Which factory radio is correct for a '72 Coupe?

Old April 8th 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Which factory radio is correct for a '72 Coupe?

I've been lookng at radios on eBay to replace the newer head unit that
came in my '72 Cp. If I have this correct, the green dial mono radio
goes up to 1971 and white dial stereo started some time in 1972. I had
the dash open and it looks like the transistor and heat sink is still
there. There is only one transistor on the heat sink which seems to
indicate it's mono. I'd like to put in the correct radio but if both
are correct for the 1972 I'd rather have stereo.

John G.

Old April 12th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks WayneC - I guess stereo was always an option - my option list
shows the AM/FM Radio @ $178 so it's mono. I'd still like to know the
correct dial color for a '72 - and I think the knobs changed too. I'll
resolve it in my future field studies . . .

JG

Old April 12th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Thanks WayneC - I guess stereo was always an option - my option list
> shows the AM/FM Radio @ $178 so it's mono. I'd still like to know the
> correct dial color for a '72 - and I think the knobs changed too. I'll
> resolve it in my future field studies . .

According to my NCRS '70-'72 Judging Manual:

"Two Delco AM/FM push-button radios are available, one having stereo FM
reception. Both model radios use a slide bar above the dial for AM or FM
band selection. The word "Delco" on the lens face should be in script
lettering. When receiving FM stereo on 1970 and 1971 Corvettes, the word
STEREO lights up in green block letters. On 1972s an orange dot glows to
show stereo reception. Check both radio dials for cracking. Dials in
1970 and 1971 have light green numerals, 1972 has white numerals; just
like the instruments."

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old April 16th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks Owen, great info . . . .