Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

Old May 26th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX with manual door locks.

In the last few days, I've had difficulty inserting the key into the door lock on the driver's side. It's become impossible at times today, which forces me to get in the car from the passenger's side so I can unlock the driver's side door. (Fortunately, that door lock isn't problematic. This confirms that the problem is specific to the driver's side door lock.) Now I'm missing the front bench seat and column-mounted shifter that some GMs, Fords, and Chryslers used to have. Sliding into the driver's seat from the other side of the car isn't an option in a car with bucket seats.

At the beginning of last year, I had the same problem with the trunk lock - the key wouldn't go all the way in, and I had to use the remote trunk release to open the trunk. The tumblers in the trunk lock were the problem. So I had to have the trunk lock replaced, and I have to use a different key to open it. (The dealer offered me the option of having the trunk lock configured to work with the original key, but I decided against spending the extra money this would have required.)

I'll have to take my car to the dealer again and see if the tumblers in the driver's side door lock are the problem.

How common is it for cars to have bad tumblers? Is there anything I can do to prevent bad tumblers?

How much risk is there that I'll have the same problem later with the ignition? I'm hoping that the more protected environment of the ignition switch will prevent such a problem from happening there. But if the problem happens there, it will be much more serious. At least when the problem is just a door or trunk lock, I have workarounds. If I can't insert the key into the ignition, then I'll be stranded and have to call for a tow truck.
Old May 27th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:14:58 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

> You know that little flap you need to push aside to get the key in the
> lock? Does that flap still close on your lock?

The flap never failed. Today, I'm able to stick the key all the way in the door lock on the driver's side, but I can't turn it.

Interestingly enough, the flapper on the driver's side door lock failed in my previous car (1988 Honda Civic), but I never had a problem with that lock.

Old May 27th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

wrote in
:

> On Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:14:58 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>

>> You know that little flap you need to push aside to get the key in
>> the lock? Does that flap still close on your lock?
>>

> The flap never failed. Today, I'm able to stick the key all the way
> in the door lock on the driver's side, but I can't turn it.
>
> Interestingly enough, the flapper on the driver's side door lock
> failed in my previous car (1988 Honda Civic), but I never had a
> problem with that lock.

You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the winter?

Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this purpose.

If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.

Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of the lock
a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.

Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn keys
will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.

Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.

--
Tegger
Old May 28th 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:21:53 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the winter?
>
> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this purpose.
>
> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
> sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
> thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.
>
> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
> aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of the lock
> a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>
> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn keys
> will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.
>
> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.

It's been as cold as -30 degrees here. However, I find it hard to believe that the problem with the driver's side door lock is weather-related given that I had no problems until a few days ago.

What kind of oil do I need? How do I know that this wouldn't make the problem worse? (You said that graphite would make the problem worse.)

If the light oil works, is it a permanent fix, or do I still need to have the tumblers or other lock mechanism fixed/replaced? Would it be a good idea to treat the door lock on the passenger's side as preventative maintenance? Is there a chance that I could ever have a similar problem with the ignition? If that happens, I'd need to call for a tow truck.
Old May 28th 12, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

wrote in
:

> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:21:53 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the
>> winter?
>>
>> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this
>> purpose.
>>
>> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
>> sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
>> thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.
>>
>> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
>> aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of
>> the lo

> ck
>> a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>>
>> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn
>> keys

>> will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.
>>
>> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.
>>

> It's been as cold as -30 degrees here. However, I find it hard to
> believe that the problem with the driver's side door lock is
> weather-related given that I had no problems until a few days ago.

You didn't read my whole message. See the part about the key.

> What kind of oil do I need?

Just what I said: the "lightest, thinnest oil" they have.

> How do I know that this wouldn't make the
> problem worse? (You said that graphite would make the problem worse.)

The thicker the oil, the slower the lock will turn in the depths of winter.
That's why I asked about your local temperatures.

> If the light oil works, is it a permanent fix, or do I still need to
> have the tumblers or other lock mechanism fixed/replaced?

You've just answered your own question.

> Would it be
> a good idea to treat the door lock on the passenger's side as
> preventative maintenance?

If it works for the driver's lock, and if the driver's lock still turns
easily in January, then yes.

> Is there a chance that I could ever have a
> similar problem with the ignition?

If the problem is due to a worn key, then yes. The primary difference
between interior and exteerior locks is their exposure to weather.

--
Tegger
Old May 28th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Douglas C. Neidermeyer[_4_]

On 5/27/12 2:21 PM, Tegger wrote:
> wrote in
> :
>
>> On Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:14:58 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>>

>>> You know that little flap you need to push aside to get the key in
>>> the lock? Does that flap still close on your lock?
>>>

>> The flap never failed. Today, I'm able to stick the key all the way
>> in the door lock on the driver's side, but I can't turn it.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, the flapper on the driver's side door lock
>> failed in my previous car (1988 Honda Civic), but I never had a
>> problem with that lock.
>>

> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the winter?
>
> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this purpose.
>
> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
> sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
> thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.
>
> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
> aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of the lock
> a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>
> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn keys
> will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.
>
> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.

I thought those dry powdered graphite-packed syringes were a
locksmith's first response for sticky keyways/tumblers??
Old May 28th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Douglas C. Neidermeyer" > wrote in
:

> On 5/27/12 2:21 PM, Tegger wrote:

>> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.
>>

> I thought those dry powdered graphite-packed syringes were a
> locksmith's first response for sticky keyways/tumblers??

Ordinarily, I guess they would be. The problem with car locks -- and what
makes them different -- is that they pick up a lot of water, and water
that's sometimes mixed with salt.

Automakers install a little metal door in the key slot in an attempt at
keeping out most of the water. It does work against dust and dirt, but each
time you push the key into a wet lock, you push some water into the lock.
Locks are made of corrodable metals. Over time, corrosion makes the
tumblers stick in their sliding-recesses. This eventually causes the
tumblers to stop sliding, and either 1) the key won't go in, or 2) it won't
come out, or 3) it won't turn.

In addition to all that, the tiny spring that holds the flap closed tends
to break. And at that point the flap hangs open and allows /everything/
inside.

Graphite is meant to lubricate locks that are always DRY, or which have a
chance to dry out if wet, such as house locks. If you live in Arizona,
graphite will work for you. Otherwise, graphite in an automotive lock tends
to form a slurry with the water, making it take even longer to evaporate,
and letting it corrode the metal parts even more. Graphite does not prevent
corrosion.

Lock Ease, probably the most popular lubricant meant specifically for
locks, isn't really a good choice for automotive locks used in snowy
climates. You need an oily substance, not a graphite-y substance. Some will
tell you not to use an oil on account of dust, but that warning is not
applicable to car locks.

I have found that a substance called "Rust Check", which is apparently sold
only in Ontario, Canada, works the best. But then it never gets much below
-10F where I live. A very similar substance is sold under the Carwell brand
in New York State. The OP's problem is that he's in an area subject to
extremley low temperatures, so he needs an oil even lighter than the one
used by Carwell. A gun-shop or sewing-machine shop may be able to help.

--
Tegger
Old May 29th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/28/2012 04:30 AM, Tegger wrote:
> wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:21:53 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>>
>>> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the
>>> winter?
>>>
>>> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this
>>> purpose.
>>>
>>> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
>>> sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
>>> thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.
>>>
>>> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
>>> aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of
>>> the lo

>> ck
>>> a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>>>
>>> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn
>>> keys

>>> will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.
>>>
>>> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.
>>>

>> It's been as cold as -30 degrees here. However, I find it hard to
>> believe that the problem with the driver's side door lock is
>> weather-related given that I had no problems until a few days ago.

> You didn't read my whole message. See the part about the key.
>

>> What kind of oil do I need?

> Just what I said: the "lightest, thinnest oil" they have.
>

>> How do I know that this wouldn't make the
>> problem worse? (You said that graphite would make the problem worse.)

> The thicker the oil, the slower the lock will turn in the depths of winter.
> That's why I asked about your local temperatures.

tegger, the reason locksmiths sell graphite lube for car locks is that
it's a solid state lubricant - it doesn't freeze.

>> If the light oil works, is it a permanent fix, or do I still need to
>> have the tumblers or other lock mechanism fixed/replaced?

> You've just answered your own question.
>

>> Would it be
>> a good idea to treat the door lock on the passenger's side as
>> preventative maintenance?

> If it works for the driver's lock, and if the driver's lock still turns
> easily in January, then yes.
>

>> Is there a chance that I could ever have a
>> similar problem with the ignition?

> If the problem is due to a worn key, then yes. The primary difference
> between interior and exteerior locks is their exposure to weather.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum