29.8 average mpg on highway doing 75 mph with a/c on. I love myCorvette 'economy' car !

Old September 23rd 08, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Default 29.8 average mpg on highway doing 75 mph with a/c on. I love myCorvette 'economy' car !

On Sep 23, 8:18*am, "Dad" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Sep 22, 11:41 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
>

> > "Spud" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > REPLY: Theres no need to do math ; the DIC gives you the Average
> > > MPG
> > > for the gasoline youve consumed in real time . I havent re-filled
> > > the
> > > tank since i got home but i filled her up in Effingham, Il and
> > > drove
> > > to Lake Villa, Il on 3/4 tank of gas. Dont know exactly now far
> > > that is, but, like i said...the DIC computes the Average MPG as
> > > you
> > > are driving. You can see it changing in tenths of MPG as you are
> > > driving along --- when you go up a long steep incline in the road
> > > it
> > > will drop a tenth or two and when you are driving on level road it
> > > will gain a tenth or more, over time. Questions ?

> > > I understand average mpg and the DIC. My only question is why
> > > would
> > > your car perform better than the EPA estimate, which is high most
> > > of
> > > the time. My C5 Z06 actually got the EPA rated 26 mpg on one trip.
> > > Doing a constant 75 mph on the interstate, non stop. So if you got
> > > 30 mpg, I'm tickled for you. But why would your car do better than
> > > the EPA numbers:http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm, which
> > > is 24 mpg. I guarantee my new '08 Z06 ain't gonna get the 24. Have
> > > you modified the LS-2 or the intake and exhaust?

> > > Ed

> > You may be on to something Ed, it's 261 miles from Effingham to Lake
> > Villa. The C6 has an 18 gallon take and 3/4 of that is 13.5 gallons
> > which works out to about 19.33 MPG. I think he missed that one about
> > 10^40,000 th power, just a guess on my part.- Hide quoted text -

> >REPLY: *No, i didnt miss that one about 10^40,000 th power
> >probability
> >for life arising like atheists pretend Dad ; *Sir Fred Hoyle
> >calculated it and world reknown atheist Dr. Francis Crick (co
> >discoverer of the DNA structure) affirmed it in his own book. *How
> >ome you dont want a personal Creator to exist / *want your earliest
> >Ancestor to be slimey Pond Scum graduating to a 206 bone Corvette
> >Driver having 60 independent anatomical systems yet all working
> >collaboratively so you can go fast in your car ?! *..lol....

> Missed it again didn't you, or is the math lying like you do? See
> above and answer that, it is taken from what you said and comes out to
> 19.3 MPG. But then your other quotes are wrong also and you've been
> corrected countless times and won't acknowledge that. You're a fake
> and don't have the integrity to back up what you say..- Hide quoted text -

REPLY: Did you take into account that I drove from Effingham to Tower
Hill to Shelbyville to Tower Hill to Shelbyville before heading home
to Lake Villa, Il ? Unless you can prove the Average MPG real-time
bogus on my car as well as the other Posters confirmation on his 29
average MPG, its best to remain quiet Dad for youre looking
frustrated. Finally, can you tell us why you dont want God to exist
in your personal life ? Thank you much.
Old September 23rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

On Sep 23, 8:18 am, "Dad" > wrote:
> [...]

> Missed it again didn't you, or is the math lying like you do? See
> above and answer that, it is taken from what you said and comes out
> 19.3 MPG. But then your other quotes are wrong also and you've been
> corrected countless times and won't acknowledge that. You're a fake
> and don't have the integrity to back up what you say..- Hide quoted
> text -

^REPLY: Did you take into account that I drove from Effingham to
Tower
^Hill to Shelbyville to Tower Hill to Shelbyville before heading home
^to Lake Villa, Il ? Unless you can prove the Average MPG real-time
^bogus on my car as well as the other Posters confirmation on his 29
^average MPG, its best to remain quiet Dad for youre looking
^frustrated. Finally, can you tell us why you dont want God to exist
^in your personal life ? Thank you much.

Not what you said, here's a reminder....."REPLY: Theres no need to do
math ; the DIC gives you the Average MPG for the gasoline youve
consumed in real time . I havent re-filled the tank since i got home
but i filled her up in Effingham, Il and drove
to Lake Villa, Il on 3/4 tank of gas. Dont know exactly now far
that is, but, like i said...the DIC computes the Average MPG as you
are driving. "

I'm sure your God is somewhat against lying but how would you know
that? Disappointed, naw, you're performing down to you normal level,
pond scum.

Old September 23rd 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Sep 22, 1:33 pm, " > wrote:
> That was in my 2006 LS2 Coupe yesterday , 2 people, 75 lbs. of cargo,
> 300 mile trip., with a tad bit of city driving along the way....
> otherwise im sure it would hit 30 mpg (plus) . 6 speed Manual .

I commute in my '00 C5. When my coworkers see it, the first thing
they say is, "How can you afford all that gas?!?" Everyone seems to
think it gets 10MPG or something. They're floored when I tell them
that I average 28MPG and could do better if I wanted.

Next think I ask is, "So what do you get in your Camry?"

"20mpg..."

So, who drives the economy car?
Old September 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Spud wrote:
> REPLY: Theres no need to do math ; the DIC gives you the Average MPG
> for the gasoline youve consumed in real time . I havent re-filled the
> tank since i got home but i filled her up in Effingham, Il and drove
> to Lake Villa, Il on 3/4 tank of gas. Dont know exactly now far
> that is, but, like i said...the DIC computes the Average MPG as you
> are driving. You can see it changing in tenths of MPG as you are
> driving along --- when you go up a long steep incline in the road it
> will drop a tenth or two and when you are driving on level road it
> will gain a tenth or more, over time. Questions ?
>

> I understand average mpg and the DIC. My only question is why would your
> car perform better than the EPA estimate, which is high most of the time.
> My C5 Z06 actually got the EPA rated 26 mpg on one trip. Doing a constant
> 75 mph on the interstate, non stop. So if you got 30 mpg, I'm tickled for
> you. But why would your car do better than the EPA numbers:
> http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm, which is 24 mpg. I guarantee my
> new '08 Z06 ain't gonna get the 24. Have you modified the LS-2 or the
> intake and exhaust?
>
> Ed

On any trip, over easy terrain, the cruise
control in either my C4 or C5 will beat the EPA
estimates by a couple of miles per gallon.
(calculated) Same has held true for each of
mama's sedans but not my truck (I think GMC
tested it running downwind).

The L98 computer is somewhat crude and has some
sweet spots and some sour spots speed-wise. (ex:
70-75 gets better mpg than 65).

Dyno-tuning the C5 knocked the cruise control
mileage down a bit but, it still beats the EPA
highway on long level runs at 65 and 70.

Cruise control-OFF is a different matter. Being
well beyond 70 y.o. is an advantage when it
comes to mpg. :|

--
pj
Old September 23rd 08, 08:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
MikeSo

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
> On Sep 22, 1:33 pm, " > wrote:
>> That was in my 2006 LS2 Coupe yesterday , 2 people, 75 lbs. of cargo,
>> 300 mile trip., with a tad bit of city driving along the way....
>> otherwise im sure it would hit 30 mpg (plus) . 6 speed Manual .

> I commute in my '00 C5. When my coworkers see it, the first thing
> they say is, "How can you afford all that gas?!?" Everyone seems to
> think it gets 10MPG or something. They're floored when I tell them
> that I average 28MPG and could do better if I wanted.
>
> Next think I ask is, "So what do you get in your Camry?"
>
> "20mpg..."
>
> So, who drives the economy car?

My own experience on a recently completed trip in my 2004 A4 Coupe from
Seattle to Reno to Las Vegas to Salt Lake City then back to Seattle netted
an average of 28.2 MPG. This is based upon the info provided from the the
onboard computer, not "real-life" measures. At the beginning of each day I
reset the Averge MPG back to 00.0. The first day of my trip from Seattle to
Yreka, California netted me my highest daily averge of 29.4 MPG. Whenever
possible I used cruise control set to posted speed limits (give or take 1-5
MPH).

Although not scientific, I was extremely surprised and pleased with the
economical performance of my car.

Did I mention the stretches between Reno and Las Vegas where I would punch
it up to 110-120 MPH for short bursts of fun? :-)

When driven sanely, most all C5's and C6's will produce gas mileage numbers
that compare favorably to lots of cars thought of by the public as
"economical". I am always happy to tell others that my car can be added to
that same "economical" class ... and then speed away!

--

Thanks,
Mike

Old September 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Old September 24th 08, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

On Sep 23, 2:02 pm, "MikeSo" > wrote:
> The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
>
> > On Sep 22, 1:33 pm, " >
> > wrote:
> >> That was in my 2006 LS2 Coupe yesterday , 2 people, 75 lbs. of
> >> cargo,
> >> 300 mile trip., with a tad bit of city driving along the way....
> >> otherwise im sure it would hit 30 mpg (plus) . 6 speed Manual .

> > I commute in my '00 C5. When my coworkers see it, the first thing
> > they say is, "How can you afford all that gas?!?" Everyone seems
> > think it gets 10MPG or something. They're floored when I tell them
> > that I average 28MPG and could do better if I wanted.

> > Next think I ask is, "So what do you get in your Camry?"

> > "20mpg..."

> > So, who drives the economy car?

> My own experience on a recently completed trip in my 2004 A4 Coupe
> from
> Seattle to Reno to Las Vegas to Salt Lake City then back to Seattle
> netted
> an average of 28.2 MPG. This is based upon the info provided from
> the the
> onboard computer, not "real-life" measures. At the beginning of each
> day I
> reset the Averge MPG back to 00.0. The first day of my trip from
> Seattle to
> Yrekata, California netted me my highest daily averge of 29.4 MPG.
> Whenever
> possible I used cruise control set to posted speed limits (give or
> take 1-5
> MPH).
>
> Although not scientific, I was extremely surprised and pleased with
> the
> economical performance of my car.
>
> Did I mention the stretches between Reno and Las Vegas where I would
> punch
> it up to 110-120 MPH for short bursts of fun? :-)
>
> REPLY: PJ and Mike, Thanks for those corroborating factual
> testimonys ! Indeed, its possible to get more than what the
> factory states is typical when it comes to MPG on the highway for a
> C5/6 Corvette. Even around town, im averaging 18.5 consistently.

And 19.3 on trips.

Old September 24th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Spud wrote:
> REPLY: Theres no need to do math ; the DIC gives you the Average MPG
> for the gasoline youve consumed in real time . I havent re-filled the
> tank since i got home but i filled her up in Effingham, Il and drove
> to Lake Villa, Il on 3/4 tank of gas. Dont know exactly now far
> that is, but, like i said...the DIC computes the Average MPG as you
> are driving. You can see it changing in tenths of MPG as you are
> driving along --- when you go up a long steep incline in the road it
> will drop a tenth or two and when you are driving on level road it
> will gain a tenth or more, over time. Questions ?
>

> I understand average mpg and the DIC. My only question is why would your
> car perform better than the EPA estimate, which is high most of the time.
> My C5 Z06 actually got the EPA rated 26 mpg on one trip. Doing a constant
> 75 mph on the interstate, non stop. So if you got 30 mpg, I'm tickled for
> you. But why would your car do better than the EPA numbers:
> http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm, which is 24 mpg. I guarantee my
> new '08 Z06 ain't gonna get the 24. Have you modified the LS-2 or the
> intake and exhaust?
>
> Ed

From that same site, in a nutshell the MPG est. are adjusted down after
the test numbers are in.

See excerpt below from http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420f04053.htm

After the vehicles have been tested, the results are adjusted downward
to account for conditions that occur on the road that can affect fuel
economy which don't occur during laboratory testing, such as cold
temperature, aggressive driving, excessive use of power-hungry
accessories, among others. The city is adjusted downward by 10 percent,
and the highway by 22 percent.
The equation for calculating the city or highway average fuel economy,
given in miles per gallon (mpg), is:
Old September 24th 08, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

Kind of late getting into this thread...

To be honest I do not think the instand or overall milage that the
cars computer is any more accurate then trying to level brickwork with
your eyeballs as you are laying the bricks...

BUT I will guareentee you that my C5 6 speed ragtop will get at least
30 mpg over a 400 mile trip (only stopping at a few rest areas) down
Rt 81 ..done that more then a few times and I normally set the crusie
control at 82 mph and still pry that I do not get runover ...

This is actually filling the tank...then entering directly onto 81
driving 400 or so miles then actuallly filling the tank again...Then
doing the math with a pencil and a piece of paper...

Bob G

Old September 24th 08, 04:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Bob G. wrote:
> Kind of late getting into this thread...
>
> To be honest I do not think the instand or overall milage that the
> cars computer is any more accurate then trying to level brickwork with
> your eyeballs as you are laying the bricks...
>
> BUT I will guareentee you that my C5 6 speed ragtop will get at least
> 30 mpg over a 400 mile trip (only stopping at a few rest areas) down
> Rt 81 ..done that more then a few times and I normally set the crusie
> control at 82 mph and still pry that I do not get runover ...
>
> This is actually filling the tank...then entering directly onto 81
> driving 400 or so miles then actuallly filling the tank again...Then
> doing the math with a pencil and a piece of paper...

The on board computer's calculations are only as good as the data it has
to work with. If you are coasting and the computer is showing 70 MPG and
you reset it's calculations then it will immediately register 70 MPG. We
all know, however, we're not really averaging 70 MPG but we are - for
that short period of time given that small and non representative data
set. If you then punch it and a couple of 10 MPG figures come in it'll
average out around 40-50 MPG. It's only over time that the averages
start settling down. Over many months I've settled down to around 21.1 MPG.

BTW: Why is it that the maximum number you can get is 70 MPG? Previous
models went up to 99 MPG IIRC.

--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Press any key... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!