winter tires for C6?

Old November 15th 08, 12:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Brian Funk

Default winter tires for C6?

The time has come to replace the original tires on my 06 coupe (Z51). I am
thinking of taking a few winter (all weather) trips this year, and having
discovered how poor the original tires are in snow and cold, I need a
recommendation for a set of tires that are all weather and run flat. And a
bit less expensive that the Goodyear's?

Any thing out there?

I'll re-buy the performance tires later (with another set of
wheels)..........

brian

Old November 15th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Brian Funk" > wrote in message
> The time has come to replace the original tires on my 06 coupe
> (Z51). I am thinking of taking a few winter (all weather) trips this
> year, and having discovered how poor the original tires are in snow
> and cold, I need a recommendation for a set of tires that are all
> weather and run flat. And a bit less expensive that the Goodyear's?
>
> Any thing out there?
>
> I'll re-buy the performance tires later (with another set of
> wheels)..........
>
> brian

Don't make the Michelin mistake, they get slick and hard after they
have some miles on them and are used in the winter/cold. Used to have
them, 4 different sets, and took them off before they wore out because
they just would not hold the road in wet/winter weather.

Tried the Continental Contact Supreme and was more than satisfied on
two C5s. When the C6 needed better winter driving tires I could not
get them in the size to fit the C6. Looked at Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and
they to were a bit short on tire size for the C6. Since I was going to
drive in winter snow and Ice as well as rain I chose the Dunlop anyhow
and went a width narrower in the rear with the same circumference. The
only issue I have with them is that I have a hard time putting the
other set of wheels and tires back on because the Dunlop run so quiet,
smooth and responsive in wet driving.

Be aware that you will need pressure sensors and a re-learning tool to
change your wheels. Since there has been updates to the tire pressure
sensors and the adjoining monitoring system since I bought mine you
need to do some research on what is now the working frequency and
sensor being used in you C6.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old November 17th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Nov 14, 7:24 pm, "Brian Funk" > wrote:
> The time has come to replace the original tires on my 06 coupe (Z51). I am
> thinking of taking a few winter (all weather) trips this year, and having
> discovered how poor the original tires are in snow and cold, I need a
> recommendation for a set of tires that are all weather and run flat. And a
> bit less expensive that the Goodyear's?
>
> Any thing out there?

I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats through last winter and was
pleased with the traction. This year it's Goodyear Eagle F1 All
Seasons. They work well in the rain so far. No snow here yet. The
Goodyears cost a lot less but they're not run-flats. Not an issue for
me since the car is rarely more than 50 miles from home.

Old November 18th 08, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
> On Nov 14, 7:24 pm, "Brian Funk" > wrote:
>> The time has come to replace the original tires on my 06 coupe (Z51). I am
>> thinking of taking a few winter (all weather) trips this year, and having
>> discovered how poor the original tires are in snow and cold, I need a
>> recommendation for a set of tires that are all weather and run flat. And a
>> bit less expensive that the Goodyear's?
>>
>> Any thing out there?
>>

> I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats through last winter and was
> pleased with the traction. This year it's Goodyear Eagle F1 All
> Seasons. They work well in the rain so far. No snow here yet. The
> Goodyears cost a lot less but they're not run-flats. Not an issue for
> me since the car is rarely more than 50 miles from home.

Can't speak for non-runflats on a C6; but, made
a year-round swap on my C5. Opinion: Unless
you're doing off-road driving, swap out the
run-flats.

Since 1947 I've had four tire failures on the
highway...about one each fifteen years. And,
three of those failures were within 5 miles of a
full-service towing outfit.

Over the same period, I've had two alternator
failures on the open highway. Both slowly took
the car to "all stop." Both failures were >50
miles from a garage and, I don't carry a spare
alternator.

The only time I lower the tire tray on the C4 is
to check the air in the spare or retrieve tools
and fasteners that fall into the tray. The C4
carries a pair of work gloves and a ground tarp.
I've used neither.

I drive "guts ball" runs across the Southwestern
deserts and can get 100 miles from nowhere.
That's what AAA, towing insurance and cell
phones are all about. (Carry a large canteen of
H2O, have a good book and don't sweat the details!)

Upside: Rain or dry, the C5 handles and rides
better with non-runflats. The cost per mile is
lower.

Downside: About once every two or three decades
I'm gonna have to wait a couple of hours for a
tow-truck to come looking for me. Ho-hum!

With only a decade or so of driving left, I may
dodge this bullet.

--
pj

winter tires dodger Dodge 10 December 22nd 07 04:30 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
WINTER TIRES, Get them or not???? [email protected] Driving 4 November 21st 05 03:06 AM
Winter Tires Pat Neeley Mazda 3 January 31st 05 09:59 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM