RSC and their mods

Old August 19th 05, 02:26 PM
Darus

Default RSC and their mods

Is it just me or are the moderators at RSC even more restrictive than
ever? It <seems> like more and more ppl. there have threads locked or
deleted, get "yellow warnings" and are otherwise muted by the
moderators. The mods seem to be the "be all, end all" on what is and is
not pertinent to a particular topic. If a mod doesn't like a topic or
the way a thread is going, they delete or lock it. I understand that
they have rules and a certain level of conduct is needed (i.e. no
racial slurs, swearing etc.) but far too many posts are deemed
"stupid", "unneeded" or "pointless". As they approach 200,000 threads
and 2.5 MILLION posts and 70,000 members, is the censorship of its
users going to worsen? One doesn't have to agree with a post or
thread, but they can still allow a thread to continue within the posted
rules. Certainly, posts soley intended to flame others aren't needed,
but a lively discussion on a topic in which ppl. have much passion on
both sides should be allowed.

I know, I know, "you don't HAVE to post there" or "if you don't like
the rules, leave" etc., but what USED to be a superior website for all
things Sim Racing, is now a website for supersized egos and
mega-powertrippers.

Old August 19th 05, 03:28 PM

RSC can burn.

Old August 19th 05, 05:12 PM
Rolf Wesemann

Some years ago, this was the place where mods were announced and this
without moderators
Rolf

Old August 19th 05, 07:30 PM
Jeff Reid

It's one thing to give a private warning, it's another
to label a person's threads with a warning avatar on
ever post that person makes.

I got a warning for postig a link to a video of David
Coulthard doing a qualifying lap back in 2002. This video
was widely available back then, and I believe to be
public domain. One of the moderators gave me a warning
for posting a link to this video claiming he thought it
was copywrighted. I explained that it was widely available,
but his response is that the warning only lasted a week,
rather than try to defend his position. So it's "guilty"
until proven innocent.

I responded that labeling a person's posts with warning
avatars was similar to defamation of character. Then mbrio
jumped in on the thread and asked me to send a letter
stating I wouldn't sue then and agree to their terms.

Instead I told them I was leaving RSC, considered all of
my posts to be copywrighted and that they no longer had
permission to host them. So they ended up deleting
over 700 posts I had made over the years.

Old August 19th 05, 08:29 PM
whooo

Jeff Reid wrote:
> It's one thing to give a private warning, it's another
> to label a person's threads with a warning avatar on
> ever post that person makes.
>
> I got a warning for postig a link to a video of David
> Coulthard doing a qualifying lap back in 2002. This video
> was widely available back then, and I believe to be
> public domain. One of the moderators gave me a warning
> for posting a link to this video claiming he thought it
> was copywrighted. I explained that it was widely available,
> but his response is that the warning only lasted a week,
> rather than try to defend his position. So it's "guilty"
> until proven innocent.
>
> I responded that labeling a person's posts with warning
> avatars was similar to defamation of character. Then mbrio
> jumped in on the thread and asked me to send a letter
> stating I wouldn't sue then and agree to their terms.
>
> Instead I told them I was leaving RSC, considered all of
> my posts to be copywrighted and that they no longer had
> permission to host them. So they ended up deleting
> over 700 posts I had made over the years.

I understand your annoyance, but they were under no obligation to remove
all your posts because you had put them into the public domain. You did
still hold the copywrite, however.
Old August 19th 05, 10:07 PM
Bruce Kennewell

Copyright; The RIGHT to ownership.

Old August 19th 05, 11:38 PM
whooo

Bruce Kennewell wrote:
> Copyright; The RIGHT to ownership.
>
> "whooo" > wrote in message
>
>>Jeff Reid wrote:
>>You did still hold the copywrite, however.

sorry, yeah, copyRIGHT
Old August 20th 05, 12:19 AM
Jeff Reid

> I understand your annoyance, but they were under no obligation to remove all your posts because you had put them into
> the public domain. You did still hold the copywrite, however.

It would have been tested in court if they didn't remove them.
(Read on to see the basis for this).

Nothing in the rules at RSC or the agreement when you join gives them
permission to publicly attach warning avatars to every post you make.
In my experience these are handed out on a "assumed guilty until
proven innocent" basis, they aren't fair, and violate their own rule:

"4.1 - Any content that is false, abusive, defamatory, or harassing
is not permitted."

Every warning avatar attached by RSC is "content that is abusive and
harassing". In my case they were also "false and defamatory".

I consider the attachment of warning avatars to a person's posts to be
a violation of the agreement when I joined RSC. My posts at RSC were
a part of this agreement, and they had my implicit permission to
display my copyrighted posts, until they violated the agreement.

They gave me an ultimatim of either sending a letter agreeing to
be abused by their posting of warning avatars or be banned. I had
already responded that I considered the warning avatars to be
a defamation of character. Mbrio responded that they were afraid
of being sued by anyone that considered their behavior to be
defmation of character, and were going to ban me unless I agreed
in writing to accept their abuse and harassment. I responded that
I would refuse to agree to accept such behavior, and would seek legal
action regarding their behavior (defamation of character), and
copyright violations if they didn't remove all my posts.

Old August 20th 05, 12:23 AM
Jeff Reid

> Nothing in the rules at RSC or the agreement when you join gives them
> permission to publicly attach warning avatars to every post you make.
> In my experience these are handed out on a "assumed guilty until
> proven innocent" basis, they aren't fair, and violate their own rule:
>
> "4.1 - Any content that is false, abusive, defamatory, or harassing
> is not permitted."
>
> Every warning avatar attached by RSC is "content that is abusive and
> harassing". In my case they were also "false and defamatory".

Maybe I should start a class action lawsuit to get them to
stop this behavior ...

Old August 20th 05, 01:50 AM
jason moyer

Jeff Reid wrote:

> Nothing in the rules at RSC or the agreement when you join gives them
> permission to publicly attach warning avatars to every post you make.

It's a private forum that you chose to participate in voluntarily. The
administrators and moderators of the site can run it however they see
fit, and if you don't like it you can either deal with them personally
or go somewhere else.