GPL question

Old June 12th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Default GPL question

Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
through the turn. Any ideas?

Old June 12th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob_Simpson[_2_]

On Jun 12, 1:59*pm, APLer > wrote:
> Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
> angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
> know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
> the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
> through the turn. Any ideas?

This sounds like a problem with your force feedback. I'd recommend
reducing the latency to near zero (0.0005) or zero in the core.ini and/
or reducing the force acting on the wheel by increasing the torque
number.

I use brr's FF patch http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=4226 where
it's recommended to put damping to zero.
Old June 14th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Pat Dotson

> It's far too long since I played GPL...

Same here. But, generally speaking, increasing rebound damping should
help that. Stiffening front and rear roll bars might also help.

Pat Dotson
Old June 15th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Pat Dotson

> > ...but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or
> > spring/damper settings being soft so they are
> > compressing/decompressing?

> Perhaps. I'll try turning them to zero. However, it only happens when you
> hear tire squeal of course - just to clarify.

I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
oscillation as spring loads change.

--
Pat Dotson
Old June 16th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Pat Dotson > wrote in
:

>> > ...but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or
>> > spring/damper settings being soft so they are
>> > compressing/decompressing?

>> Perhaps. I'll try turning them to zero. However, it only happens when
>> you hear tire squeal of course - just to clarify.

> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
> oscillation as spring loads change.

Yeah, I realized that after the send button went down. Thanks.

Old June 17th 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
>> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
>> oscillation as spring loads change.

Assuming it's not related to GPL's tire modeling of sidewall flex.
I seem to recall some of the cars were prone to yawing mid-turn.

Old June 17th 10, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in :

>>> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
>>> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
>>> oscillation as spring loads change.

> Assuming it's not related to GPL's tire modeling of sidewall flex.
> I seem to recall some of the cars were prone to yawing mid-turn.

I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a BRM and
a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it *might be less -
that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to happen. I'll have to
experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn there is the one where I
first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have to try raising the damping a
lot higher to find out I think. I've used the recomendations in GRE, but
they didn't seem to stop it.