New Miata (er, MX-5)

Old April 22nd 10, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default New Miata (er, MX-5)

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded an
> occasional downshift?

Me, for starters, using the cruise control on a hilly Interstate.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 22nd 10, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
thomas[_6_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message
m...
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> "NetMax" > wrote in message so do your
>> test drive on a cold and a warm engine.
>>>
>>> net

>> good point!
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> The 6-speed on my "new" 2004 Mazdaspeed operates smoother than my old
> 5-speed.

2nd is a bit hard to get into on a cold welsh winter mornings on my 1999 6mt
(its better after 15minutes on a really cold day - it takes a little longer
than the water gauge to move - you can also change te oil to synthetic) -
also 6th gear is geared hardly any differennt to 5th from what I remember -
roughly 3500revs at 70mph

Old April 22nd 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
T.J. Higgins

In article > , Frank Berger wrote:
>The 6-speed runs 4,000 rpm at 80 mph. Unless I'm mistaken, my dearly
>departed 5-speed also ran 4,000 rpm at 80 mph, in 5th gear. Sure, a little
>quieter cruising at 80 would be nice for conversation and listening to
>music. I did downshift to 5th a couple of times on my trip home until I
>figured out it wasn't necessary. I'm not sure which setup I'd choose.

4000 rpm in my '99 5-speed gives an indicated 76 mph.

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old April 23rd 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded an
>> occasional downshift?

> Me, for starters, using the cruise control on a hilly Interstate.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Dang St. Louis! Hills, hills hills! Whatever! I grew up in Peoria, I
remember hills!

Chris
99BBB

Old April 23rd 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message >
> It's beautiful, too.

I agree but there are just too many of the Titanium MSM's. Although I don't
like the Black Mica as well as my good old 'Brilliant Black', to me, it'd be
worth it to have a more rare MSM. The Lava Orange is more unique I guess but
a bit too 'out there' for me.

Chris
99BBB

Old April 23rd 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message >
>> It's beautiful, too.
>>

> I agree but there are just too many of the Titanium MSM's. Although I
> don't like the Black Mica as well as my good old 'Brilliant Black',
> to me, it'd be worth it to have a more rare MSM. The Lava Orange is
> more unique I guess but a bit too 'out there' for me.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

In searching for the MSM, it seems to me there were as many Black ones as
Titanium. There were a surprising number of Oranges ones, considering the
number made. I don't actually ever recall seeing a MSM of any color around
here (Dallas).

Old April 23rd 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:22:53 -0500, Frank Berger wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> I agree but there are just too many of the Titanium MSM's. Although I
>> don't like the Black Mica as well as my good old 'Brilliant Black',
>> to me, it'd be worth it to have a more rare MSM. The Lava Orange is
>> more unique I guess but a bit too 'out there' for me.

> In searching for the MSM, it seems to me there were as many Black ones
> as Titanium. There were a surprising number of Oranges ones,
> considering the number made. I don't actually ever recall seeing a
> MSM of any color around here (Dallas).

To me it wasn't about color. I walked into the local stealership
carrying my golf clubs, and the sales guy laughed and said, "they'll
fit. The only Miata I have here today is this grey one..."

I knew exactly what it was. He did not. One mile into the test drive I
had the top down, my wife and I were both laughing, and that was that.

I would have preferred red. But that day, I would have bought it if it
was purple.
Old April 23rd 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-04-23, Carbon > wrote:

> To me it wasn't about color. I walked into the local stealership
> carrying my golf clubs, and the sales guy laughed and said, "they'll
> fit.

The will if you take the driver out of the bag. Where to put the
second set of clubs is the hard part. Back in my pre-miata days I
drove an Alfa spyder, and it had about 12" of cargo space behind the
seats (space that went all the way to the floor). It was just right
for a couple sets of golf clubs. I still sort of miss having that
storage space.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Either CONFESS now or
at we go to "PEOPLE'S COURT"!!
Old April 24th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Back in my pre-miata days I
> drove an Alfa spyder, and it had about 12" of cargo space behind the
> seats (space that went all the way to the floor). It was just right
> for a couple sets of golf clubs. I still sort of miss having that
> storage space.

Betcha don't miss 30k miles between valve jobs...

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 24th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-04-23, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Back in my pre-miata days I
>> drove an Alfa spyder, and it had about 12" of cargo space behind the
>> seats (space that went all the way to the floor). It was just right
>> for a couple sets of golf clubs. I still sort of miss having that
>> storage space.

> Betcha don't miss 30k miles between valve jobs...

Never had to have a valve job. Though I did have to have the clutch
rebuilt, the differential rebuilt, the 2nd gear snycro was pretty much
gone, it needed a ring job (it was running on 3 cyinders when I traded
it in), and I had to disconnect the 5th injector (the one in the
throttle-body) to keep it from flooding when starting.

And I had the "reliable" version after they switch to the Bosch
injection/ignition/engine-control system.

The solid rear axle wasn't a plus in bumpy corners either.

But, it was a Pinin Farina design. That almost made everything worth
while.

--
Grant