Solved my break problem

Old March 9th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

Default Solved my break problem

Some many months ago..like this time last year! I had rebuilt my chopped 66
bug. I had an odd brake problem once I tried to drive it. It seemed as if my
brakes became more and more locked up as I drove the car. Some here
suggested that I needed to replace my rubber brake lines. That since I could
not recall if I had replaced them too in my rebuild they may be old and
swelling on the inside.

Last week I was at the shop where I purchased the master cylinder when I did
my rebuild.. Since my car had been garraged for almost a year waiting for me
to fix it, I asked him what the chances were that the master cylinder I
bought from him might be faulty and causing the problem.

He said possible but not likely, and asked had I adjusted the brake pedal
push rod. When I had done the brake work I read this part in my manual. It
said to leave it alone so I did. Well I crawled into the floor last weekend
with tools and work light and removed the push rod. When I checked it
against the specs in the manual I found that it was adjusted out close to
3/8 inch too far! I made the adjustment and whadya know!!?? I got brakes
again!!

Hope my follie might help someone.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all of you!

Mike West/Houston Texas

Old March 9th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert

On Mar 8, 8:47 pm, "Mike West" > wrote:
> Some many months ago..like this time last year! I had rebuilt my chopped 66
> bug. I had an odd brake problem once I tried to drive it. It seemed as if my
> brakes became more and more locked up as I drove the car. Some here
> suggested that I needed to replace my rubber brake lines. That since I could
> not recall if I had replaced them too in my rebuild they may be old and
> swelling on the inside.
>
> Last week I was at the shop where I purchased the master cylinder when I did
> my rebuild.. Since my car had been garraged for almost a year waiting for me
> to fix it, I asked him what the chances were that the master cylinder I
> bought from him might be faulty and causing the problem.
>
> He said possible but not likely, and asked had I adjusted the brake pedal
> push rod. When I had done the brake work I read this part in my manual. It
> said to leave it alone so I did. Well I crawled into the floor last weekend
> with tools and work light and removed the push rod. When I checked it
> against the specs in the manual I found that it was adjusted out close to
> 3/8 inch too far! I made the adjustment and whadya know!!?? I got brakes
> again!!
>
> Hope my follie might help someone.
>
> Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all of you!
>
> Mike West/Houston Texas

I do remember you posting your brake problem. I sure do appreciate
when people give a follow up to their problems. I'm glad that you
found your answer. Thanks for posting. - Robert

Old March 10th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan

On Mar 9, 12:47 pm, "Mike West" > wrote:
> Some many months ago..like this time last year! I had rebuilt my chopped 66
> bug. I had an odd brake problem once I tried to drive it. It seemed as if my
> brakes became more and more locked up as I drove the car.
> <snip>
>
> Mike West/Houston Texas

There is a good write up about the problems caused by mis-adjusted
brake push rods here. I thought it might help anyone else who might
be experiencing this problem:
http://www.vw-resource.com/pressure.html

E30 charging problem solved Matt Warren BMW 4 May 2nd 06 10:10 PM
Beretta toe problem solved ray Technology 2 April 13th 06 05:44 AM
Civic problem solved! Ropert's Aloha Technology 11 December 21st 04 12:31 AM
Problem solved Dave Chrysler 2 October 31st 04 07:46 PM
Solved my own problem... Blah Blah Saturn 1 September 11th 04 01:21 AM