Factory alternator

Old March 9th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Cletus

Default Factory alternator

73 Super Beetle has a facttory alternator, it has the one big red
wire then has a 3 prong plug on top for eveyrthing else. Where do
the 3 wires go? My new aftermarket alt in my other car only has 2
other wires, the gen light and also a ground to the body of the alt.
thanks for your help.

Old March 9th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Cletus wrote:

> 73 Super Beetle has a facttory alternator, it has the one big red
> wire then has a 3 prong plug on top for eveyrthing else. Where do
> the 3 wires go? My new aftermarket alt in my other car only has 2
> other wires, the gen light and also a ground to the body of the alt.
> thanks for your help.

US cars used a Motorola alternator with external regulator.
The reg is under the back seat.
This page of my web site has alternator info you are looking for:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

Old March 10th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Cletus

> US cars used a Motorola alternator with external regulator.
> The reg is under the back seat.
> This page of my web site has alternator info you are looking for:http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

Thanks Jim, So do they still make that external regulator or should i
just junk the whole setup and get a modern alternator? and which
wire is which?

Old March 10th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Cletus wrote:

>> US cars used a Motorola alternator with external regulator.
>>The reg is under the back seat.
>>This page of my web site has alternator info you are looking for:http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

> Thanks Jim, So do they still make that external regulator or should i
> just junk the whole setup and get a modern alternator? and which
> wire is which?

Hard to find that reg. Maybe on:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

All the wire info is on the link I gave you.

Jim
Old March 10th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Cletus wrote:

>>> US cars used a Motorola alternator with external regulator.
>>> The reg is under the back seat.
>>> This page of my web site has alternator info you are looking
>>> for:http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

>> Thanks Jim, So do they still make that external regulator or should i
>> just junk the whole setup and get a modern alternator? and which
>> wire is which?
>>

> Hard to find that reg. Maybe on:
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
>
> All the wire info is on the link I gave you.
>
> Jim

All the engines I build for myself and most of the engines I built for
customers use an internally regulated (NEW) alternator. The wiring is
soooo simple... and new is new, no guesswork, no wondering if it will
croak soon or last a year or two.. Relatively small investment for a
peace of mind.

Jan