iPod in 156

Old May 2nd 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default iPod in 156

Hi everyone,

I just bought a (late) 2002 156 1.6 Veloce, my first Alfa, and also my
first car. Under the driver's seat are two cables, which I assume are
power and data cables for a CD changer (it has the standard Alfa cd
player in the dash). Does anyone know of any way to plumb an iPod in so
that it can be controlled from the steering wheel controls?

Thanks,

James

Old May 2nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hi James

I have a Blaupunkt ipod interface cable in my GTA, which has the same
audio as the facelift 156 (i think). This cable has a connector that
replaces the cd autochanger 8-pin mini-ISO connector at the back of the
head unit. The steering wheel controls can be used to control the ipod.
All well and good, except, at least with my ipod video, the bloody
thing keep hanging and then not working until the whole thing is reset
- meaning removing the cable from the back of the head unit! Needless
to say I'm pretty disappointed and don't bother with it anymore.

see www.blaupunkt.co.uk

Paul
156 GTA

Old May 2nd 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Oggy" > wrote in news:1146574860.236544.222350
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

The one that Oggy expressed is one possibility. The other is to look for
the new Brera or 159 audio control unit that has the USB port in the
dashboard. The CU is controlled by a Windows like platform that also
supports iPod.
It will be a little bit harder to mount but I personally used this device
and works great.
Old May 2nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

did this in my 147 and posted the following instructions last october. hope
it helps. you wont get ipod control as it only plugs into the headphone
socket but for less than £10 who cares!

Good luck,
Tom

Well I did it. Bought the following lead...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...003e733c1c2703

£8.49 incl p&p

One coat wire hanger and a pair of pliers to make the radio removal tool.
The lead needs to be shorted from points 13 to 14 which I did with just a
normal piece of electrical wire.

This website helped out a lot with some pictures...

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...185&PN=0&TPN=1

Dropped the wire down towards the passenger side and fed it into the glove
compartment, swapped the blue connectors and we're away. Select the cd
changer and we have sound. Dead easy - even for me who has never removed a
car radio before. Took 30 mins max, most of which was trying to persuade the
radio to get back in!

Only downside is I don't think the CD in the head unit will now work while
this lead is plugged in.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take a look at the options and
figure out which one to try.

James

Old May 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> I just bought a (late) 2002 156 1.6 Veloce, my first Alfa, and also my
> first car. Under the driver's seat are two cables, which I assume are
> power and data cables for a CD changer (it has the standard Alfa cd
> player in the dash). Does anyone know of any way to plumb an iPod in so
> that it can be controlled from the steering wheel controls?

These work very well, bloody expensive though

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4316.html