1970 Iginition Switch Help needed

Old March 11th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Al

Default 1970 Iginition Switch Help needed

I have a 1970 Beetle Convetible. On occasion, when I turn the key to
"start" it doesn't engage the starter. If I try it again, it usually
works. Any insight? I assume that I need a new starter switch. As I
look in my Bentley, I don't see enough information to know what I'm up
against.

Any insight? Help? Problems to watch out for? Tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Al
1970 Beetle Convertible
Spokane, WA
Old March 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Al wrote:

> I have a 1970 Beetle Convetible. On occasion, when I turn the key to
> "start" it doesn't engage the starter. If I try it again, it usually
> works. Any insight? I assume that I need a new starter switch. As I
> look in my Bentley, I don't see enough information to know what I'm up
> against.
>
> Any insight? Help? Problems to watch out for? Tips and tricks?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Al
> 1970 Beetle Convertible
> Spokane, WA

It's a common problem. And replacement switches are ****.

Replacement is *not* fun either.
We had a recent thread about this on another forum:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=342221
Moby added a neat sketch which may help you.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old March 11th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Flea

well the 70 is a little different then the 74 ... but what i can tell
you on a 74 .. is it is sometimes the switch, and sometimes the lock
cyl .. on the 70 if i am not mistaken (which i likely am) .. the wires
are part of the switch .. and then the lock cyl is a seperate part ...
on my moms 74 .. the switch isnt the problem .. the lock cyl isn't
fully engaging the switch all the time when you turn it over ...
(mostly due to loose fitmant between the peice on the bottom of the
lock cyl and where it engages the switch)

Old March 11th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Flea

for replacing it

pull steering wheel ... remove turn signal assy ... unhook wires ...
then yank the crap out of the assembly ... then remove the lock/switch
assy from the housing once it is free from the steering shaft ..
(note, my way may cause bodily injury and aint likely the right way ..
but hey it works)

Old March 11th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Flea wrote:

> for replacing it
>
> pull steering wheel ... remove turn signal assy ... unhook wires ...
> then yank the crap out of the assembly ... then remove the lock/switch
> assy from the housing once it is free from the steering shaft ..
> (note, my way may cause bodily injury and aint likely the right way ..
> but hey it works)

HaHa!

No, your way is quite accurate.

And, yeah, on his '70 the wires come with the switch.

Jim
Old March 11th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Flea

wasnt for sure, went to replace the one in my mom's 74 ... and kept
pulling and tugging ... and it wouldnt budge .. so i got some
leverage ... with my feet and yanked ...

forgot the front seat was just sitting in there ... ended up in the
back seat of the car with most of the colum in my hand .. and a
puzzled look on my face ...