T-case shifted?

Old January 11th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

Default T-case shifted?

The Jeep: '97 TJ 4cyl auto, basically stock.

What's up: It's hard to shift into 4WD & 2WD. There is a gear type noise
when driving that was never there for the first 14 years. Did something
move in my driveline? Would it be cheaper to attempt to drive it 25 miles
to my repair shop or get it towed there? I'd hate to ruin something if it's
preventable.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Old January 12th 10, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

You will have to make the choice of driving vs towing for yourself.
Pretty hard to diagnose over the internet. A "gear type noise" could
cover a lot of issues.

When was the last time you checked or changed transfer case lube? If
it's low or contaminated with water, you need to deal with that NOW!!

Your front axle is turning at all times so the front axle output shaft
of the transfer case is always turning. As it wears it tends to get a
more and more distinct "whirr". If you have high miles (100k plus) you
might have a transfer case chain that is getting sloppy, that needs to
be attended to fairly quickly.

If it is a "clicking" or "snapping" noise, the U joints might need
attention. You have 6 of them, they rust out. If the noise gets much
worse when turning, that's a sure sign of the front axle spindle joints
needing replacement.

The hard shifting is commonly a misadjusted 4wd shift lever. You get at
the lever from underneath, put it in neutral, insert a pin through the
lever and the bracket. Then adjust the two rods to fit correctly.

YJ tranfer case in a CJ mark Jeep 7 July 13th 06 10:07 PM
Need Help for my case!!!!!! peter83810 Driving 13 March 7th 06 03:11 AM
Was the car alarm useful in this case? Arif Khokar Driving 9 October 27th 05 12:41 PM
What Case is AW? Busahaulic VW air cooled 2 August 25th 05 01:55 AM