What is it?

Old December 6th 08, 05:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G[_2_] Mike G[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default What is it?

What year, make, and model is this car?

Mike

--
The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime! It is never too late to
become what I might have been.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	octoTrivia.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	171657
Old December 6th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Mike G" > wrote in message
> What year, make, and model is this car?

I dimly remember this thing. Or I *think* I do. Maybe I'm hallucinating.
But if I'm not - it was presented in an early 1960's magazine as a "Junior
Ferrari" built by Fiat, although if it had gone into production I doubt that
it would have carried the Ferrari name. 4-Cylinders of course. Don't
recall the body builder. Can't find anything under google.
--
Pat Durkin

Old December 6th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Szalay

"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in
:

> "Mike G" > wrote in message
>> What year, make, and model is this car?

> I dimly remember this thing. Or I *think* I do. Maybe I'm
> hallucinating. But if I'm not - it was presented in an early 1960's
> magazine as a "Junior Ferrari" built by Fiat, although if it had gone
> into production I doubt that it would have carried the Ferrari name.
> 4-Cylinders of course. Don't recall the body builder. Can't find
> anything under google.

I was thinking more Lancia with the split-grillwork..
Old December 6th 08, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"John Szalay" > wrote in message
42...

> I was thinking more Lancia with the split-grillwork..

You may be right John but I still want to hang with Ferrari/Fiat 'til
somebody comes along and proves me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
)
--
Pat Durkin

Old December 6th 08, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

This is an ASA built between 1962 and 1967. It was a Bizzarini design based
on an experimental 'Ferrarina' (baby Ferrari) first proposed in 1958 and
basically a baby Ferrari Testa Rossa. The brand made its appearance at the
Torino Show in 1961. It was powered by a tiny 1000cc in line 4 cylinder
engine that produced an amazing 91 hp that gave the coupe a top speed of 113
mph. It was very expensive and only 52 cars were delivered in 1964. I'd
make this a 1964. Here are a few other pictures of this little Italian
jewel.

max

"Mike G" > wrote in message
> What year, make, and model is this car?
>
> Mike
>
> --
> The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime! It is never too late
> become what I might have been.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000 GT Coupe + Spyder =max=.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	171691  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000=ThomasS=.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	171692  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000GT by Bertone-red-dash=mx=.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	171693  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000GT by Bertone-red-eng=mx=.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	171694  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000GT by Bertone-red-fVr=mx=.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	171695

Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000GT by Bertone-red-int=mx=.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	171696  Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 ASA 1000 coupe-1=mwb=.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	171697  Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 ASA 1000 coupe-2=mwb=.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	171698  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 ASA 1000 Coupe Bertone rV=max=.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	171700  Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 Asa 1000 GT =LF=z2199=.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	171701

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 ASA 1000 coupe-3=mwb=.jpg (53.5 KB, 20 views)
Old December 6th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Max Magister" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> This is an ASA built between 1962 and 1967. It was a Bizzarini design
> based on an experimental 'Ferrarina' (baby Ferrari) first proposed in 1958
> and basically a baby Ferrari Testa Rossa. The brand made its appearance
> at the Torino Show in 1961. It was powered by a tiny 1000cc in line 4
> cylinder engine that produced an amazing 91 hp that gave the coupe a top
> speed of 113 mph. It was very expensive and only 52 cars were delivered
> in 1964. I'd make this a 1964. Here are a few other pictures of this
> little Italian jewel.

Well I was kinda halfway right then. "Junior Ferrari" and "Baby Ferrari"
are pretty much interchangeable. I actually googled Baby Ferrari but got
frustrated by ads for toy makers & so-on so I changed to Junior Ferrari.

I blew the Fiat call though.

Good job Max.
--
Pat Durkin

Old December 7th 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Ryan Sharpe

These two photos are from 'The Ferrari' by Hans Tanner, published in
1964.

The text does not mention the Type 850 but says this about the ASA:

"In the period 1957 to 1963 he [Ferrari] also built a brand new engine
which was scheduled for a small capacity touring car. This engine was
first installed in a Fiat 1100-cc chassis and was thoroughly developed
by Ferrari. At one time there were plans to develop this car for
Ferrari production, but it would have required a greater layout than
Ferrari and his newly formed SEFAC company were willing to put out.

Finally the engine design was sold for production to the De Nora
family who began construction of the small four cylinder Ferrari under
the name of ASA 'Mille'. The future of this car is at the time of
writing very much undecided."

The 850 appears to be a different car and the machine gun badge on the
grille suggests Ferrari may have had the idea of marketing it under a
different name.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:14:01 -0800, "Max Magister"
> wrote:

>This is an ASA built between 1962 and 1967. It was a Bizzarini design based
>on an experimental 'Ferrarina' (baby Ferrari) first proposed in 1958 and
>basically a baby Ferrari Testa Rossa. The brand made its appearance at the
>Torino Show in 1961. It was powered by a tiny 1000cc in line 4 cylinder
>engine that produced an amazing 91 hp that gave the coupe a top speed of 113
>mph. It was very expensive and only 52 cars were delivered in 1964. I'd
>make this a 1964. Here are a few other pictures of this little Italian
>jewel.
>
>max
>
>"Mike G" > wrote in message
>> What year, make, and model is this car?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> --
>> The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime! It is never too late
>> become what I might have been.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 Ferrari type 850 (Ferrarina).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	171723
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASA 'Mille' prototype.jpg (349.2 KB, 29 views)
Old December 7th 08, 05:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Szalay

"Max Magister" > wrote in
ng.com:

> This is an ASA built between 1962 and 1967. It was a Bizzarini design
> based on an experimental 'Ferrarina' (baby Ferrari) first proposed in
> 1958 and basically a baby Ferrari Testa Rossa. The brand made its
> appearance at the Torino Show in 1961. It was powered by a tiny
> 1000cc in line 4 cylinder engine that produced an amazing 91 hp that
> gave the coupe a top speed of 113 mph. It was very expensive and only
> 52 cars were delivered in 1964. I'd make this a 1964. Here are a few
> other pictures of this little Italian jewel.
>
> max

Thanks very interesting..