also have them stay of for a few minutes
> after shutting the motor down. He also said that they can get me 22 more HP
> by tweaking various control parameters in the PCM. All this for $90.
>
> So my questions a Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has
> anyone had their PCM reprogrammed and if so what were the results? As for
> controlling the fans, I'm thinking going the PCM route is the preferred
> method. Is there something I'm missing in thinking this way? Are there
> benefits going the other way that I'm missing?
>

> Jim
> 99 Mag Red Coupe, 6 speed, Z51

For the fan, agree, the PCM route is better than a wiring change.

Had a mild 'tune' in early February. Didn't do a fan change. This car
doesn't do much work in city or 'rush hour' traffic. I opted for a
conservative, mid-rpm tune. I believe that the only changes were fuel
and spark tables in the 2500-4200 range. Didn't opt for changes in rpm
limiter or an increase in WOT HP at 5000. Upside is improved pull in
third and the car is quicker. Downside is my tendency to shift too
early. Dyno numbers show the torque is still there but the gut
sensation is that it's flat at 4500. Definitely not a Z06 feeling.
Average of three 1/8 mile slips improved by 4 mph. (Quick, talented, and
handsome youngster like Dad could probably squeeze it to 6 or 7 mph.)

$ 375 for the work. Included coarse tune, dyno, a second data load,
another dyno and then steady state scans at four points in the changed
range. Those scans offered some assurance that I won't melt the engine.

Suggestion & my opinion for a car with some miles on it: Unless you
feel that hot 1/4 mile runs are a must and that engines are
'disposables,' go with a tuner who dynos the tune on the vehicle then
scans all the critical parameters after the changes.

Enjoy & wave--even at C4s!
--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe