fuel in the engine oil & NYC repair places

Old March 11th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cj[_2_]

Default fuel in the engine oil & NYC repair places

Hey guys and dolls. I was wondering if anyone had any insight in to my
problem. For some reason my engine is dumping fuel in to the oil. I can't
seem to find out why. This has been going on since last July-ish. I
brought it in to my repair place and they replaced the fuel pump because the
said the fuel pump leaking fuel in to the engine. Fine. Didn't fix the
problem. Then I brought it in again, and they said I needed adjustments to
my duel carbs. Fine. Still didn't fix the problem. Then they said they
said I needed to replace the old dual carbs because they might have gone bad
and they charged me for replacing it with a rebuilt single carb and manifold
they had laying around. I pick up the car and the fuse is blown to my radio
for some reason and it looks like someone took the radio out of the car.
They fixed that no charge. Now it's doing the same problem again...dumping
fuel in to my engine. During this whole time I kept saying if the engine is
screwed I want to either rebuild the engine, or better yet just get a
turn-key engine and replace the whole thing. They kept telling me it was
this or that. So, I was wondering if anyone would know why I'm dumping fuel
in to my engine?? Compression seems fine, though sometimes she's hard to
get started even after replacing it with a stock carb. Also, was wondering
if anyone knew of a good VW repair place in the NYC Metro area. I'm
starting to lose my confidence in the place I've been taking it to. Thanks
a lot for any information you can give me.

Mike

--
Confidentiality Notice: This Electronic message, together with its
attachments, if any, is intended to be viewed only by the individual to whom

Old March 11th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch

cj wrote:
> Hey guys and dolls. I was wondering if anyone had any insight in to my
> problem. For some reason my engine is dumping fuel in to the oil. I can't
> seem to find out why. This has been going on since last July-ish. I
> brought it in to my repair place and they replaced the fuel pump because the
> said the fuel pump leaking fuel in to the engine. Fine. Didn't fix the
> problem. Then I brought it in again, and they said I needed adjustments to
> my duel carbs. Fine. Still didn't fix the problem. Then they said they
> said I needed to replace the old dual carbs because they might have gone bad
> and they charged me for replacing it with a rebuilt single carb and manifold
> they had laying around. I pick up the car and the fuse is blown to my radio
> for some reason and it looks like someone took the radio out of the car.
> They fixed that no charge. Now it's doing the same problem again...dumping
> fuel in to my engine. During this whole time I kept saying if the engine is
> screwed I want to either rebuild the engine, or better yet just get a
> turn-key engine and replace the whole thing. They kept telling me it was
> this or that. So, I was wondering if anyone would know why I'm dumping fuel
> in to my engine?? Compression seems fine, though sometimes she's hard to
> get started even after replacing it with a stock carb. Also, was wondering
> if anyone knew of a good VW repair place in the NYC Metro area. I'm
> starting to lose my confidence in the place I've been taking it to. Thanks
> a lot for any information you can give me.
>
> Mike

My guess is that the float valve in the carburetor has started to back
itself out and is letting gas seep past, down the intake manifold into
the cylinders and eventually into the crankcase. This will be
aggravated if you park on an incline with the gas tank higher than the
motor. Take the carburetor apart and check the float valve.

Old March 12th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

It kinda helps when you tell us which VW you are talking about. ;-)
Type 1
Type 2
Type 3
Type 4
or ???

All might have different components that might affect/cause your problem.

Usually a problem like yours comes from the fuel pump leaking into the
engine case. Sometimes it comes from an overly rich mixture or a bad inlet
valve or float.
You have had all things changed. So maybe that NEW fuel pump is
defective????
Oh I think if the engine or the carbs get hot the fuel could bubble out of
the carb bowl and enter the throat of the carb and go to the cylinders.

I guess in the meanwhile you could install a fuel line lock and shut off the
fuel going to the engine. :-)
Find someone with a VW like you have and ask them where they take theirs for
service.

good luck!
--
later,
dave

Old March 12th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cj[_2_]

Yeah. Guess it would help. It's a 1974 VW Superbeetle.
--
Confidentiality Notice: This Electronic message, together with its
attachments, if any, is intended to be viewed only by the individual to whom
it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, protected health information and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited without our prior permission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or if you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail
and delete the original message and any copies of it from your computer
system.

t...

Old March 12th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default fuel in the engine oil & NYC repair places ('74 Super Beetle)

Then I vote that the new fuel pump is also bad. Esp. since you have a
different intake system now.
Is it a Bosal fuel pump?
AFAIK there are basically two fuel pumps that can fit on your vehicle, they
both look similar but one that is for the alternator-equipped engine and the
other for the generator. The pushrods can be different lengths and the gen
pushrod is too long for the alt fuel pump and possibly could cause damage.
Since your engine had the dual carb setup then it might have had the fuel
pump for the generator-equipped engine.

Pull it off and smell the bottom of it. Also did this place pack the bottom
on the pump with grease?

Sometimes it is better if YOU do the work yourself! ;-)

JMHO

Old March 12th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch

Could be the fuel pump. Could also be the float valve in the
carburetor. Sometimes the needle valve sticks open, sometimes the float
valve starts backing itself out because it wasn't put in tight enough.
In either case the result is the same. Gas gets past the float valve,
runs down the intake manifold and into the cylinders. Eventually it
seeps past the rings and into the crank case. First symptom is that
suddenly your car turns over but won't crank (because the air/fuel
mixture is so rich it will not ignite). You pop the engine lid and
start poking around. Eventually you pull the dipstick and are surprised
to see you've got more oil in the crankcase than you put in. This is
very weird, you've used to seeing the oil level go down but you've never
seen it go up. You rub a bit of the oil between your fingers and find
that it is very thin and smells of gas.

If this is your problem, it will be exacerbated by parking on any
incline with the gas tank in the uphill position. I've seen this happen
a half dozen times or so. More frequently on the 28 PICTs and there
about but it also occurs on the later carburetors as well.

Old March 12th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

> Also, was wondering
> if anyone knew of a good VW repair place in the NYC Metro area. I'm
> starting to lose my confidence in the place I've been taking it to.

This isn't metro NYC, but about 50 miles NE of NYC in Bridgeport CT
there's a place called Alpha Motors on Huntington Rd/River st.
He used to specialize in acvws in the day.