1989 Accord problems and resolutions

Old April 21st 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tommytoyz

Default 1989 Accord problems and resolutions

I want to thank this board for much help in getting my girlfriend's
1989 accord EX going.

1. It would not always start and sometimes the check engine light
would come on. After several false goose chases like replacing the
fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil, and perhaps a few other things
- I finally researched here and found a common problem being a bad
main relay. When I changed that, all the problems went away.

2. Recently it only reluctantly cranked over. I fried a battery that
went dead before I looked at the cable end points and cleaned them as
best I could before installing a new battery. While the cables were
sitting loose on the terminals, the started displayed the same
behavior. When I tighten the cables onto the battery, it cranked like
new. So I assume there just wasn't enough contact before and the
battery wasn't even getting charged anymore and was just getting
discharged. Since it was fairly new, Autozone replaced it for free.

3. Surging Idle. I was already growing weary and thinking if there is
a vacuum leak, that this car wasn't going anywhere for a long time.
But again, I read on here of a common problem with many honda engines
with fuel injection. And that a dirty IACV a.k.a. Idle Air Control
Valve causes this. So I did that without even uninstalling the thing,
just loosening it and used a sensor cleaner spray with a straw and
viola, the engine runs like new.

Thanks to all.

I also have a 1994 accord EX and the steering wheel vibrates somewhat
when I'm up to speed and accelerate. I know something is worn out. Any
ideas? It also clicks when I turn over hard around sharp corners, but
I don't think they are related, or are they?
Old April 25th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tommytoyz

I also had another problem with leaking power steering fluid. Despite
all the warnings not to put anything in there besides Honda fluid, I
poured about 1 quart of a fluid that promised to stop leaks in the
power steering system. Obviously non Honda.

For once, the product worked as advertised. I only had to top off the
reservoir once by adding a little more after I did that and ever since
it's held steady.

By the way, it could be my girlfriend's car is an LXi - I forgot. In
any case it has a fuel injection V-tec with multi port something or
other. It runs great now after 180,000 miles.

Now the passenger side window won't move, so I suspect I need a new
assembly. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old April 25th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_2_]

"tommytoyz" > wrote in message

> Now the passenger side window won't move, so I suspect I need a new
> assembly. Any tips would be appreciated.

Check the lock out switch on the drivers door.