studded tires and the C5

Old December 6th 08, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default studded tires and the C5

Winter is coming--and if last winter is any indication, I need a
solution. The Corvette was unable to leave the garage for three
months last year because of snow. We have paved our driveway (725
feet cost almost $14K), and this should help a bit, but from our
driveway to the nearest paved road is another half mile. Worse, the
Corvette couldn't handle the snow on the state highway as I approached
the summit last year. Adding to the frustration, I am currently
working in Bend, Oregon every other week, and the natives tell me that
I should plan on seeing some serious ice in town.

So, there are four possibilities:

1. Buy a 4WD to use three months of the year. (Expensive.)

2. Rent a 4WD to use three months of the year. (VERY expensive.)

3. Trade my 2000 C5 in on a 2007 Jaguar X-type, which has full-time
4WD--and enough power and cornering not to feel like I am giving up
too much.

4. Studded tires?

The source of the C5's problems with traction on snow and ice is the
combination of rear wheel drive and very, very wide tires. As the
tires get wider, the amount of force per square inch declines.
There's roughly 700-750 pounds of force per rear tire--and with the
standard tires of the Corvette, this spread over an enormously wide
piece of rubber. My measurements suggest that the contact patch is
about 30-40 square inches--so roughly 19 psi of pressure. At a
certain point, the down force is so little that the tires simply have
no hope of getting any grip on either snow or ice.

The way that chains work, and studded tires, is by concentrating the
roughly 750 pounds of force per tire into a relatively tiny area--
perhaps as little as three square inches for chains--so 250 psi, or a
square inch for studs (so 750 psi). That's enough to break a hole in
the surface of the ice, and allow you to move forward. Ditto for
brakes.

So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
been your experience?
Old December 6th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
Snip
> So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
> been your experience?

Never needed them and have driven Corvettes year round in Michigan and
northern Ohio since 1956. It did get to be a bit of a hand full once
in the Smokies when I got caught in a storm that ended up dumping over
10 inches. I do run a set of open tread narrow tires on the back of
the C6 in the winter and during the spring rains.

I did get stuck once when I stopped to pick up my mail instead of
walking back out to get it after I put the C5 in the garage.

Old December 7th 08, 02:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

> wrote in message
> Winter is coming--and if last winter is any indication, I need a
> solution. The Corvette was unable to leave the garage for three
> months last year because of snow. We have paved our driveway (725
> feet cost almost $14K), and this should help a bit, but from our
> driveway to the nearest paved road is another half mile. Worse, the
> Corvette couldn't handle the snow on the state highway as I approached
> the summit last year. Adding to the frustration, I am currently
> working in Bend, Oregon every other week, and the natives tell me that
> I should plan on seeing some serious ice in town.
>
> So, there are four possibilities:
>
> 1. Buy a 4WD to use three months of the year. (Expensive.)
>
> 2. Rent a 4WD to use three months of the year. (VERY expensive.)
>
> 3. Trade my 2000 C5 in on a 2007 Jaguar X-type, which has full-time
> 4WD--and enough power and cornering not to feel like I am giving up
> too much.
>
> 4. Studded tires?
>
> The source of the C5's problems with traction on snow and ice is the
> combination of rear wheel drive and very, very wide tires. As the
> tires get wider, the amount of force per square inch declines.
> There's roughly 700-750 pounds of force per rear tire--and with the
> standard tires of the Corvette, this spread over an enormously wide
> piece of rubber. My measurements suggest that the contact patch is
> about 30-40 square inches--so roughly 19 psi of pressure. At a
> certain point, the down force is so little that the tires simply have
> no hope of getting any grip on either snow or ice.
>
> The way that chains work, and studded tires, is by concentrating the
> roughly 750 pounds of force per tire into a relatively tiny area--
> perhaps as little as three square inches for chains--so 250 psi, or a
> square inch for studs (so 750 psi). That's enough to break a hole in
> the surface of the ice, and allow you to move forward. Ditto for
> brakes.
>
> So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
> been your experience?

Studded tires are useless in anything other than very hard packed snow or
ice. Dry or wet pavement they are dangerous. If you don't want to buy a
beater for a few months get some Blizzak's for it.

Old December 7th 08, 02:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Dec 6, 9:30*pm, "Roy" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Winter is coming--and if last winter is any indication, I need a
> > solution. *The Corvette was unable to leave the garage for three
> > months last year because of snow. *We have paved our driveway (725
> > feet cost almost $14K), and this should help a bit, but from our
> > driveway to the nearest paved road is another half mile. *Worse, the
> > Corvette couldn't handle the snow on the state highway as I approached
> > the summit last year. *Adding to the frustration, I am currently
> > working in Bend, Oregon every other week, and the natives tell me that
> > I should plan on seeing some serious ice in town.

> > So, there are four possibilities:

> > 1. Buy a 4WD to use three months of the year. *(Expensive.)

> > 2. Rent a 4WD to use three months of the year. *(VERY expensive.)

> > 3. Trade my 2000 C5 in on a 2007 Jaguar X-type, which has full-time
> > 4WD--and enough power and cornering not to feel like I am giving up
> > too much.

> > 4. Studded tires?

> > The source of the C5's problems with traction on snow and ice is the
> > combination of rear wheel drive and very, very wide tires. *As the
> > tires get wider, the amount of force per square inch declines.
> > There's roughly 700-750 pounds of force per rear tire--and with the
> > standard tires of the Corvette, this spread over an enormously wide
> > piece of rubber. *My measurements suggest that the contact patch is
> > about 30-40 square inches--so roughly 19 psi of pressure. *At a
> > certain point, the down force is so little that the tires simply have
> > no hope of getting any grip on either snow or ice.

> > The way that chains work, and studded tires, is by concentrating the
> > roughly 750 pounds of force per tire into a relatively tiny area--
> > perhaps as little as three square inches for chains--so 250 psi, or a
> > square inch for studs (so 750 psi). *That's enough to break a hole in
> > the surface of the ice, and allow you to move forward. *Ditto for
> > brakes.

> > So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? *And what has
> > been your experience?

> Studded tires are useless in anything other than very hard packed snow or
> ice. Dry or wet pavement they are dangerous. If you don't want to buy a
> beater for a few months get some Blizzak's for it.

My C5 stays garaged for most of the winter in Virginia. I take it out
on nice dry days when weather permits. I have a 4WD Ford Ranger and a
FWD Cadillac for winter use. That being said, the winters here are
nothing like Michigan (my wife's home state). I had the Ranger up
there last year at Christmas and it was so cold, the steering wheel
was frozen in place. No amount of studs would have helped me on that
one.

Bob Drake
BLUE C5 - VA
Old December 8th 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 11:25:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>Winter is coming--and if last winter is any indication, I need a
>solution. The Corvette was unable to leave the garage for three
>months last year because of snow. We have paved our driveway (725
>feet cost almost $14K), and this should help a bit, but from our
>driveway to the nearest paved road is another half mile. Worse, the
>Corvette couldn't handle the snow on the state highway as I approached
>the summit last year. Adding to the frustration, I am currently
>working in Bend, Oregon every other week, and the natives tell me that
>I should plan on seeing some serious ice in town.
>
>So, there are four possibilities:
>
>1. Buy a 4WD to use three months of the year. (Expensive.)
>
>2. Rent a 4WD to use three months of the year. (VERY expensive.)
>
>3. Trade my 2000 C5 in on a 2007 Jaguar X-type, which has full-time
>4WD--and enough power and cornering not to feel like I am giving up
>too much.
>
>4. Studded tires?
>
>The source of the C5's problems with traction on snow and ice is the
>combination of rear wheel drive and very, very wide tires. As the
>tires get wider, the amount of force per square inch declines.
>There's roughly 700-750 pounds of force per rear tire--and with the
>standard tires of the Corvette, this spread over an enormously wide
>piece of rubber. My measurements suggest that the contact patch is
>about 30-40 square inches--so roughly 19 psi of pressure. At a
>certain point, the down force is so little that the tires simply have
>no hope of getting any grip on either snow or ice.
>
>The way that chains work, and studded tires, is by concentrating the
>roughly 750 pounds of force per tire into a relatively tiny area--
>perhaps as little as three square inches for chains--so 250 psi, or a
>square inch for studs (so 750 psi). That's enough to break a hole in
>the surface of the ice, and allow you to move forward. Ditto for
>brakes.
>
>So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
>been your experience?

buy yourself a used front wheel drive car of some type to drive around
in the winter.

buy some type of used SUV 4wheel drive to drive or 4wheel drive
pickup.

Some cars are not meant to be driven in the ice and snow. Why drive
the vette in the winter...with all the road salt and other crap?
-----------
Elbert

Old December 8th 08, 08:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Dec 6, 2:25 pm, wrote:

> So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
> been your experience?

Buy a huge gas guzzling SUV. They're so cheap, it's ridiculous,
because nobody wants one anymore. You could buy a fairly nice Grand
Cherokee for what a spare set of tires/wheels will cost for your
Corvette.

You didn't specify what tires you're using now. The difference
between summer tires and all-season tires is unbelievable.

Old December 9th 08, 03:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote in message
> On Dec 6, 2:25 pm, wrote:
>>
>> So, how many of you have used studded tires on a C5? And what has
>> been your experience?
>>

> Buy a huge gas guzzling SUV. They're so cheap, it's ridiculous,
> because nobody wants one anymore. You could buy a fairly nice Grand
> Cherokee for what a spare set of tires/wheels will cost for your
> Corvette.
>
> You didn't specify what tires you're using now. The difference
> between summer tires and all-season tires is unbelievable.

To obtain a "all season" designation a tire has to perform in 3" of snow.
Not much imo.

Old December 9th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Dec 8, 10:21 pm, "Roy" > wrote:

> To obtain a "all season" designation a tire has to perform in 3" of snow.
> Not much imo.

1/8 inch of snow is all it takes to strand a summer tire. Ignoring
the tread pattern, all-season tires are siped (sort of) which makes
all the difference on ice. I wouldn't use summer tires in the summer
unless I lived in a place that didn't rain for half the year.

Old December 9th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote in message
> On Dec 8, 10:21 pm, "Roy" > wrote:
>>
>> To obtain a "all season" designation a tire has to perform in 3" of snow.
>> Not much imo.

> 1/8 inch of snow is all it takes to strand a summer tire. Ignoring
> the tread pattern, all-season tires are siped (sort of) which makes
> all the difference on ice. I wouldn't use summer tires in the summer
> unless I lived in a place that didn't rain for half the year.

If one can't drive in 1/8 inch of snow, one should park the car imo. Let's
face it no tire does both well. A dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak imo, is
the best for winter use but you will wear them out if used in the summer.

Old December 9th 08, 01:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
drb[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:59:50 -0500, "Roy" > wrote:

>"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote in message
>> On Dec 8, 10:21 pm, "Roy" > wrote:
>>>
>>> To obtain a "all season" designation a tire has to perform in 3" of snow.
>>> Not much imo.

>> 1/8 inch of snow is all it takes to strand a summer tire. Ignoring
>> the tread pattern, all-season tires are siped (sort of) which makes
>> all the difference on ice. I wouldn't use summer tires in the summer
>> unless I lived in a place that didn't rain for half the year.
>>

>If one can't drive in 1/8 inch of snow, one should park the car imo. Let's
>face it no tire does both well. A dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak imo, is
>the best for winter use but you will wear them out if used in the summer.

As long as I can remember growing up in NY, my dad had 2 sets of tires
for any car he owned ... snow tires for winter, regular tires for the
rest of the year. That said, I don't recall doing the same... I
believe I just used All Season tires year long when I was there before
I left for the south.

And from my experience, no matter what tires you have on, it can't
overcome stupid winter driving. There is an art to driving in snow or
ice (done it many times many years ago).